Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nice People, Burton

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Even the man collecting my ticket at the turn style asked if I had, had a good journey up to Burton. Quite amazing....have never had that sort of warm welcome before.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Hope someone from Burton Albion reads this thread and passes on the feedback - it's always nice to be treated well at football and they deserve credit for this. Didn't go myself, but may well go next season assuming we're both still Championship...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The Burton fan I spoke to after the game wasn't a Clough fan, called him a loud mouth and ignorant which I found strange given what we see and hear about him but I guess we don't hear from him every day.

His dad was certainly loud so maybe its in the blood

I have nothing against the man personally, and am glad that he seems to be making a go of things at Burton, but to be brutally honest, I too thought him a loud mouth and ignorant in the past, but then again, maybe that's what managing a team like Direby turns you into!

theboybilly

I travelled up on Friday and stayed in the Three Queens Hotel which is handily directly across the road from the Burton Bridge Brewery so that was my Friday night sorted. A lovely boozer. I spent the pre-match in another BBB pub, the Great Northern watching Cardiff v Leeds. Home and away fans mixed happily enough and it was only a 5 minute walk to the ground. Burton is a great town for drinkers and I hope to try a few more of their pubs in the future. As for Burton Albion it was indeed a little strange but in a nice way. Everything was so easy - no pushing and shoving at the kiosks and a uninterrupted view from all around the ground. All in all a much better experience than most grounds like Hillsborough, Ipswich or St Andrews (and light years ahead of Loftus Road) It's just a shame they can't accommodate larger visiting crowds (such as the Toon Army and Villa this season) I too wish them well and hope they can do us some favours in the next few months.

timseagull

Oct 12, 2003
Mile Oak
Yup, went to the beech pub before the game, friendly in there, loved the bit when a group of tall gents came in and she suggested they'd been sleeping in grow bags, The stewards I thought were lovely ushering the kids to the front and saying "plenty of room down there" in a wonderful accent before commenting how much he was looking forward to a pint. Loved it. Chip butty? Brilliant.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
very patronizing thread.....

No, it really isn't patronizing.

It,s about acknowledging that the 'Home' tradesmen (landlords etc) and people working for the 'Home' club treat away supporters as human beings rather than football thugs.

I am well aware that Brighton try desperately hard to achieve a similar aim with away supporters and I applaud Burton club officials and the people of their town for succeeding where so many other clubs fail abysmally.

NorahBrewer

Sep 15, 2016
Hi,

Norah, the Admin from Clough The Magic Dragon, the Brewers fans' forum here. Just to say thanks for all the positive comments. We would love you to come to the Pirelli in the League next season too :). I don't find it this thread patronising at all- we are more than aware that visiting the pirelli is different from the average Championship ground - even many in League 1 too come to think of it and we do have some cracking real ale pubs which in my view is always part of the match day experience.
We wished that we could have given you a better game, but to say the cupboard was bare was an understatement and from our point of view to lose to a spot kick in the 88th was particularly gutting but the general opinion is that it could have been a cricket score.

Below is the link to our forum enjoy- have a look:-

http://burtonbrewers.proboards.com

Good luck for the rest of the season apart from 11th February of course (!)

Last edited:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
The bar in the away end was fantastic and having visited six different pubs in the town I can say the place in general was excellent for beer. Burton is definitely in the top 5 away days in this division

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
very patronizing thread.....

???
Why?

Everyone commenting on a decent away day.
I went yesterday and can say it was a nice place to visit, I can't comment on any pubs but the staff at the stadium were very friendly, it was nice to be treated as a human being.
If Brighton play them again I would definitely like to stay in the town, my only complaint is I should have gone on Friday and visited some pubs.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Hi,

Norah, the Admin from Clough The Magic Dragon, the Brewers fans' forum here. Just to say thanks for all the positive comments. We would love you to come to the Pirelli in the League next season too :). I don't find it this thread patronising at all- we are more than aware that visiting the pirelli is different from the average Championship ground - even many in League 1 too come to think of it and we do have some cracking real ale pubs which in my view is always part of the match day experience.
We wished that we could have given you a better game, but to say the cupboard was bare was an understatement and from our point of view to lose to a spot kick in the 88th was particularly gutting but the general opinion is that it could have been a cricket score.

Below is the link to our forum enjoy- have a look:-

http://burtonbrewers.proboards.com

Good luck for the rest of the season apart from 11th February of course (!)

I hope you come down to Brighton for the away game and enjoy our experience for away fans, sounds like a tricky choice for the guest ale in the away bar.
We even applaud you when the away attendance is read out, which is a mute point on here.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I hope you come down to Brighton for the away game and enjoy our experience for away fans, sounds like a tricky choice for the guest ale in the away bar.
We even applaud you when the away attendance is read out, which is a mute point on here.

Far from it - they're quite vocal.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
No they stayed till the end and it was kind of cute.

They have done an amazing job to get to where they are but they will have to perform miracles to stay there. Sadly its all about finance these days and with crowds of less thatn 5000 they will struggle to be able to earn enough money to get the players they will need in the longer term.

I spoke to one of their fans on the way back to the station and he was very realistic about the situation and was just enjoying the moment.

Good luck to them

Similar experience. We were talking to a couple of their fans after the match, walking back to station, until we managed to hop on a rare bus.
They were saying they were excited when they first gained league status a few years ago. So, League 1 and now the Championship is stuff dreams are made of. They said that the Chairman does his best and pumps money in when he can but with their gates as they are will be a miracle to stay in second tier.

WSU

Jan 17, 2012
It was my youngest son's first Brighton game so decided to make it a family weekend away with my wife, my eldest boy and the in-laws.
I agree with all the comments about the Burton locals, everyone was so friendly and helpful especially the parking attendant who let us leave again once we had reserved a couple of spaces.

Just a shame it was one of our fans who put a bit of a dampener on an otherwise great weekend. We had to leave a few minutes early as the 4 month old had decided he had seen enough (luckily I saw the penalty from the concourse), but this didn't stop some knob head bravely having a pop at my 65 year old mother in law about leaving early. I had gone on ahead so didn't hear any of this, and wasn't told about it until back at the hotel, but just don't understand why people feel they have the right to criticise other fans especially when we were (and always will be) putting my kids needs ahead of my football club.
If you were the person making the comments, please send me a message and I'll give you my seat number at the Amex so you can come and find me to apologise.

NorahBrewer

Sep 15, 2016
3 giant defenders?

Did you not see the size of our two forwards Jamie Ward 5'5" and Will Miller 1.68m (whatever that is but it is not tall)... when the teams came on we felt that our forward line had been reduced to a Hobbit tribute (!?). The general consensus was that we would be treated to a large number of long balls for them to head down... cynics that we are! So size is relative... and we were very aware that O'Grady would be out against us- perhaps more frustrating became could have played under other circumstances and he has settled in very well here.

Edit: 1.68m =5'5118'' (apparently)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here