Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New York - best things to do in 2 days

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I fly to New York for the 1st time on Wednesday arriving Wednesday evening. We fly back Saturday lunchtime. I was wondering what are the best things to do in the 2 days myself and the wife have there.

I'm not doing the statue of liberty tour and I'm thinking ground zero will be very busy this time of year.

What do the people of NSC think are the best sites in 2 days?

Our Hotel is on 58th Street if that helps.

(and yes I miss Saturdays game, bad fan, but we booked it at the beginning of the year)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Don't do Statue of Liberty tour, but get the free ferry to Staten Island. If you are quick you can run round and get back on the same boat. Total trip about an hour maybe ? You'll go past statue, get the views of Manhattan etc.

Go up top of the rock not Empire State Building.

Go round Chelsea market etc and a few blocks north / south and around Greenwich. One of my favourite areas. Food market is cool too.

Walk the Highline. Great concept and bet it's nice this time of year.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Enjoy New York but be prepared for potential delays due to additional security as a result of weekend bombings. One of the guys in the office flew into JFK last night and said there were no problems but I was on my way to work this morning and they were checking a lot of backpacks etc in Grand Central.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Explosions in the Sky are playing two gigs there including Terminal 5 this week, I nearly went. Also, off the top of my head, Devandra Banhart, Large Professor, Brian Wilson and The Kills are all playing there between Wednesday and Friday.

I think MoMA is near where you're staying. Yellow Rat ******* and that bit round Lower Manhattan. I guess most people would say Williamsburg although I thought it was a bit too hipster, then again my patience has been exhausted by Brighton. Go to an Irish bar and do a bit of pool hustling. Chunter round on the subway listening to Tribe, Nas etc. Any of the shops round Times Square for cheap Air Maxes.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Don't do Statue of Liberty tour, but get the free ferry to Staten Island. If you are quick you can run round and get back on the same boat. Total trip about an hour maybe ? You'll go past statue, get the views of Manhattan etc.

Go up top of the rock not Empire State Building.

Go round Chelsea market etc and a few blocks north / south and around Greenwich. One of my favourite areas. Food market is cool too.

Walk the Highline. Great concept and bet it's nice this time of year.
Good shouts.

Arrived here last night, no issues at the Airport or anywhere else so far.

I personally would visit Ground Zero.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Avenge your brother's death by planning a city-wide campaign of terror aimed at New York's schools as a ruse to breaking into the Federal Reserve Bank and stealing the gold bullion. A word of warning though, don't waste your time playing mind-games with NYPD.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I would spend a whole morning in Bleaker Street Records.

Observation deck of One Tower if the weather is clear, Ground zero is very well done and I would look to visit.

Top of the Rock, Central Station, Museum of Modern Art

I would skip Central Park unless you want to get lost. Avoid Times Square it makes Blackpool look up market and is always busy,

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Ground Zero for sure, outstanding. Rockefeller Centre is stunning and the views from the top are exactly what you'd hope for, Empire State Building is equally impressive. Grand Central Station is something to behold too from an architecture POV.

We also found that contrary to many stories, there are decent places to eat, and the beers available are excellent once you move away from the coors/bud/Stella options, try the Hells Kitchen area.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Another vote for Ground Zero, well worth the queue to get in - be worth booking your tickets in advance (I assume you can do this) to avoid queuing for tickets and then queuing to get in.

Another highlight for me was walking across Brooklyn Bridge and back again

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Get yourself a grey line city bus tour ticket. It's a hop on hop off and will take you to all the places you need to go. Just get off the bus have a wander around and then get on another bus! There's 2 loops plus a loop to Brooklyn!

essbee

Jan 5, 2005

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Chelsea Pier 62.. do Adirondack sail boat trip.... $40 ish.. but you won't get a better view of SOL and the whole of Manhatten... free beer too.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
Ice skating in central park south end is wicked with the city back drop. top of the rock in the evening is amazing too statue of liberty is good but like others have said best off just walking round the bottom of it.i went to the crown and tbh was nt worth it.l.if you goto grand central also check out the nyc library not far at all from the station.catch a Nets game or knicks game in the evening if you want a bit of all american sport

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here