Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Duffy/Goldson - confused???

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
After a shaky start Duffy gets some good ratings from NSCer's today, and he was better vs Hudds than Brentford.

But Goldson was our player of the year last year, yet he stays on the bench...

Bench means fit to play...

So why is Duffy preferred over him?

Is Goldson suffering from a Bong-esque failure to return to form?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Duffy no mug, 2 clean sheets, no mistakes can't drop him. Also more experienced than Goldson so can see the appeal as Hughton last season seemed to rate BFG & Dunk together. BFG being the more experienced player

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
I imagine Goldson will get 90 minutes midweek partnering either Ben White or Uwe in the cup

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
After a shaky start Duffy gets some good ratings from NSCer's today, and he was better vs Hudds than Brentford.

I'm sure Goldson will get his chance but Duffy and Dunk are probably our number 1 and 2 CBs in the squad. As simple as that, I reckon.

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
Duffy no mug, 2 clean sheets, no mistakes can't drop him. Also more experienced than Goldson so can see the appeal as Hughton last season seemed to rate BFG & Dunk together. BFG being the more experienced player

Good shout but against Brentford, from where I was sitting he looked fearfully slow and vulnerable on the turn (e.g. to Hogan)...?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Still regard the signing of Duffy a bit of an odd one. We must have known for a month or two (at least) before the end of last season that we would have to replace Greer, but we seemed to be in no hurry.
We have three young CBs (Hall, White and Dallison) all of whom will have had not unrealistic hopes and aspirations of stepping up to possibly become our number 4 CB by the end of the season. At the start of the season, 2 out of 3 of our senior CBs were still on the treatment table, and we drafted in Bruno to play CB (which to be honest worked pretty well). Then Liam got injured, so we needed Bruno to play RB, and it seemed it was only then that we went out and paid top whack for an (almost) deadline day signing - a CB who had spent most of his career playing for teams where defence was likely to be of the last ditch, get rid of it anyhow type. Had it been planned, or was it a bit of a panic buy - did we plan at one time to go with three CBs with one of the youngsters to break through?
Difficult for Duffy - obviously Goldson has quickly become a fans favourite and a lot of people seem to want him to come back in, and it's not Duffy's fault that we paid (allegedly) about £4M for him. Perhaps it's long term planning for Dunk leaving for big money before next season?
Anyway, here's to loads of clean sheets, whoever's playing at the back for us!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I feel really sorry for Goldson at the moment. I genuinely think he is better or as good as Dufffy. The only thing Duffy has over Goldson is age and experience.

My worry though is lack of match fitness may cost Goldson when he does get his chance. Or equally it is more likely to be alongside Duffy once Dunk reaches five bookings than all onside Dunkas it should be.

Would still rather we had spunked the £4million on a striker. If indeed this is the figure.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Goldson has been very unlucky with the timing of his injury, but will be needed at some point. I think Duffy's signing is connected with our perceived weakness at set pieces at certain points last season. Aspinall seemed to think that Duffy and Dunk were fairly imperious in the air today. They possibly had it fairly easy against a smallish forward line, but its good to get used to being dominant. John Keeley hints that Duffy also has a bit of the Gordon Greer's about him in his passing which would be nice to see.

Goldson's great pace would have been better suited to the way Brentford played, but I guess that game just came a little too early in his recovery for Hughton to try him from the start. Its very nice to have the option.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)

It's not hard for anyone with a a little knowledge of foootball, Duffy is in possession of the shirt and it his to lose. Goldson has been out so needs to be patient and wait for an opportunity!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Duffy allows Dunk to play a slightly different role and improves Dunk's performance. Duffy can now go for the high balls and allow Dunk to deal with the covering aspect.

Comparing them to Foster and Lawrenson. Duffy now takes the Foster role and Dunk the Lawrenson one. Instead of Dunk taking the Foster role and Goldson the Lawrenson role. Sort of.

