Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No regrets for Knockaert - but Albion might think twice before playing their virtuoso on c

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
In the words of Edith Piaf, Anthony Knockaert doesn’t regret nothing.
Well that’s the literal translation. The French love a double negative.
The former Guingamp wideman turned a questionable tactical decision by the Seagulls and a below-par night individually to conjure perhaps the best moment yet of Albion’s fledgling season on Tuesday.
Knockaert grabbed the late winner which re-ignited their campaign with a win over previously unbeaten leaders Huddersfield.
Albion celebrated their French star’s strike by blasting out Piaf’s classic Je Ne Regrette Rien over the loudspeakers after the teams left the pitch.
Knockaert, who started the game behind frontman Tomer Hemed, had returned to his right wing role by then with the more central Jamie Murphy providing the shooting chance.
5487647.jpg

Anthoony Knockaert is stopped by Huddersfield central midfielder Aaron Mooy
But he did not regret the two overhit free-kicks which brought groans from the home crowd.
Nor the lob which was neither cross nor shot and sailed into the North Stand.
And certainly not the seemingly endless running with no reward as he tried to make a success out of a new role.
Because, as Albion celebrated the win in musical style, the winger was happy to use another word associated with this homeland.
Knockaert felt his fortunate 80th minute winner was a liberation.
He sort of agreed it was not his best game. He knew it was far from his best shot.
And, in its own way, that made the goal even more special as Albion scored a first win in four outings.
David Wagner, Huddersfield’s astute boss, was quoted in the matchday programme commenting “We say in Germany only the hard worker has luck” and Knockaert felt he proved that.
He told The Argus: “I’m not going to shine in every game and I’m not going to be the best player every game.
“When it is not going your way or the way you want, you just need to keep focused.*I was quite tired at the end and I ran a lot – but that is normal when you give everything.”
Which actually made the goal a special one.
He said: “If you see my goal, it’s not the best but I think I deserved it because I worked a lot. When you work hard, it always pays off.
“For me it was the best goal because it was like liberation.”

Knockaert is not totally new to the central role. He has played it in France, where it is known as a nine-and-a-half.The former Leicester man ended the Brentford game there too but said that was not down to freedom of movement.
He added: “I just listen to what the gaffer thinks is best for the team.
“Everywhere I need to play, I give my best. The most important for me is not where I am playing, it is what I can bring to the team.”
Hughton is not the type for regrets either. But the Albion manager might think twice before deciding to use Knockaert in a congested central role after an experiment which did not really work.
Knockaert was stifled, snuffed out and less of a factor than he tends to be.
Hughton said: “I felt against Huddersfield, who play very expansive, it would be very difficult to play two out-and-out strikers.
5487651.jpg

Chris Hughton was involved in a tactical battle with David Wagner of Huddersfield
“The feeling was, even thought it didn’t work particularly well, we could hopefully drop a lot of ball into Anthony’s feet.
“Because they played so compact, I think we found it difficult to get the ball into Anthony’s feet.
“Then, when he got it, he was put under pressure.
“Perhaps it didn’t work but we felt, the longer the game went on, the game would have to open up a little bit and we would benefit from it.”
As it turned out, Knockaert was out wide by the time he added to his catalogue of match-winning contributions against Huddersfield, which dates back to his Leicester days.
And therein lies the irony. He gets into some great central areas anyway – even when playing on the wing.*In doing so, he will often score important, timely goals.
5423103.jpg

Knockaert gets into a centre-forward's position to hit the bar at Newcastle
Article continues after...[h=3]More Articles[/h]

Albion have gone ahead in four games this season, going on to win three times and being pegged back for a 2-2 draw at Reading.*
Knockaert has scored all four of those goals which have put them into the lead.*Tuesday’s was the first of the four which has come from wide of the six-yard box.
He was in the heart of the penalty area to net against Nottingham Forest and Reading and angled in a shot against Rotherham from a position almost, but not quite,six yards to the left of goal.
Albion have used Je Ne Regrette Rien on a video interview with Knockaert which they play over the big screens at the Amex.
The Huddersfield media men around us laughed when they heard Piaf over the loudspeakers, as did their Brentford counterparts on Saturday.
But the chanteuse, quite apart from being someone at home on centre stage, was also a little dynamo renowned for a work ethic.
True, she was also well known for various traits far removed from the lifestyle of a professional sportsman.
But there are one or two similarities there.
Albion fans will probably not mind hearing a bit more old-time Parisian cabaret if it means their favourite Frenchman is still flying.

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here