Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anton Ferdinand

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Whatever happened to him?? Just looked and he's now at Southend United.

A crying shame, such atalented footballer who seems to have fallen from grace. I know he was a former PL player of the month and on the verge of an England call-up. Also linked with us a few years ago when he left Sunderland and certainly got the fans on here excited to be linked with a player of such calibre.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
wasnt that talented, didnt have much calibre.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
:bounce:

[tweet]1326897276166529027[/tweet]

This might shine a light on why such a promising player failed to realise his huge potential. Can't believe he's still only 35, could do a job for us now.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
:bounce:

[tweet]1326897276166529027[/tweet]

This might shine a light on why such a promising player failed to realise his huge potential. Can't believe he's still only 35, could do a job for us now.

While its quite possible he encountered some racism, I think him failing as a player probably was caused by himself. Always getting compared with his brother probably resulted in him getting complacent and believing he could just shrug his shoulders to the top.

While its quite possible he encountered some racism, I think him failing as a player probably was caused by himself. Always getting compared with his brother probably resulted in him getting complacent and believing he could just shrug his shoulders to the top.

Perhaps we should wait and see what he has to say before trivialising the amount of racism he encountered.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Perhaps we should wait and see what he has to say before trivialising the amount of racism he encountered.

Not trivialising the amount or the seriousity of it, just the impact on how good of a footballer he became. And no, not waiting to hear what he got to say about it. Remember when he said he was visiting his sick grandma, but in reality got a flight over to the US just to party? That screams "lack of professionalism stopped him from fulfilling his potential". While as I said he quite possibly faced racism, not just from Terry but from others, and he may have some interesting insights into that issue, its most likely not why his career turned out pretty meh.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Anyone who hasn't seen the Anton Ferdinand and racism documentary then it's on catch up on iPlayer. An uncomfortable watch but one I'd implore anyone to sit through to understand the impact racism still has on our game. Ferdinand admitted the racial abuse he suffered from JT and then on social media afterwards basically ended his career as a top player, and at a point in time where he had the world at his feet, and is still suffering from the impact to this day. Any doubters about the significance of taking the knee would do well to watch this and learn.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Anyone who hasn't seen the Anton Ferdinand and racism documentary then it's on catch up on iPlayer. An uncomfortable watch but one I'd implore anyone to sit through to understand the impact racism still has on our game. Ferdinand admitted the racial abuse he suffered from JT and then on social media afterwards basically ended his career as a top player, and at a point in time where he had the world at his feet, and is still suffering from the impact to this day. Any doubters about the significance of taking the knee would do well to watch this and learn.

It certainly was an uncomfortable watch. Ferdinand came across very well, genuinely confused like a little boy lost and obviously deeply affected by it.

I didn't realise that he was totally oblivious to Terry's comments when they were made and was on a complete high at the end of the game after beating Chelsea and scoring against them. It was only after the match was over that he was alerted to Terry's comments that his world came crashing down. It was'nt even his decision that legal action was taken against Terry, it was completely out of his hands and he would have preferred the matter was swept under the carpet. He now realises that his response to it was wrong and even feels ashamed that he thought that way.

I was also surprised how clear the video evidence was of Terry's words even without any lip reading skills. I think Terry showed a real lack of moral courage in his refusal to speak to Ferdinand for the programme. He could have done a lot to salvage his reputation if he had but is obviously too thick to realise that.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It certainly was an uncomfortable watch. Ferdinand came across very well, genuinely confused like a little boy lost and obviously deeply affected by it.

I didn't realise that he was totally oblivious to Terry's comments when they were made and was on a complete high at the end of the game after beating Chelsea and scoring against them. It was only after the match was over that he was alerted to Terry's comments that his world came crashing down. It was'nt even his decision that legal action was taken against Terry, it was completely out of his hands and he would have preferred the matter was swept under the carpet. He now realises that his response to it was wrong and even feels ashamed that he thought that way.

I was also surprised how clear the video evidence was of Terry's words even without any lip reading skills. I think Terry showed a real lack of moral courage in his refusal to speak to Ferdinand for the programme. He could have done a lot to salvage his reputation if he had but is obviously too thick to realise that.

Yes, I thought Terry’s defence of “I was only repeating what he said to me” was more than a little thin.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I thought it was a very moving documentary and really felt for Anton and the way all the control was taken away leaving him a victim who was hounded by trolls and booed around the grounds while Terry virtually got off with it being backed up by team mates the FA and even the England manager absolutely disgusting, as Harry Rednap said this clearly had an effect upon Antons career and I suspect his mental health suffered, as a white man I felt ashamed that someone could do that to another human and not own up and give Anton the apology he deserved.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
At the time it was so obviously a lawyer's suggested way to wriggle out of it. Just couldn't be proven beyond doubt and hence why he got away with it. Bit like a certain West Brom/Burnley player.

Yes, my thoughts exactly, although I'd add that the phrase "breath f&*^ing stinks" is even more implausible.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Pundit on SSN for the Frankfurt v West Ham game. Talks a great deal of sense, think he will have a big career in the media now.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Pundit on SSN for the Frankfurt v West Ham game. Talks a great deal of sense, think he will have a big career in the media now.

Sorry Crodo there are more than enough dull but worthy media friendly celebrities in the mix.

Here is my pitch for a Channel 4 series

"Les smash it up" Every week Les Ferdinand and a guest celebrity have to break into a hard to access garden (think owned by other celebrities or public gardens) and vandalise and get out without getting caught.
Week One Eamonn Holmes' back garden
Week Two the weird Diana water feature in Hyde Park
Week Three the BBC revisited an update on the Blue Peter Italian Sunken Garden episode
Week Four Monty Don
Christmas Special - Piers Morgan

I am sure the good people of NSC can add a few more unmissable episodes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here