Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A minimum of four minutes added time

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I thought Huddersfield were going to benefit from getting back all the time they'd been wasting at the end of the second half, and the referee was going to add 6 or 7 minutes on.

If it had still been 0-0, I'd have been fuming at only 4 minutes. I'd like to think he took the position of the game into account.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I agree. We said much the same. The ref was pretty kind to us and it's good to see that the team that wasted time since early in the match, paid for their lack of good sportsmanship.

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
Was thinking exactly the same at the time. The persistent Huddersfield time wasting plus subs and injury stoppages would have easily notched up an extra 6-7 mins and I too thought that at 1-0 to the non-time wasters the ref may have concluded that he wouldn't add on too much time to benefit the time wasters from their own poor sportsmanship

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I thought the ref was totally unfair to Stockdale, allowed their keeper to time waste for 79 minutes then when Stockdale had the free kick just after we had scored it looked like he gave him a long lecture about time wasting.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is it obligatory to be small and have a shaved head to become a Championship referee?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Question. Much of their keepers time wasting was after he had dropped the ball and initially touched it. As the ball is then in play, would I be right in saying he is actually doing nothing wrong under the laws of the game ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Question. Much of their keepers time wasting was after he had dropped the ball and initially touched it. As the ball is then in play, would I be right in saying he is actually doing nothing wrong under the laws of the game ?

Correct. If the ball is live then it's up to us to get him to speed up by pressuring him.

I was referring to how long he'd take with each goal kick, almost as if he didn't know what to do and needed to think about it to remind himself. And there was one time when the ball went out for a goal kick and one of their players started taking the ball upfield with him, as if he'd forgotten that his 'keeper needed the ball to take the goal kick.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Correct. If the ball is live then it's up to us to get him to speed up by pressuring him.

I was referring to how long he'd take with each goal kick, almost as if he didn't know what to do and needed to think about it to remind himself. And there was one time when the ball went out for a goal kick and one of their players started taking the ball upfield with him, as if he'd forgotten that his 'keeper needed the ball to take the goal kick.

Probably thinking about how he'd waste some more time and lost concentration for the goal.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
If Huddersfield hadn't spent significant chunks of the game the match time wasting, they might have had time to score themselves.

It was very satisfying, once Brighton were one and starting to get some extra rest in during periods the ball was out of play, to see Huddersfield crying to the ref that Brighton were time wasting!

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
If Huddersfield hadn't spent significant chunks of the game the match time wasting, they might have had time to score themselves.

It was very satisfying, once Brighton were one and starting to get some extra rest in during periods the ball was out of play, to see Huddersfield crying to the ref that Brighton were time wasting!

Absolutely. I jeered, along with so many others, when the keeper was in such a rush to take a goal kick, after we scored. I too was expecting at least 5 minutes extra, so it could be that the ref used some common sense as they were not going to benefit from their tactics.
Not by any means a complete performance last night, but better than Saturday, though, admittedly, that is not necessarily saying much. The congratulations offered to each other after the match and the general relief at the win, did, I feel, show that the team spirit is there and that hopefully Saturday was a blib, when they became rather too casual. OR, it might have been that the defeat at Newcastle knocked their confidence somewhat, and they felt that, compared to benitez's millions, they would never be able to compete, and reach the PL. Yes, Newcastle may well win the league with relative ease, but 2nd place is certainly up for grabs. Given that Huddersfield are top, could anyone say that they are really that good? There is much to play for with this team, given proper stewardship by CH and his staff.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I thought Hemed was extremely poor at closing their keeper down last night, and my overriding impression of Knockaert playing up-, or off-the-front was chasing the ball down.

Tekanne

Feb 4, 2015

Ankergren under Poyet used to just stand a few yards away from his goal with the ball at his feet. Must admit, it was quite funny watching the opposition's fans get on the ref's back for something that is completely legal

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I thought the ref was totally unfair to Stockdale, allowed their keeper to time waste for 79 minutes then when Stockdale had the free kick just after we had scored it looked like he gave him a long lecture about time wasting.

This annoyed me. As soon as they were chasing the game the referee would give us the hurry up. DOUBLE STANDARDS I TELL YOU

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I thought Huddersfield were going to benefit from getting back all the time they'd been wasting at the end of the second half, and the referee was going to add 6 or 7 minutes on.

If it had still been 0-0, I'd have been fuming at only 4 minutes. I'd like to think he took the position of the game into account.

It was at least 6 minutes anyway, I thought he'd lost his whistle.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It was at least 6 minutes anyway, I thought he'd lost his whistle.

It was six minutes because of the substitions that took place just after the 4 minutes was announced... and a veeeeerrrrrryyyyyyy sloooooow walk from Knocky!!

And to be fair to the ref, he was on their case for timewasting all through the 2nd half... several times he had a word with their keeper.... so it was only fair that he did the same to us.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
I thought Hemed was extremely poor at closing their keeper down last night, and my overriding impression of Knockaert playing up-, or off-the-front was chasing the ball down.

Maybe that was the instructions given to them both by Houghton? Having said that, I don't think that is the best use of Knockaert's energy and skill to be doing the chasing!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here