Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephens insists he never wanted to leave Albion despite transfer request [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
yH5BAEAAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAIBRAA7
Dale Stephens in action against Huddersfield at the Amex on Tuesday

/ Exclusive by Andy Naylor, Chief sports reporter

Dale Stephens insists he never wanted to leave Albion.
And he says the possibility of signing a new contract is “still open for discussion”.
The midfield star was back in the starting line-up for last night’s 1-0 win over leaders Huddersfield at the Amex after he was denied a move to the Premier League with Burnley and handed in a transfer request on the final day of the transfer window.
That was followed by a statement released by Stephens on Twitter shortly after the window shut, expressing his disappointment.
Stephens, speaking for the first time since the transfer saga, told The Argus: “The statement I made was never about wanting to leave Brighton. I’ve enjoyed it here, I’m still going to enjoy it this year.
“What’s been said has been said, I’ve tried to put that behind me now and think of the task ahead this season. I’m still looking forward to being up there at the end of the season and emulate the form we had last year.
“I’ve enjoyed it from day one at this club and I still want to be part of this team this year.”
Stephens, the subject of six rejected bids from Burnley, is out of contract next summer and there have been no developments so far in agreeing a new deal.
He said: “Not at the moment, it’s still open for discussion. Not a lot has been said but over time I’m sure we’ll talk about it. At the moment I’m concentrating on getting match fit and enjoying playing for the club.
“That was my second game this season. I missed a bit of pre-season through injury. I feel good and the only way I am going to get match fit is by playing. Hopefully I can continue playing in this team.”

[h=4]Promoted stories[/h]

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here