Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kick off

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Now given the rule change allowing the ball to be played backwards I have not seen anything stating where the player can stand. The law states that each teams players are to remain in their own half until the ball is kicked. Now however I've seen in most games the player taking the kick off standing in the opposition half.

Pedantic I know

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Law 8

Kick off

PROCEDURE

the team that wins the toss of a coin decides which goal it will attack in the first half
their opponents take the kick-off
the team that wins the toss takes the kick-off to start the second half
for the second half, the teams change ends and attack the opposite goals
after a team scores a goal, the kick-off is taken by their opponents
For every kick-off:
all players must be in their own half of the field of play
the opponents of the team taking the kick-off must be at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the ball until it is in play
the ball must be stationary on the centre mark
the referee gives a signal
the ball is in play when it is kicked and clearly moves
a goal may be scored directly against the opponents from the kick-off
INFRINGEMENTS AND SANCTIONS

If the player taking the kick-off touches the ball again before it has touched another player an indirect free kick, or for deliberate handball a direct free kick, is awarded.

In the event of any other infringement of the kick-off procedure the kick-off is retaken.
Read more at http://www.thefa.com/football-rules...start-and-restart-of-play#YgoZtSoGCvljklLM.99

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Pointless rule change.:moo:

Yeah. lets encourage attacking football, go backwards at the kick-off! :mad:

Watching Match of the Day last night, Bournemouth kicked-off against Man City, and it ended up with the left-back getting pressured, and giving the ball away, De Brunier had the shot and almost put City in front after 12 seconds! :eek:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Noticed this evening Man City player was just in West Ham half but Carroll was yard inside the City half when they took the kick offs. That part of the rule hasnt changed but is ignored by refs at every game.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Watching Match of the Day last night, Bournemouth kicked-off against Man City, and it ended up with the left-back getting pressured, and giving the ball away, De Brunier had the shot and almost put City in front after 12 seconds! :eek:

The ball can go either way. In fact the quoted law states a goal can be scored directly from kick off - one of my under 10s has already managed it this season :) :moo:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

They aren't forced to pass it backwards though...

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
The ball can go either way. In fact the quoted law states a goal can be scored directly from kick off - one of my under 10s has already managed it this season :) :moo:

They aren't forced to pass it backwards though...

All the kick-offs I've seen this year, the ball has gone backwards to midfield, and nobody has played it forward. Negative tactics CH out! :moo:

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Now given the rule change allowing the ball to be played backwards I have not seen anything stating where the player can stand. The law states that each teams players are to remain in their own half until the ball is kicked. Now however I've seen in most games the player taking the kick off standing in the opposition half.

Pedantic I know

Indeed !

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Noticed this evening Man City player was just in West Ham half but Carroll was yard inside the City half when they took the kick offs. That part of the rule hasnt changed but is ignored by refs at every game.

On the other hand I was at Barrow v Rochdale today, and the ref made a definite point of waiting until the player he had told to get outside of the circle actually did so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here