Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T 150 years of HG Wells.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

September 21st 2016, marks 150 years of HG Wells.
Wrote some fantastic science fiction , with the like of The Island of Doctor Moreau and the fabulous War of the Worlds.
Brilliant stuff :)

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Lived in Sussex too

Famous mainly now as the punchline to the old joke; "Where does mercury come from?"

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Some of Churchill's war speeches had H G Wells quotes in them. That's gone mostly unnoticed. Appears they were friends.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm still unsure as to why they chose Woking.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Leave us alone. He happened to live here and the Martians fictionally landed less than a mile from where I am typing this. We're happy he chose us. There's also been a cheap sci-if season in his honour here. I got to see Alien at the cinema for a fiver. Bargain.

Thanks HG.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Gene Wolfe does a wonderful homage to him in The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Did nobody tell Google? They are normally all over this stuff.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Leave us alone. He happened to live here and the Martians fictionally landed less than a mile from where I am typing this. We're happy he chose us. There's also been a cheap sci-if season in his honour here. I got to see Alien at the cinema for a fiver. Bargain.

Thanks HG.

Spend far too much time working in Woking (here now). Not a bad town, not a good one either. Herbert George Wells and The Jam are good examples of the town.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
My late nan was his cousin so in some small way I spose I'm related

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here