Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How traditional is your diet?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Looking at BGs thread about meat and veg cafes got me thinking how few meals i eat that look like the sort of fare the English side of my family sat down to when i was a kid. I can remember my gran serving up meat and two veg at every dinner. Now whoever i visit, it's all pasta, or rice or burritos. I' not sure even my parents eat pork chops for their dinner anymore.
So is this the same for everyone, or are there still strongholds of ******s and peas, of pork escalopes, of lamb cutlets and the dreaded and dreary boiled potato ?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I like to mix things up mostly. Make a lot of curries but little pasta.

Today I'm making toad-in-the-hole with steamed cabbage and potatoes and an onion gravy.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Try to eat as healthy as possible.
With having an allotment, me and Mrs AR eat the things that are seasonal.
With her having a wheat intolerance, she has to be careful in what she eats.
This goes back to eating healthy, home cooked meals, which you know what ingredients go into them.
Red meat, fish, nuts, seeds, red and green veg, fruit and pulses which you can eat.
Things like fry ups, fish n chips, curries etc: all eaten in moderation.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Out of the 5 days Mon - Fri we have meat potatoes and 3 Veg usually a variety of forms of potatoes from Mashed, New Roast or Dauphinboise and occasionally chips on 4 of them . Always everyday have carrots a green veg like Cabbage or Kale and either peas runner beans or broad beans or a combination of obviously the green veg is according to the season. but always fresh.

Last edited:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Topside of beef,roast spuds,yorkies,garden peas and carrots followed by tiramisu for dinner.Last night,katlama,shami kebab,rice and chips followed by indigestion.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Todays its roast rib of beef roast potatoes, carrots, swede, runner beans, broccoli cauliflower, marrow with bechamel sauce and peas. Dont do desserts very often,

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Try to eat Mediterranean most of the year, I know it is good for you but I just enjoy the flavours!

Grilled Swordfish and Pan-fried Tomatoes this evening with some steamed greens and crushed salad spuds. Plus a Sicilian Pinot Grigio to help it on its way.

Meat & two Veg does get served up mid-winter when it feels more appropriate.

Not averse to a greasy spoon Full English now & again, always seems to taste better during a working week!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Still have old favourites like bacon pudding from time to time.

I would like mince mash and beans but my wife has to fancy things up so its spaghetti bolognese with far too much spaghetti being cooked tonight

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I love bacon pudding and steak and mushroom suet puddings. Most games we have cottage pie and baked beans for convenience as it easy to make and then put in the micro when we get home.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Mix of all sorts here. Just polished off roast lamb leg, roast spuds and gravy but with romanesco cauliflower and salsa verde. Lots of pastas, curries, Asian soups and stir fries in the week to use up leftovers. When marathon training I tend to eat much more fish and chicken and almost no starchy carbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Friday I had 7 pints of cider and a peanut butter sandwich.

Yesterday went out for dinner at BarCode so had chicken wings followed by a fillet steak, 4 pints of Peroni, a bottle of red and a 2 litre bottle of strongbow when I got home.

Today I've eaten a bacon and egg sandwich for breakfast and a spag bol for dinner.

Picture of health I am.

This week I'm intending to eat lots of veg and fruit. And only drink alcohol on Tuesday at the game.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Friday I had 7 pints of cider and a peanut butter sandwich.

Yesterday went out for dinner at BarCode so had chicken wings followed by a fillet steak, 4 pints of Peroni, a bottle of red and a 2 litre bottle of strongbow when I got home.

Today I've eaten a bacon and egg sandwich for breakfast and a spag bol for dinner.

Picture of health I am.

This week I'm intending to eat lots of veg and fruit. And only drink alcohol on Tuesday at the game.

I suppose you just 'sponge' it all up.

Sorry, I'll get my coat.

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
A month ago started new regime:

Day 1 Meat
Day 2 Veggie
Day 3 Fish

& repeat.

Weight is falling off me and don't see any drop off in quality of food, wish I'd done it years ago...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Eat meat and fish a lot less often than I used to, mainly because of price. Also, increasing numbers of friends and family have now gone veggie, so always respect that when I cook for them/eat at their's. No plans to give up meat and fish entirely though, though I am thinking of trying to source only meat that has been killed humanely, not hal-al.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Red meat and offal for me.
Liver & bacon is my all time favourite. Slow roasted stuffed lambs hearts are a delicacy to behold.
As a youngster I loved bread and dripping. Especially the blood at the bottom of the bowl.

🐕

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here