Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help with a uni project - takes 1 minute

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm doing a group project as part of a course for my Master's degree and need to collect a bit of data. It's aimed at anyone who looks after (or has looked after) small children. Parents, teachers, childminders etc.

https://goo.gl/forms/5jwYdqKytdMPJjV03

It's only a few questions and takes about 30 seconds to complete. All replies will be very much appreciated. :thumbsup:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Hello.....i am a millionaire (if only)and am interested in your potential concept,do you have a patent yet and will you be allowing for the fact that you will pay yourself a salary in your business plan....
for a £10 investment i am looking for a 1% return on net profits..

However...........upon further scrutiny i,whilst acknowledging the upside of child tracking,also have issues with the potential pitfalls,the main being a child tracked by people whom shall we say do NOT have the child's best interests at heart.....therefore for that reason,i am out.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hello.....i am a millionaire (if only)and am interested in your potential concept,do you have a patent yet and will you be allowing for the fact that you will pay yourself a salary in your business plan....

However...........upon further scrutiny i,whilst acknowledging the upside of child tracking,also have issues with the potential pitfalls,the main being a child tracked by people whom shall we say do NOT have the child's best interests at heart.....therefore for that reason,i am out.

Doesn't have to be actual 'tracking' as such. A very simple version would just involve proximity: alarm sounds on your phone, when the distance from the phone to the paired 'device' (the child's tag / sticker) exceeds a set value. That value could be altered depending on your needs / level of paranoia / age of child / etc.

(You can have that for FREE, Charlie :thumbsup: )

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Haha, strangely enough the whole point of this course is to pitch an idea in a Dragon's Den style scenario at the end.

To give a bit more detail of the idea: the device would be a simple RFID tag which alerts you if the child goes outside the range of a WiFi router. So it's not tracking as such, just making sure they stay within a specific area.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Doesn't have to be actual 'tracking' as such. A very simple version would just involve proximity: alarm sounds on your phone, when the distance from the phone to the paired 'device' (the child's tag / sticker) exceeds a set value. That value could be altered depending on your needs / level of paranoia / age of child / etc.

:bowdown: thank you-
You can get a device for your wallet or keys for that,so the technology is already there,hmmm i am paranoid by nature,i'm still out.....

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Nail. Head. etc. :thumbsup:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Haha, strangely enough the whole point of this course is to pitch an idea in a Dragon's Den style scenario at the end.

To give a bit more detail of the idea: the device would be a simple RFID tag which alerts you if the child goes outside the range of a WiFi router. So it's not tracking as such, just making sure they stay within a specific area.

Well.....best of luck,think the idea is a good one in the main,but personally i prefer traditional values over technology when it comes to child care,that said i suppose it would be foolhardy not to embrace change and use modern ways to assist...

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Well.....best of luck,think the idea is a good one in the main,but personally i prefer traditional values over technology when it comes to child care,that said i suppose it would be foolhardy not to embrace change and use modern ways to assist...

Thanks. We have no intention of actually developing the product, it's just to come up with an interesting concept based on existing technology in order to pass the course!

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
In the olden days my dad used to tie us to things with wire. Did the trick but was a pain 'round Tesco if we got tangled in the trolley wheels.

I filled this in but thought it would have been handy to have a but of context on that last question. For a passive RFID sticker, I would only pay the first non-free bracket $1-$10 or whatever. But if it were an active device, which was reusable (sticker feels like a one-shotter) then I'd pay more. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here