Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] MANAGERS' VIEWS: HUGHTON AND WAGNER

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
The two managers reflect on last night's game.
CHRIS HUGHTON was pleased with Albion’s resilient performance against the Terriers, and felt they needed to be tactically disciplined in order to get all three points.
The Albion boss was well aware of the threat posed by the Sky Bet Championship league leaders, and was delighted with the persistence shown by his team.
He said, “It was a mixed game, one that gets the supporters a little bit frustrated, but as manager, you know sometimes you have to play that type of game.
“They give you a lot of possession, drop back and then counter very quickly. If you don’t keep your shape, they can really punish you.
“The game went on and we thought it may not have been our day, but we deserved the bit of luck that we got, and I thought we were the better team.”
Hughton took comfort from the players’ desire to return to winning ways, and believes the squad has the character to produce another impressive season.
“The feeling in the changing room after the game on Saturday was low, and you want that. What we can’t do is keep talking about last season, but this is a team that want to do well again.
“They know how tough this league is, so whether it’s Huddersfield, Barnsley or Burton, these are all big games, and you can’t do well if you don’t have enough character in the team.
“I still think our best performance was away at Derby. We’ve been a little bit hit and miss with our form, but hopefully today can push us forward, and we can go get a result at Burton.”

LATEST NEWS FROM*SEAGULLS.CO.UK*

DAVID WAGNER backed Danny Ward to bounce back from his goalkeeping mistake at the Amex, as the Terriers shot-stopper was unable to save Anthony Knockaert’s late strike.
The Terriers boss accepted Albion’s winning goal was preventable, but showed support for Ward, and highlighted the goalkeeper’s strong character.
He said, “I spoke to Danny and I told him there were no complaints from my side, mistakes are part of this game.
“Unfortunately, if a goalkeeper makes a mistake, it’s a goal. But he is strong enough and he knows that everyone backs him, and that he will be fresh on Saturday to help us get a better result than we had yesterday.”
Wagner felt the Seagulls edged a very close contest on the night, and heart from his team’s ability to perform well against one of last season’s top six sides.
”They had more clear goalscoring chances than we had. I don't know exactly, but the ball possession was even, maybe we were even a bit ahead.
"Both teams tried to do something and played with energy. But I think Brighton had the clearer chances. We are disappointed that we lost this game - a tight game.
"But, on the other side, I have a positive feeling as well because we can now say we are able to compete with the best teams in the division away from home.
"Brighton are one of the best teams in this division.* We accept the result, and now it is in the past.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here