Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boycott The Sun backed by Liverpool council

Is Liverpool council right to ask for a Boycott of The Sun?

• Yes

Votes: 43 51.2%
  • No

Votes: 41 48.8%

• Total voters

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Liverpool council votes to ask retailers not to sell The Sun.

Censorship or The Sun rightfully getting told its content isn't welcome?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
To quote Ian Hislop - you don't ban it, you just don't buy it.

If they want to encourage shops not to stock it, people not to buy it - they can. They shouldn't punish anyone who does, but they're not, so there's no problem.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

While I dislike The Sun, this is getting into very dangerous territory. It really depends how its approached by the council, but the best option would be to not touch the issue at all. It's not like The Sun exactly sells a lot of copies in the city anyway.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
red top rag

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Asking retailers not to stock it, is not censorship. It would be if the paper was banned, but it isn't. There is no compulsion.

Ironic that many people complain about a lack of political leadership in a community but when it is demonstrated by a local council that is also wrong - it is not as though the Council can enforce a ban, they are purely trying to encourage others to follow a particular course of action. That is good politics if you support their stance and I do.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
No one in Liverpool buys it since Hillsborough anyway? Why are they bringing this up now?

While I dislike The Sun, this is getting into very dangerous territory. It really depends how its approached by the council, but the best option would be to not touch the issue at all. It's not like The Sun exactly sells a lot of copies in the city anyway.

Exactly these - There really aren't many people that read it up there so to me this is all a bit bizarre.

I know very little of what they are doing, however it seems to me to be a bit of a publicity winner with them, they only have to answer to their constituents and few of them are Sun readers. But they will remember how their council stood up to the enemy

edit: So, I have just read the BBC article on it and it does seem a bit over the top to be honest. The editor and paper both apologised and wasn't it proven in the inquest that they only printed what they were told by their Police informants? Don't get me wrong I think the paper is a pile of crap but don't see why a council, all these years later, would get involved for anything other than vote winning

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Ironic that many people complain about a lack of political leadership in a community but when it is demonstrated by a local council that is also wrong - it is not as though the Council can enforce a ban, they are purely trying to encourage others to follow a particular course of action. That is good politics if you support their stance and I do.

I think people would rather leadership was on substantive issues than a simple policy with no real effect given The Sun's huge slump in sales in Liverpool for years.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No one in Liverpool buys it since Hillsborough anyway? Why are they bringing this up now?

After an inquest verdict in April, which found that the 96 victims had been unlawfully killed, the Sun again apologised for its coverage of the disaster, but drew criticism for being one of the few national newspapers not to put the verdict on its front page.

Speaking ahead of the vote, Hillsborough survivor Ralph Hadley, from the Total Eclipse of the Sun campaign, said that around 220 shops had already agreed to stop selling the paper.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...op-selling-the-sun-newspaper?CMP=share_btn_tw

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
Screen%u00252BShot%u00252B2013-05-10%u00252Bat%u00252B3.13.55%u00252BPM.png

simspons did it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here