Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gascoigne to pay £1000 compensation ......

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Following his tasteless remark about a black man he is fined £1K plus £1K compensation to the victim.....Goodness me!

I abhor real racism but is this not totallyout of proportion?
Makes me wish someone would racially abuse me.....

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Following his tasteless remark about a black man he is fined £1K plus £1K compensation to the victim.....Goodness me!

I abhor real racism but is this not totallyout of proportion?
Makes me wish someone would racially abuse me.....
I don't know - what happened?

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
He is alleged to have made a 'joke' about a black security guard who he spotted in a darkened corner of the stage and said he could not tell "if he is smiling or not".

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Seems the Judge wanted to make a point given his comments included '...A message needs to be sent that in the 21st century society that we live in, such action, such words will not be tolerated.....'

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
What's the world coming to when you can't mock someone about the colour of their skin without the OB getting involved? It's not even racist if it's a joke.

Political correctness gone mad.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I was at an Albion event at the Grand a few years ago where Jimmy Case made exactly the same remark to Chris Ramsey who was also present. You could see CR was embarrassed but he felt he had to shrug it off.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I feel a bit sorry for anyone who gets made an example of like this and it certainly isn't evidence that Gazza is inherently racist, but you can't say stuff like that anymore and especially not in public.

It reminds me a bit of when you heard old people say something racist because they didn't know any better.

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
What's the world coming to when you can't mock someone about the colour of their skin without the OB getting involved? It's not even racist if it's a joke.

Ah yes, the good old "only a joke" defence.

So "What's red on the outside, brown on the inside, screams and makes you want to laugh?" is not racist even when the answer is a Bus load of Pakistanis driving over a cliff?

Jolly good fun, what? And, as it happens, racist.

At the same time, I agree this court case is PC gone way too far.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Ah yes, the good old "only a joke" defence.

So "What's red on the outside, brown on the inside, screams and makes you want to laugh?" is not racist even when the answer is a Bus load of Pakistanis driving over a cliff?

Jolly good fun, what? And, as it happens, racist.

At the same time, I agree this court case is PC gone way too far.

But this isn't anything to do with PC - it's just plain ignorant, rude and unacceptable. Hopefully it will be a lesson to Gazza and to anyone else who thinks such statements are funny.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here