Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knocky up front!

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Please Chris don't ever do that again!

I can see why he thought it might be worth a go but he barely saw the ball and was getting more and more frustrated. Cue moving him back to his best position, winner scored job done.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Many on here suggested that he could be the No 10 but he showed tonight that he couldnt,. Gooid try but not again hopefully as he seemed lost and wasted as he didnt know what to do or where to go.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
It was worth a try but didn't pay off at all . He is at his best running at defenders not with his back to goal

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
Agree. Wasted in this position. He's our best player. Play him in his bets position. Just highlights the need for the extra striker we desperately need. Unless.........
.............Elvis finally comes good..........any chance of that?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
With three games in a week he has to rest people, our other striker wasn't available so he had to try something different. Funny thing is there were plenty here who said he should so it before the game, there you go he tried it, it didn't work as well as it may have done, trial over, nothing lost.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
always surprises me how many managers will try the "play the scoring midfielder up front" when we see it rarely if ever works. basic analysis/punditry usually shows the high scoring midfielder does so because they come from deep and lose markers, when they start up front they cant do that easily. i wonder if its just a way to stop the fans suggesting it and return to normal service.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Agree. Wasted in this position. He's our best player. Play him in his bets position. Just highlights the need for the extra striker we desperately need. Unless.........
.............Elvis finally comes good..........any chance of that?

This is absolutely 100% correct WRT Knocky...

Never say never, but Elvis!? Maybe it's my suspicious mind...

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Also suprised how many managers try this. Hopefully only ever see Knockhaert out wide now. Similar to Lua Lua who will also only ever be wide player.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just a suggestion should we have perhaps signed another player to occupy the No 10 role when Baldock is injured or suspended somebody like Texeira when he left Liverpool.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Worth a try but difficult for a player, even one as good as Knockaert, to play in a completely new way. Maybe try Murphy in that role instead?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is there not a free agent available to fill the gap until January? Could BZ be enticed with a short contract to be on the bench and perhaps play 20 mins if required if his hip would take it? As a stand by with no intention of playing him longer..

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Murphy has experience playing that role too, and he clearly doesn't work well with Bong. I'd try Murphy there and stick Skalak/Knocky on the wings,

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
If you've got Seagulls Player, listen to Hughton's post match interview. He explained that having two up front, would have left us wide open to Huddersfield's counter attack, which is how they've been winning their matches so far this season.
It made sense to me. :shrug:

Blatter

Feb 27, 2012
If you've got Seagulls Player, listen to Hughton's post match interview. He explained that having two up front, would have left us wide open to Huddersfield's counter attack, which is how they've been winning their matches so far this season.
It made sense to me. :shrug:

Well, we certainly stopped them counter-attacking and scoring, so something must have worked. It also might explain why Skalak looked so out-of-place when we didn't have the ball, as I'm not sure he knew the formation he was supposed to adopt, or who he should have been marking

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
As usual, we all jump to conclusions on the basis of one game. One of Knockaert's old Leicester coaches was saying last season he thought he'd make a perfect number 10, and everything we've seen suggests he has the ability to cause chaos running at centre-backs from that role. Hughton has given something a go that a lot of people wanted to see... and maybe if he tries it again against a different team, it'll be a success.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here