Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any word on Solly?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
If we're going to continue playing Knocky as a 'second striker' we are in desperate need of quality out wide with Skalak and Murphy pretty unconvincing. Will Solly be back for the Reading cup game? Anyone know?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
CH was very clear last week that he needs to build back up in the U23s. Saw him play for an hour and he has a way to go yet.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Last word on Solly was last Thursday from Hughton. Bit vague about his likely return.

"He was not involved in the Southend trip and also sat out two recent training sessions to ensure he did not overdo things.
“We decided Solly would miss a couple of days’ training.
“But he trained on Monday and is fine.
“We appreciate he has been out for a long time.
“He has got to get more under-23 games and more training before he is ready for the levels of first team matches."
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb..._for_rapid_return_to_Albion_s_matchday_squad/

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Too much expectation around Solly. He was in a purple patch of form when he got injured, but that was over 9 months ago before a potentially career threatening injury. It's very optimistic to think that he'll be even close to that level before January, if at all this season. Look at the effect shorter injuries have had on the form of KLL and Bong!

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Too much expectation around Solly. He was in a purple patch of form when he got injured, but that was over 9 months ago before a potentially career threatening injury. It's very optimistic to think that he'll be even close to that level before January, if at all this season. Look at the effect shorter injuries have had on the form of KLL and Bong!

It's surely dependent on the player. When Stephens came back from his long term ankle injury he was rusty for a few games but soon found his form. I've faith the club won't rush him back but if he's playing against Reading he'll be pretty close.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I take it the subtext to this is 'when will it be March's turn to be not as effective pushed through the middle?'.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
I don't think we can afford to 'waste' AK as a #10. Without him creating from wide we simply aren't inventive enough to give him the ball often enough to make it pay. AK also clearly gets frustrated at not seeing enough of the ball...
I'd rather have AK out wide and drifting in and try one of the others (Murphy, Skalak, Elvis or Solly when fit) in the Baldock role - or just simply reinstate Baldock.
Alternative when Goldson is match fit is to go 3-5-2 and give us more chance of creating from central areas - but suspect that's a non-starter to CH.
Worth a try last night, but I called the likely problem before the game and think I was proved to be correct.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Do we need a Better Baldock SB ? Asking for a friend.

Judging by the last 2 games, the formations played, and the quality of play, I believe that is now a redundant question.

Fingers crossed we can get through to January when, as it's winter, the transfer market won't be overheated.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Judging by the last 2 games, the formations played, and the quality of play, I believe that is now a redundant question.

Fingers crossed we can get through to January when, as it's winter, the transfer market won't be overheated.

It will be even more heated as there will be 6 or so teams looking to strengthen in the believe they can go up and there will be prem teams who are struggling, looking to panic buy to save their status .

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Last word on Solly was last Thursday from Hughton. Bit vague about his likely return.

"He was not involved in the Southend trip and also sat out two recent training sessions to ensure he did not overdo things.
“We decided Solly would miss a couple of days’ training.
“But he trained on Monday and is fine.
“We appreciate he has been out for a long time.
“He has got to get more under-23 games and more training before he is ready for the levels of first team matches."
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb..._for_rapid_return_to_Albion_s_matchday_squad/

Radio Sussex had an interview with CH re March pre match last night...same comments?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I don't think we can afford to 'waste' AK as a #10. Without him creating from wide we simply aren't inventive enough to give him the ball often enough to make it pay. AK also clearly gets frustrated at not seeing enough of the ball...
I'd rather have AK out wide and drifting in and try one of the others (Murphy, Skalak, Elvis or Solly when fit) in the Baldock role - or just simply reinstate Baldock.
Alternative when Goldson is match fit is to go 3-5-2 and give us more chance of creating from central areas - but suspect that's a non-starter to CH.
Worth a try last night, but I called the likely problem before the game and think I was proved to be correct.

Baldock has a slight calf injury.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hopefully back for the FA Trophy match at Stevenage next week ? ???

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
He needs to get fit so we can have all the usual rumours about him signing for Southampton in January.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here