Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paralympics - favourite event?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I have great respect for the paralympians taking part in Rio this year.
But the one outstanding event for me is the courage of the blind runners doing their stuff, its fantastic to watch.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Am I the only one that, whilst naturally respecting and in awe of all competitors, wonder how they make events the same, based on disability?

Swimming, how do they do that?

ArfurW8

May 22, 2009
Fort Neef
Not got a favourite sport yet, the blind sprinters running with their guides,the one armed javelin throwers,the wheelchair javelin throwers,the one armed swimmers who can swim four lengths in the time it takes me to swim one length have all amazed me.
The more I watch the more I respect and admire all of the competitors in all the sports.
Brilliant viewing.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
The athletes are all so amazing, and with some inspiring stories too. Its hard to pick out one sport more than others really, but the high jump for people with one leg and the blind long jump I found astonishing

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I must admit I haven't been watching, but one news item this morning I found quite incredible.

A guy was playing table tennis by using a table tennis bat held by his mouth and was serving the ball with one of his feet.

I just found a You Tube clip of him (non Olympics)

[yt]aDdh2439hnU[/yt]

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Am I the only one that, whilst naturally respecting and in awe of all competitors, wonder how they make events the same, based on disability?
It is of course extremely difficult to do fairly. They'll make tweaks over the years and it will continue to improve.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not got a favourite sport yet, the blind sprinters running with their guides,the one armed javelin throwers,the wheelchair javelin throwers,the one armed swimmers who can swim four lengths in the time it takes me to swim one length have all amazed me.
The athlete that amazed me the most was the Chinese swimmer who was doing the butterfly - very quickly - despite the facts that he didn't have any arms! Bloody amazing.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Its all been so brilliant, so much respect for them all.
But, i was watching the basketball and i know its all part of the game but when they are shunted over (and it happens a lot) the sight of them being helped back onto their wheels absolutely helpless makes me feel very sorry for them.
I dont feel like this in any other event because i know the last thing they want is sympathy, but impossible not to feel that way in this instance.

Its all been so brilliant, so much respect for them all.
But, i was watching the basketball and i know its all part of the game but when they are shunted over (and it happens a lot) the sight of them being helped back onto their wheels absolutely helpless makes me feel very sorry for them.
I dont feel like this in any other event because i know the last thing they want is sympathy, but impossible not to feel that way in this instance.

My mate (Simon Munn) is in that team, most are professional sportsmen, usually abroad (he plays in Italy) they're as hard as nails

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
My mate (Simon Munn) is in that team, most are professional sportsmen, usually abroad (he plays in Italy) they're as hard as nails

Yes they do seem very tough,.The Australia v GB match was really good, i am a big fan of Basketball I watch the Plymouth Raiders regulary so to play at that tempo in wheelchairs is ridiculous.
But as tough as they are to see them on the floor helpless waiting to be put upright is a little upsetting, they would all tell me to get a grip and grow a pair though.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It would be an interesting experiment at the next Olympics (Tokyo 2020), to take one discipline (for example, swimming) and run the Olympic competition and the Paralympic competition in tandem. So a typical day at the aquatic centre would see heats / finals for both strands of competition. It would be start to integrating both events better.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Loving it all, currently watching the swimming with two guys with learning difficulties getting gold and silver for team GB...bloody brilliant stuff

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Swimming, how do they do that?

Have you watched any of it, as they regularly explain what disabilities are included in certain classes of competition.

Basketball for example has a points system based on disability (bit like fantasy football) where each team can only have a maximum of 15 (I think) on the court at any one time, or the cycling in certain events were the clock is made slower for some competitors to equalise their disability with somebody else who has the clock run at normal speed thereby the best competitor wins irrespective of type of disability.

SAC

May 21, 2014
The ones with no arms are amazing. Swimmers, table tennis and even archery.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here