Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

T20. The Frachise is here.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
All about money and nothing to do with cricket. Glad Sussex were one of the three that said no.

Running the City game alongside the T20 Blast seems ridiculous. As the city teams hoover up the talent the country game will inevitably decline as it will be seen as the lesser of the two competitions.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I loathe this development... although it has to be said they are not commercial franchises... all 8 teams would be owned by the ECB... and supposedly, money shared out to county and grass-roots cricket.

But it will bugger up the county cricket season, and probably 50 over cricket too, and dilute the T20 comestic stuff as well.

#sadday

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I don't see the logic of this new competition running at the same time as the counties play the T20 blast. The TV broadcaster is key to it as well. The Big Bash in Australia is on free-to-air TV, which is a significant factor in it's success.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
So far the proposals include sides based in London x2, Brimningham, Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham, Cardiff and Southampton/Dublin.

Teams will not be named by cities but will be given 21st century names to engage with youth relating to England (Adders, Badgers, Herons, Voles etc)

Competition to last 3 weeks at beginning of July

Counties with stadia not used for the tournament compensated up to £1.3m and those who use stadia paid by ECB up to £500k per game.

Limit of 3 overseas players per side controlled by ECB and remainder made up of English qualified players from the existing counties.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
They seriously expect Sussex members to become supporters of the Southampton Shitehawks? Or the domestic T20 to be as popular when all of the best overseas players are hoovered up by the London Losers or the Yorkshire Tightwads? Not content with pulling up the drawbridge when they got most Test venues in Div 1 of the CC, they go ahead with this in order to try and be the best country side in the biffit game.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Dreadful news. Why are the ECB so determined to ruin our cricket? They must still be devastated that Notts were the 1 team to be relegated after they tried to fix it so all 'large counties' and test venues were in division 1.

Well done to Sussex, Kent and Surrey for voting no.

Southwest Seagull

Jul 3, 2013
As a Somerset fan I'm disappointed that our board have voted in favour of this. I saw on Sky Sports News yesterday that our captain Chris Rogers was very in favour of this idea after seeing its impact in Australia, maybe that influenced our decision.

Either way, our fans are not happy. We've won the T20 before; we are a top Division 1 team and are not part of this new league due to us not being based in a city, despite the fact we have extensive support across the south west. I will not be supporting a team based in Cardiff, that is for sure.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
As a Somerset fan I'm disappointed that our board have voted in favour of this. I saw on Sky Sports News yesterday that our captain Chris Rogers was very in favour of this idea after seeing its impact in Australia, maybe that influenced our decision.

Either way, our fans are not happy. We've won the T20 before; we are a top Division 1 team and are not part of this new league due to us not being based in a city, despite the fact we have extensive support across the south west. I will not be supporting a team based in Cardiff, that is for sure.

According to that BBC piece your county hasn't voted to proceed:

"Somerset chairman Andy Nash also said much more work remained before the new competition was rubber-stamped.

Nash wrote on Twitter: "Woah! We have NOT voted to accept City T20." He later added: "Detailed proposals have yet to be developed by ECB. This is the next stage." "

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Teams will not be named by cities but will be given 21st century names to engage with youth relating to England (Adders, Badgers, Herons, Voles etc).

Adders, Badgers, Herons, Voles? Surely that's patrol names in the Boy Scouts? Should really engage with today's non cricket-playing yoof................

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Adders, Badgers, Herons, Voles? Surely that's patrol names in the Boy Scouts? Should really engage with today's non cricket-playing yoof................

They were just examples of what they might use but think they want to make sure the competition retains an English flavour so maybe Buzzards, Rams, Foxes, Hedgehogs, Pine Martins.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Personally, I think cricket has dragged it's heels over this for too long now. A proper T20 competition has long been required to subsidise the four day game. However, I can't help thinking that for the national interests to be properly served, this is arse about face. They should be increasing first class counties to form more T20 cricket clubs to build a proper T20 league, and then reducing the number of sides who play the 4 days game, so that it falls more in line with the Sheffield Shield states in Australia - but change the rules to allow 7 calendar days to ensure 4 full day's play.
I know I'm in a minority and think many on here would baulk at that idea, and certainly nearly all of the duffers running the county clubs would. Something needs to change though.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Personally, I think cricket has dragged it's heels over this for too long now. A proper T20 competition has long been required to subsidise the four day game. However, I can't help thinking that for the national interests to be properly served, this is arse about face. They should be increasing first class counties to form more T20 cricket clubs to build a proper T20 league, and then reducing the number of sides who play the 4 days game, so that it falls more in line with the Sheffield Shield states in Australia - but change the rules to allow 7 calendar days to ensure 4 full day's play.
I know I'm in a minority and think many on here would baulk at that idea, and certainly nearly all of the duffers running the county clubs would. Something needs to change though.

Commercially there might be some truth to what you have said.

However, the current exciting England One Day side is born out of the county T20 competition. A lot of these players we are seeing play for England were playing in the T20 competition regularly at relatively young age. This has allowed them to hone skills and shots. Bring in a city competition with 3 overseas players, less games, there is less chance for the next Butler, Roy, Northeast etc to break through.

So whilst it might mean more money for the counties, it could well impact on the development of the next raft of English players.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

Coming soon to a test arena near you:

The Vauxhall Crack-Whores
The Manchester Wasters
The St Johns Wood Pokemon Go-ers
The Birmingham Disenfranchised
The Nottingham Stoners

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Commercially there might be some truth to what you have said.

However, the current exciting England One Day side is born out of the county T20 competition. A lot of these players we are seeing play for England were playing in the T20 competition regularly at relatively young age. This has allowed them to hone skills and shots. Bring in a city competition with 3 overseas players, less games, there is less chance for the next Butler, Roy, Northeast etc to break through.

So whilst it might mean more money for the counties, it could well impact on the development of the next raft of English players.

So you agree with me then? Keep the county T20 format, yeah? I'd then reduce the 4 day game to a competition between regions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here