Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another one going - Hikers Rest to close

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Hikers Rest is being replaced by an Indian Restaurant. Landlord and Landlady off to The Cobden. Leaving party on Saturday.

Sad times.

Suspect this will be a Sainsburys within 2 years.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm amazed, It's absolutely rammed on match days and it's always been pretty busy when I've been in it.

If that pub can't make money, how are the other pubs along Lewes Road surviving?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
When I was a student at the Poly it was our local pub. The regulars hated us and it never felt that safe a place. Guess it has changed a lot since then- mid eighties.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
I'm amazed, It's absolutely rammed on match days and it's always been pretty busy when I've been in it.

If that pub can't make money, how are the other pubs along Lewes Road surviving?

The first few seasons it was packed on match days but not so much now and also very few games on Saturday now which don't help business.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
They can't change to a restaurant without notifying the council and giving them 56 days notice.

I don't think they have notified the council at all.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The first few seasons it was packed on match days but not so much now and also very few games on Saturday now which don't help business.

There are always masses of people drinking outside the pub on match games - never been inside but I can't believe that people are only outside.

It's a shame if it closes, it's a really friendly pub. Always seem to strike up a conversation with someone there

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

They aren't surviving are they? I'm not a Brighton resident, but I understand that several pubs have closed along the Lewes Road, just in recent years alone.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
The smoking ban doesn't help. Especially round that way. I grew up in Moulscoomb and was scared to go in there late 60's early 70's

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton

If doesn't help it's an utter shit hole.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
They aren't surviving are they? I'm not a Brighton resident, but I understand that several pubs have closed along the Lewes Road, just in recent years alone.

They have but in the 12 years that I've been living in Coldean just two along Lewes Rd have closed - The Counting House/White Crow and The Lectern/Tir Na Nog. The only others along that stretch of Lewes Road that have closed are the Ship and the Alexandra (and they were many years ago). The Gladstone and Bear still survive.

I'm not sure where the Hikers got this reputation from. I grew up in Moulsecoomb so it was the start of the Lewes Road pub crawl, never struck me as a particularly fearsome place

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
matchday parking being impossible now , coupled with their decision to only cook burger and chips didn't help either were as before they had better grub on offer

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here