Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yet another laptop thread - this time down the budget end of the market.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's quite apparent Jnr will be needing a laptop for his birthday now he's started big school!

Looking around NSC other laptop threads have a budget around £1000 - ideally I'd like to take a '0' off that number.

As and when I wade into the refurb market what basic requirements should I be looking out for?
Or just as importantly what should I be steering clear of in a 'my first laptop', hopefully used for school work. (allow me to dream)

If you could be so kind as to remember that my technophobic makes me stupid enough to be asking this question, when answering!

Ta muchly.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Could try a Chromebook. Generally smaller, not encumbered by windows horrible OS and almost instant boot up. Drawbacks are smaller amount of on device storage and windows games won't run. Some are now compatible with Google play store as well. Should be able to do all the word processing/internet type tasks.

D

Deleted member 22389

Could try a Chromebook. Generally smaller, not encumbered by windows horrible OS and almost instant boot up. Drawbacks are smaller amount of on device storage and windows games won't run. Some are now compatible with Google play store as well. Should be able to do all the word processing/internet type tasks.

Never used a Chromebook, but since I use Linux on my own Laptop you can't really go wrong. As you say the only thing that ruins the performance of the machine in the first place is the OS. I put Linux on my father in laws machine, and then put Windows 7 on, so he had the choice. The Linux side is still running as good as when I first installed it, but on the Win 7 I'm already getting complaints of his machine feeling slow due to the all the extra rubbish I have had to install to protect it.

I'm using Linux on my own Laptop that is 10 years old without any issues.

Anyway I go with your suggestion, if you want an easy life go with the Chromebook.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Agree with the Chromebook recommendation, and they are keenly priced: http://amzn.to/2cBDf60

I'd be amazed if that couldn't do all school is likely to demand, although you may want to find out how homework and assignments should be submitted, although it's hard to imagine that the online version of the MS Office suite wouldn't be acceptable even if Google Docs is (although it shouldn't be).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agree with the Chromebook recommendation, and they are keenly priced: http://amzn.to/2cBDf60

I'd be amazed if that couldn't do all school is likely to demand, although you may want to find out how homework and assignments should be submitted, although it's hard to imagine that the online version of the MS Office suite wouldn't be acceptable even if Google Docs is (although it shouldn't be).

Yesterdays homework was through Chrome Docs.

The poor little sods now have all their homework written up and sent to their 'Show My Homework' account, for me to check.

Long gone are the days of pupil Stat occasionally writing a half arsed line about what's expected from a full terms project, in my 'homework notebook' (paper, lines, margin - anyone remember those :lol: )

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
Looking around NSC other laptop threads have a budget around £1000 - ideally I'd like to take a '0' off that number.

You can get a pretty decent laptop for a 1/4 of that ....but it depends what you're (son's) going to be using it for?

I'd probably go along with what everyone else has said and recommend a chrome book ...small, portable and generally good performance for basic functionality such as office applications, browsing the internet and playing media.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
daughter 18 and wifey have gone for this- http://shop.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/ideapad/100-series/100s-11-inch/

so lightweight,almost similar in size to an apple i pad..i myself have a Toshiba (ex daughters)

obviously it's windows 10 but we are microsoft types when it comes to pc's the above computers we got for £129 and they are ideal for most applications but have no dvd/cd..

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've got the very same search on as SB now that another one of ours has reached secondary school.
I I was initially looking at the Chromebook route. That was until I found out what a pfaff printing from them is unless you have a cloud compatible printer (which we don't). Also, it appears cloud storage is only free for the first 2 years and a100gb.

So we'll be looking at a budget windows laptop instead.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
HP Stream are quite good. About £170.

I read reviews on that. Seems the very low storage is a real issue at only 64gb. Lots of reviews saying it runs slow and the OS takes up most of the storage leaving no room for even a handful of docs and pics. Apparently Windows 10 won't install as it's too big for it (although possibly no bad thing sticking with 8).

For that reason I've ruled out the 11" type netbooks with only 32 or 64gb storage.

ack

Apr 20, 2006
WTF maybe 30 yrs outta date but what was wrong with homework diary, needing parents sig. If schools now need you to have lappy then ask them to provide it Why should todays cherubs have their own lappy? pc's were for research only, if you were lucky enough to have one, or it was liburary time.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
daughter 18 and wifey have gone for this- http://shop.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/ideapad/100-series/100s-11-inch/

so lightweight,almost similar in size to an apple i pad..i myself have a Toshiba (ex daughters)

obviously it's windows 10 but we are microsoft types when it comes to pc's the above computers we got for £129 and they are ideal for most applications but have no dvd/cd..
They look like really good value. Unlikely to need cd these days, but if you find you do, you can get a cheap usb external one for £25 or so. I find the only reason I need it now is to burn cd's for the car.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
WTF maybe 30 yrs outta date but what was wrong with homework diary, needing parents sig. If schools now need you to have lappy then ask them to provide it Why should todays cherubs have their own lappy? pc's were for research only, if you were lucky enough to have one, or it was liburary time.
You had a homework diary? A paper one? Bloody luxury. You spoilt brat. What's wrong with slates?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
They look like really good value. Unlikely to need cd these days, but if you find you do, you can get a cheap usb external one for £25 or so. I find the only reason I need it now is to burn cd's for the car.

Think they wireless print and that sort of thing..for me i am not a serious computer type,but if you like 11 inch screen then its a very lightweight (not too cheap feeling) handy device to slip in a small bag for being out and about..

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I read reviews on that. Seems the very low storage is a real issue at only 64gb. Lots of reviews saying it runs slow and the OS takes up most of the storage leaving no room for even a handful of docs and pics. Apparently Windows 10 won't install as it's too big for it (although possibly no bad thing sticking with 8).

For that reason I've ruled out the 11" type netbooks with only 32 or 64gb storage.

Agreed, the storage is low. I put a lot of stuff on my memory stick or external drive. I don't mind the slight faff but understand why it's a pain.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is that right, re Chromebooks & printers?

I can't just connect one to the other with a USB cable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here