Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brownlee brothers, World Triathlon Series

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Jonny Brownlee was leading the Triathlon World Series in Mexico last night. Winning the race would have made given him the world title. And then this happened...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DheRqd6bJYw

Full of sympathy, Alistair said: "I wish the flippin' idiot had paced it right and crossed the finish line first. He could have jogged that last two kilometres and won the race. You have to race the conditions. I was comfortable in third. I raced the conditions, I took the water on, made myself cool and I was all right."

[tweet]777710637229215744[/tweet]

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Wow-what drama.....hope he is alright..amazing stuff

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I love the way Ali gets him over the line and then just dumps him. He said later, he knew he was ok, but wanted him to finish.

Johnny lost the world title by 4 points on that race, as the bloke in 4th overtook his points total.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
I love the way Ali gets him over the line and then just dumps him. He said later, he knew he was ok, but wanted him to finish.

Johnny lost the world title by 4 points on that race, as the bloke in 4th overtook his points total.

Academic in the end but it's notable that he was thinking clearly enough to chuck his brother over the line first - so as to not finish ahead of him and rob him of points!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Academic in the end but it's notable that he was thinking clearly enough to chuck his brother over the line first - so as to not finish ahead of him and rob him of points!

My thought exactly - he was trying to give him a chance of still winning the title.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

The guy in 5th was leading anyway and if Johnny had won that race he would have overtaken him to win it overall. Surprised Alistair wasn't the one higher up TBH as at the Olympics he seemed much stronger than everyone.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Surprised Alistair wasn't the one higher up TBH as at the Olympics he seemed much stronger than everyone.

Flicking through the results (http://wts.triathlon.org/results) quickly, it looks like neither of them entered every race, but Jonny was in more than Alistair. From a quick glance, Alistair beat Jonny twice and Jonny beat Alistair once.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Brilliant sporting moment. I'm not really an Olympics fan but the Paraolympics seem to me to be a better spectacle than the other one. I particularly enjoyed the tennis. Quite amazing at what can be achieved on a tennis court whilst in a wheelchair.

Regarding yesterday's race it kind of reminded me of Alan Ball but the opposite ! The brother working out he needed to place his brother over the line first in contrast to the famous Alan Ball moment where he instructed his Manchester City players to play at the corner flag for a draw when they needed a win to avoid relegation !

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here