Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Managing Expectations

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I didn't expect a big crowd.
I didn't expect a great atmosphere.
I didn't expect to see CH field our strongest 11.
I didn't expect a full sized programme (but equally I didn't expect to pay £2 for poster!).
I don't expect the club to take the EFL cup seriously when the riches of the Premier League are the main goal.

What I did expect to see is the second string at least look like they were interested in playing (with the exceptions of Manu and Goldson). These guys are unlikely to get a look-in in the league except possibly on the bench so you would expect that, when they get the chance to play (bearing in mind there is no reserve team football like the old days), they will give it their all. That was sadly lacking.

Still, there's always the Emirates FA Cup!!!!

theboybilly

I didn't expect a full sized programme (but equally I didn't expect to pay £2 for poster!).
I don't expect the club to take the EFL cup seriously when the riches of the Premier League are the main goal.

What I did expect to see is the second string at least look like they were interested in playing (with the exceptions of Manu and Goldson). These guys are unlikely to get a look-in in the league except possibly on the bench so you would expect that, when they get the chance to play (bearing in mind there is no reserve team football like the old days), they will give it their all. That was sadly lacking.

I bet most in that squad tonight will get at least one start in the league this season. I can only think Ankergren won't.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I bet most in that squad tonight will get at least one start in the league this season. I can only think Ankergren won't.

Agree about Ankergren but of the others, excluding existing first teamers that came on, they will only get a chance due to injury or suspensions!!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
When you think the clubs total recognized strike force played some part tonight, I think you could be correct.

We had our entire strike force on the pitch for half an hour.

There's a pattern developing I fear.

Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 08.04.47.png

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Goldson was awful, Uwe covered for him 2 perhaps 3 times in first half, but yes, these players should be pushing for the first team.

Last night they looked a long way off.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Goldson was awful, Uwe covered for him 2 perhaps 3 times in first half, but yes, these players should be pushing for the first team.

So the clamour for Goldson to walk back in to the team at Duffy's expense is NSC claptrap again?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX

TBF Goldson looked awful for the first few games when he first came to us. He has been injured when he gets up to speed I expect him to be challenging for a first team place. Remember he was a great addition to our defence when he settled in and one you would have no trouble to pencil in first on the team sheet.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
So the clamour for Goldson to walk back in to the team at Duffy's expense is NSC claptrap again?

Eventually he should based on last season alone, but last night he struggled. Needs to get match fit.

He was strapped up a bit and it didn't look like the 'new style' tape to prevent tears etc......

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
TBF Goldson looked awful for the first few games when he first came to us. He has been injured when he gets up to speed I expect him to be challenging for a first team place. Remember he was a great addition to our defence when he settled in and one you would have no trouble to pencil in first on the team sheet.

Yes, agree entirely. Still awful last night.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

The one thing you forgot to mention was that they would have been told '' try not to pick up any injuries '' - Not an excuse for a shit performance but at the very least a mitigating circumstance.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Spot on.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The one thing you forgot to mention was that they would have been told '' try not to pick up any injuries '' - Not an excuse for a shit performance but at the very least a mitigating circumstance.
It certainly looked like they were collectively that 10% "off the pace" that makes all the difference.

After both Reading goals there was a brief spell of notable urgency, and the last 20 minutes we played a decent tempo, but the rest of it was more like a training match.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Because of all your "I didn't/don't"s above, all of which I agree with, I found it difficult to take the whole thing seriously. I found myself also wondering (hopefully wrongly) if the players might have had the same attitude.

And then a perfect evening was completed by sitting in the Bridge car park for 20 minutes without moving. Is this normal? Shows how good Park and Ride is....... And then the M27 being closed on the way home round the back of Portsmouth.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Because of all your "I didn't/don't"s above, all of which I agree with, I found it difficult to take the whole thing seriously. I found myself also wondering (hopefully wrongly) if the players might have had the same attitude.

And then a perfect evening was completed by sitting in the Bridge car park for 20 minutes without moving. Is this normal? Shows how good Park and Ride is....... And then the M27 being closed on the way home round the back of Portsmouth.

Only 20 mins? You got out quick :moo:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

That's the one thing they wouldn't have been told!

Half hearted challenges cause injuries, and psychologically it wouldn't and shouldn't be even mentioned.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Almost guarantee you Pocognoli will be first choice left back once fitter.

I wouldnt place a bet on that granted it was his first game for us but he played pre season for WBA but he looked way behind Bong in all deparments, in fact I was expecting a lot more. He was not as good defensively or getting forward and very slow as the 2nd goal showed. He must have played for Belgium when they had a poor side and can fully understand why he doesnt figure in WBA plans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here