Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mobile Phones and Driving.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
The subject has been covered before but the tabloids seem to covering the use of mobiles whilst driving big time today and quite frankly the figures are shocking. Punishments simply appear a joke,so any idea,s on how to stop this dangerous practice ? Instant ban say 28 days ? Refused car insurance ? Made to sit complete driving test ? Three points and £60 is laughable,but its no joke to those that are effected by this action.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
If someone drives and uses a mobile phone they are an ******** of the highest order. They should put the bloody things in the boot if they are so weak willed and can't get by with out looking at it. Makes me so angry that they are willing to kill someone, because checking their facebook status is so important.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
The subject has been covered before but the tabloids seem to covering the use of mobiles whilst driving big time today and quite frankly the figures are shocking. Punishments simply appear a joke,so any idea,s on how to stop this dangerous practice ? Instant ban say 28 days ? Refused car insurance ? Made to sit complete driving test ? Three points and £60 is laughable,but its no joke to those that are effected by this action.

Self obsessed morons, are so fixated with their phones, that a ban on owning a PHONE would probably be a bigger deterrent to them than a driving ban!

I'd like to give every traffic cop a hammer, with license to smash up the phone, on the spot, of every knob spotted using it at the wheel.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I would say, whilst driving about, you see someone driving while on the phone every 2 minutes, it is so commonplace. The penalties should be much higher, an instant ban for 28 days might help.

It's not difficult, I keep my phone in my trousers pocket - I couldn't get it out if I wanted to while I'm behind the wheel.

Probably the worst one I saw was in Worthing, a woman in a big 4x4, she had at least 3 kids in the back, she was not only driving, she was eating with one hand and talking on the phone with the other, oh, and speeding !

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Yup.. Happens in Germany too.. So often, you see people driving erratically and well you pull up beside them, or overtake them, you notice they are on the phone.. I would definitely be in favour of a ban...

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Drag them out of their car, put them on a motorbike, untrained, and tell them to ride around Brighton & Hove for 8 hours.
Then see how they feel about people using phones whilst driving.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Rarely see any traffic police in Brighton & Hove any more, more likely to bump into Lord Lucan riding a unicorn. If no-one is enforcing it, is it any wonder no-one is taking any notice.

SAC

May 21, 2014
6 points given so that when you are caught a 2nd time you lose your licence. Anyone who loses their licence should have to apply for a new one and retake their test.

You see it happening all the time.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Compulsory In-car signal blocking device for every vehicle unless the ignition is off.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Can't remember if it was the Reading away game a few weeks ago or might have been Oxford but travelling up there by coach you can see what car drivers are doing quite easily.

There was a big accident on the anticlockwise side of the M25 so for about 5 miles or so, due to rubbernecking, we were going anywhere between 1mph and 30mph.

The amount of drivers who were driving on the fast lane looking at their phone was extraordinary, I would say 1 in 4. Some where typing, some clearly scrolling through twitter/facebook, some even had two hands on their phones while typing while the car was moving.

Even when travelling at top speed it is quite common to see drivers travelling at a good 70mph with phones in their hands.

All that's really needed would be a policeman in a coach with a camera to photograph those doing it, would pay their salary ten fold.

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
This is a pet hate of mine. I've shouted a few choice words at drivers I've seen on their phone whilst driving. But with most it just seems to get their back up and they just return the anger. They've no idea.....

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I'm always the driver and rarely the passenger, but when I am, the Victor Meldrew in me always wants to get my phone out and video offenders as we go past on dual carriageways etc. I haven't yet, but it's tempting, especially if they see you videoing them - they'll stop pretty sharpish for fear of being reported!

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
In this age of Go Pro's, windscreen cameras etc. I wonder if footage of someone using their phone whilst driving would be enough for the police to prosecute?

It would be an easy win for them and give the sensible driver/pedestrian a way to help.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Compulsory In-car signal blocking device for every vehicle unless the ignition is off.

Not much use if you crash your car into a tree and need to urgently call an ambulance though, I guess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here