Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why? Why us and always against teams we have some sort of 'beef' with?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Down the years, is it me or do we save our worst performances for teams like Reading, Massive Wed, Palace, Orient, Brentford...FFS I'm just glad we're not in the same league as Crawley! We have some fantastic records against others but I'd rather swap Peterborough or Wolves for some of the aforementioned.

Regardless of manager, team, division ...we just seem to feck things up when playing 'these' sorts of clubs especially. Don't we?

PS Bloody hell Brighton, you really piss me off!:tantrum: (See Saturday, mind...)

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
If we had wanted to win we wouldn't have picked that team. Three or four changes fair enough but changing the whole team just says we don't give a ****. They can't be surprised nobody turned up knowing what team would be playing.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If we had wanted to win we wouldn't have picked that team. Three or four changes fair enough but changing the whole team just says we don't give a ****. They can't be surprised nobody turned up knowing what team would be playing.

I understand, however Reading didn't exactly out their first eleven out either. In fact they beat us with their 2nd 'ten' :)

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Crap cup.
2nd string / building match fitness.
It's Reading.

Who cares?

All of this.

However, it's worrying to see our reserves (and some first teamers) fail to produce.
They should be showing the boss why they should be selected to be a part of the first team.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Players were playing for places tonight. Unfortunately I don t think many made a big impression. I thought Baldock was decent, Goldson was better in 2nd half and if we get decent supply to Murray and Hemed they will score goals. The rest should look at this as a missed opportunity for them to pressure the starting 11. Well on to the important things this weekend and look to 3 more points in the league

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Have we got a beef with Reading? I'm struggling to care about this result, partly because it's the League Cup and mainly because it's Reading. They really don't register at all with me as a team that we have a bit of history with.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Crap cup.
2nd string / building match fitness.
It's Reading.

Who cares?

I'm old school. Nothing wrong with winning everything you enter. All things being equal, Reading didn't care either. Why can't we not care and win for a change?!! Our League Cup history must relatively be THE worst of any club in the top 2 tiers.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
It's the 'EFL Cup', who gives a shit?

A chance to go to Wembley and not for a play off finals? One of my best days out as a Sunderland fan was the game against City a few years ago, so much better than chasing a place in the 'holy grail' league as neither Brighton nor Sunderland will ever compete (Leicester was a fluke last season)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Have we got a beef with Reading? I'm struggling to care about this result, partly because it's the League Cup and mainly because it's Reading. They really don't register at all with me as a team that we have a bit of history with.

You know what I mean. Many many Brighton fans dislike Reading, not in a Palace way but just because well, they've done better than us and are rather well, tinpot! It grates. Annoying. As I said, I wouldn't give a fig if many other clubs but we always seem to reserve defeats of this nature for 'them we dislike' in some measure!

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Tinpot competition. Who the hell cares about the result? No one! However concerns can be raised about some performances. Others can be excused because of a lack of playing time. Some coming back yes, Hunt good others should look in the mirror when you get home. I am not upset being out of this tinpot tourny. Get sharper BHA players.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

There was that whole thing where they did the pitch invasion for finishing 7th and the entire footballing world (or at least us and Burnley) relentlessly mocked them. I think they've had a bee in their collective bonnets since. Also, they seem to enjoy pointing out our lack of PL appearances; as if its something we aren't aware of. Also, also every Reading fan I've personally met has been an utter ****. Also, also, also, Reading is a dull place. Also, also, also, also it's football so any sort of perceived superiority will make the simplest of fools bask in glee.

So. That.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I'm old school. Nothing wrong with winning everything you enter. All things being equal, Reading didn't care either. Why can't we not care and win for a change?!! Our League Cup history must relatively be THE worst of any club in the top 2 tiers.
This.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
All the more reason for us not to make so many changes ourselves. Surely our first team can't be knackered already?

Is it now scientifically proven that 1st team players cannot play a cup followed by league game anymore do you think? Or is it simply because it keeps fringe players fit and happier, even if several need to be introduced to each other pre match?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Tinpot competition. Who the hell cares about the result? No one! However concerns can be raised about some performances. Others can be excused because of a lack of playing time. Some coming back yes, Hunt good others should look in the mirror when you get home. I am not upset being out of this tinpot tourny. Get sharper BHA players.

Spectacularly and predictably missing the point here!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Isn't it games like this where the players who are given the chance to shine, don't, which shows CH who he can really rely on.
Cup games are okay, but it's the Championship which counts at the end of the day and where we end up? :)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
There was that whole thing where they did the pitch invasion for finishing 7th and the entire footballing world (or at least us and Burnley) relentlessly mocked them. I think they've had a bee in their collective bonnets since. Also, they seem to enjoy pointing out our lack of PL appearances; as if its something we aren't aware of. Also, also every Reading fan I've personally met has been an utter ****. Also, also, also, Reading is a dull place. Also, also, also, also it's football so any sort of perceived superiority will make the simplest of fools bask in glee.

So. That.

That's more like it. Not forgetting our mini up through the leagues together but our lack of stadium cost us the same fulfilment of potential that they realised. Still, at least Bobby Z kicked a ball into the face of that Reading ball girl in the early noughties to strike a blow back on behalf of Albion fans. Even better he sent her some flowers afterwards and they bought his apology when we all knew he meant it and laughed, heartedly, all the way back to Brighton on the coach!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here