Scott Hogan and Oliver Burke could cause any defenders a problem. I tend to think Goldson would be best at dealing with Hogan. I'm not sure that any of them will be able to deal with Burke in a few years time.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

No it doesn't. Bench means best backup option, or fit for 30 minutes.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Still regard the signing of Duffy a bit of an odd one. We must have known for a month or two (at least) before the end of last season that we would have to replace Greer, but we seemed to be in no hurry.
We have three young CBs (Hall, White and Dallison) all of whom will have had not unrealistic hopes and aspirations of stepping up to possibly become our number 4 CB by the end of the season. At the start of the season, 2 out of 3 of our senior CBs were still on the treatment table, and we drafted in Bruno to play CB (which to be honest worked pretty well). Then Liam got injured, so we needed Bruno to play RB, and it seemed it was only then that we went out and paid top whack for an (almost) deadline day signing - a CB who had spent most of his career playing for teams where defence was likely to be of the last ditch, get rid of it anyhow type. Had it been planned, or was it a bit of a panic buy - did we plan at one time to go with three CBs with one of the youngsters to break through?
Difficult for Duffy - obviously Goldson has quickly become a fans favourite and a lot of people seem to want him to come back in, and it's not Duffy's fault that we paid (allegedly) about £4M for him. Perhaps it's long term planning for Dunk leaving for big money before next season?
Anyway, here's to loads of clean sheets, whoever's playing at the back for us!

I don't agree with much of that. For instance, Albion had made at least two bids for Duffy by the end of July - Brighton and Hove Albion want Blackburn Rovers centre-half Shane Duffy

Also, you say that Duffy is "a CB who had spent most of his career playing for teams where defence was likely to be of the last ditch, get rid of it anyhow type." I'm not quite sure where you get that from. John Keeley (who is probably in a position to know, having been goalkeeping coach at Blackburn for the first 15 months of Duffy's Rovers career) in the Argus on Friday had this to say:-

I think Brighton have got a brilliant deal for that, I rate him that highly. He's an international as well and will probably start playing regularly for the Republic of Ireland now. I think they've got a great defender and they've got him for a long time. He's only young. He will keep learning under Chris (Hughton) and his coaching staff. He's got great people around him now and it wouldn't surprise me even if he jumps up another league eventually, because he's that good.
Shane Duffy will be a top, top player. He is very aggressive in the air. He's good at defending, gets his head on things when balls come into the box. His array of passing is fantastic. He's great with the ball and he's a good team man as well, he's a winner. That's the main thing I liked about him. he wants to win, every day, even in five-a-sides in training. He is an all-round top guy, a very good footballer. When he first came to Blackburn the first thing we noticed was how good he is on the ball, very comfortable. His array of passing is second to none. He plays it short, he's comfortable playing it long, and the other thing is he has got a helluva shot on him from 30 yards. If he comes forward with the ball and steps in between the lines he has got a tremendous shot on him.

Former Brighton and Hove Albion goalkeeper John Keeley on the "brilliant" Shane Duffy deal

And of our 3 young centre-backs:

* Dallison had played ONE league game (at League Two Crawley) prior to this season
* Hall is "..a long way from playing in the Championship" in the words of Mark McGhee, his old manager at Motherwell - Ben Hall is a prospect - but not ready for Championship yet says ex-boss
* White's total experience amounted to 17 games at U-21 level coming into the season

Would you really like the club to be in a position where, needing a result in the final match of the season at Aston Villa to guarantee automatic or make the play-offs, one of these completely inexperienced lads is called into the side due to suspension/injury?

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I feel really sorry for Goldson at the moment. I genuinely think he is better or as good as Dufffy. The only thing Duffy has over Goldson is age and experience.

My worry though is lack of match fitness may cost Goldson when he does get his chance. Or equally it is more likely to be alongside Duffy once Dunk reaches five bookings than all onside Dunkas it should be.

Would still rather we had spunked the £4million on a striker. If indeed this is the figure.

Lol, you said buy a striker. As if.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
We've kept two clean sheets, one against the league leaders who were in superb form and one against a side notorious for scoring from set pieces, a clear weakness of ours last season. Duffy won nearly every aerial battle yesterday and they were restricted pretty much solely to long range efforts. Not really sure why anyone is complaining, I like Goldson as well and he will get his chance over a 46 game season but it would be madness to change it now.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I think we now have 3 great CBs and that's needed. Uwe is going to be in no-mans-land and may not get much of a chance to step up from 4th choice. For what it's worth he seemed a good lad and decent player, but not fast enough to play at the top of the Champ regularly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here