Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagull Travel From Havant

el punal

I understand that a Seagull Travel bus leaves Market Parade for matches to the Amex. I have tried to get a bit of info. of the official site but it lacks important details. So, a number of questions that may be someone can answer?

1. Do you require a travel season ticket to board or can you pay per match?

2. What are the departure times (particularly for evening games), and return times?

3. Are there any problems (i.e. traffic congestion) that affect the journey or is it problem free?

4. Is it worthwhile, in comparison to the pain of driving a car long distance (from Southampton) or trying to get a non-existent SASTA train?

And any comments or opinions would be gratefully appreciated. Cheers!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I understand that a Seagull Travel bus leaves Market Parade for matches to the Amex. I have tried to get a bit of info. of the official site but it lacks important details. So, a number of questions that may be someone can answer?

2. What are the departure times (particularly for evening games), and return times?

3. Are there any problems (i.e. traffic congestion) that affect the journey or is it problem free?

4. Is it worthwhile, in comparison to the pain of driving a car long distance (from Southampton) or trying to get a non-existent SASTA train?

1. Depends if its full or not
2. 12.15, 16.55 leave Amex at 22.00 for midweek, don't know about 3pm ko
3. Don't know
4. Absolute bargain at £13.75 return, its £12.25 from Polegate for a 20 minute ride which is a ridiculous cost in comparison

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
4. Absolute bargain at £13.75 return, its £12.25 from Polegate for a 20 minute ride which is a ridiculous cost in comparison

As a related aside, I noticed that the Findon Valley coach comes from Guildford. The Guildfordians pay only £1 or so more than the Findon Valley-ites. The Findon people have a journey of about 16 miles each way, whilst the Guildford people have a good 50 miles each way.

I guess there is a pretty significant fixed cost in hiring the coach for a fair few hours, complete with driver, but it can make the closer places look quite expensive as you say.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
As a related aside, I noticed that the Findon Valley coach comes from Guildford. The Guildfordians pay only £1 or so more than the Findon Valley-ites. The Findon people have a journey of about 16 miles each way, whilst the Guildford people have a good 50 miles each way.

I guess there is a pretty significant fixed cost in hiring the coach for a fair few hours, complete with driver, but it can make the closer places look quite expensive as you say.

Oooh, as a very close to" Guildfordian" I feel I may ( selfishly) take a look at that. Beats driving from mine to Shoreham and then running the sh*t train gauntlet from there for sure.[/B]

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

While looking up info for another thread I noticed that its £1.40 cheaper to get a coach from Eastbourne than Polegate :shrug: it is a different coach to the Polegate one but surely that's not fair. Also its £11.25 on the SAME coach from Willingdon, which is the stop BEFORE, Polegate which is £12.25.

I have emailed them this morning to ask why.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Seagulls Travel is my favourite new discovery of this season. Never tried before all the SASTA shenanigans - now I'm going to use it for every evening game.

As [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] says, it can look more expensive for shorter journeys (£5.75 when you factor in the booking fee) but the complete lack of hassle, the seat and the fact that I know I'll be back home by 10:20 is well worth it for me.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
While looking up info for another thread I noticed that its £1.40 cheaper to get a coach from Eastbourne than Polegate :shrug: it is a different coach to the Polegate one but surely that's not fair. Also its £11.25 on the SAME coach from Willingdon, which is the stop BEFORE, Polegate which is £12.25.

I have emailed them this morning to ask why.

Interesting comparison, I am a North West Sussex Seagulls coach customer from my home to the Amex and return. Seagulls Travel also run a coach on this route, and I know for a fact that the fare to use the NWSS Coach is significantly lower than what Seagulls Travel charge to use their service.

I don't know the exact difference, but certainly our coach almost always runs fully booked, when the same can't be sad for the rival service.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Guildford is a new route and priced accordingly to attract business and help expansion, so I understand from a reply to my email after a review of this thread by ST

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Guildford is a new route and priced accordingly to attract business and help expansion, so I understand from a reply to my email after a review of this thread by ST

Fair enough. I certainly wasn't complaining - ST run a great service.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yep, Guildford City must be up in arms about it!

When I had my pub in Guildford I was heavily involved in trying to get Guildford City back up and running after being robbed by the couple running Godalming Town who realised they were due to get their comeuppance so amalgamated a team and called it Guildford and Godalming. That has been now superseded by what was Burpham and now play at The Spectrum I think, under the name of AFC Guildford. Guildford City sadly no longer exists due the the lady who read the combined counties results out on Radio Sussex in the 90s.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
When I had my pub in Guildford I was heavily involved in trying to get Guildford City back up and running after being robbed by the couple running Godalming Town who realised they were due to get their comeuppance so amalgamated a team and called it Guildford and Godalming. That has been now superseded by what was Burpham and now play at The Spectrum I think, under the name of AFC Guildford. Guildford City sadly no longer exists due the the lady who read the combined counties results out on Radio Sussex in the 90s.

I've been told that the old Guildford City were a real non league powerhouse of the old Southern League I believe, back in the 1950's and 60's, and realised that the wheels had seriously come off in more recent times, but I wasn't aware of the reason for it, or that Guildford City as such, no longer exist. Very sad indeed.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants

J

Been doing it for 5 seasons now. Myself and fellow traveller/ supporters would not have it any other way.
Without S T we would not be able to get to evening games unless using own transport.
Question 4 is a no brainer, just sit there and let the coach take the strain. Both ways.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I've been told that the old Guildford City were a real non league powerhouse of the old Southern League I believe, back in the 1950's and 60's, and realised that the wheels had seriously come off in more recent times, but I wasn't aware of the reason for it, or that Guildford City as such, no longer exist. Very sad indeed.

The ground was sold to build a housing estate of blocks of flats without first having got a new ground sorted, seems to ring a bell, they had problems getting a ground and this went on for a few years and eventually the lady and her partner who were both involved with Godalming Town got themselves voted on to the committee who were looking after the money that had been raised. There was about £37000 left and obviously not enough to build the new ground they persuaded the committee to give the money to Godalming Town and rename the club Guildford and Godalming. They got the money and then a few seasons later having spent the money dropped the Guildford bit from the name, A local club owner Michele Harper tried to revive the club but was successful after Tesco built a ground at The Spectrum in exchange for being given permission to build a store up near the Royal Surrey Hospital. Wimbledon considered moving there under Sam Hamman but the council refused saying they didnt want a Football League club in Guildford so Burpham FC took over the ground and changed their name to AFC Guildford, which as far as I know is what is still happening now.

Last edited:

Jul 7, 2003

Given the issues many have getting back to London after midweek games, maybe ST should run a service from Gatwick Airport or Three Bridges Station to give people a better chance of getting back to home.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here