Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] ***Sussex v Worcestershire - last game of season****

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
And Chris Jordan strikes in the second over: Worcs 6-1

Sussex looking a bit weak without Joyce (and Luke Wells is missing too)

Nash, Hudson-Prentice, Cachopa, Salt, Wiese, Brown, Robinson, Jordan, Archer, Briggs, Magoffin

That's a batting line-up to strike fear in an opposition

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
And Chris Jordan strikes in the second over: Worcs 6-1

Sussex looking a bit weak without Joyce (and Luke Wells is missing too)

Nash, Hudson-Prentice, Cachopa, Salt, Wiese, Brown, Robinson, Jordan, Archer, Briggs, Magoffin

That's a batting line-up to strike fear in an opposition

They play 16 county championship games in this season.

Away to Gloucestershire on 20th September will be the last.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Don't you mean last home game? Sussex play again on the 20th. With Joyce, Wells, Wright and even Machan out, that's a very poor looking batting side. Jorden may as well open!

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Last home game of the season. We do have the joy of following Sussex's travails at Bristol next week.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
They play 16 county championship games in this season.

Away to Gloucestershire on 20th September will be the last.

Yes, you're right. I meant last home game of the season

And it was 10-1, not 6-1

... apart from that, I was spot on :)

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Bowlers will have to do very well for us to win that game. By that I mean their bowlers to have a nightmare.

3/4 batsman needed next year of proven quality and consistency as well as spinner that can take 40 wickets in the championship. Briggs experiment of trying to turn him from an excellent one day bowler into a championship bowler hasn't worked unfortunately.

As for our younger batsman, I feel sorry for them, shifted around the order constantly. I think only Finch got given a run of games at the same number and he was the only one to do well.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
3/4 batsman needed next year of proven quality and consistency

Don't agree with that. Next year (assuming Joyce is off), we'll have Nash, Wells, Wright, Machan and Finch plus the youngsters - Haines, Salt, Davis and FHP. I agree that we'd need a couple more batters but three or four are too many - unless Wright and Machan's injuries arecareer ending.

Certainly need a spinner, I mentioned the other day that Adam Riley can't get a game at Kent. Sussex have a bit of a history of rescuing players whose careers have faltered, could he be another candidate for rescue?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Don't agree with that. Next year (assuming Joyce is off), we'll have Nash, Wells, Wright, Machan and Finch plus the youngsters - Haines, Salt, Davis and FHP. I agree that we'd need a couple more batters but three or four are too many - unless Wright and Machan's injuries arecareer ending.

Certainly need a spinner, I mentioned the other day that Adam Riley can't get a game at Kent. Sussex have a bit of a history of rescuing players whose careers have faltered, could he be another candidate for rescue?

Machin needs paying off.

Sargey

Jan 27, 2006
Portslade
Be nice to get an overseas player for the whole season also?

This seasons been weird on that front.....maybe they can sign David Wiese for the whole season next year to have a bit of continuity

Batting wise we are shocking....For me the likes of Wells, Machan & Capocha have never pushed on from the initial promise they showed and I'd show them the door along with Joyce (Age thing). Personally I don't think Finch will ever be good enough but I hope he proves me wrong!
Wright has had a poor season compared to last season (maybe injuries catching up, weight of captaincy or just playing crap) but he is still a class performer if he gets himself right.

LATEST SCORE - WORCS 55-2

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Be nice to get an overseas player for the whole season also?

This seasons been weird on that front.....maybe they can sign David Wiese for the whole season next year to have a bit of continuity

Batting wise we are shocking....For me the likes of Wells, Machan & Capocha have never pushed on from the initial promise they showed and I'd show them the door along with Joyce (Age thing). Personally I don't think Finch will ever be good enough but I hope he proves me wrong!
Wright has had a poor season compared to last season (maybe injuries catching up, weight of captaincy or just playing crap) but he is still a class performer if he gets himself right.

LATEST SCORE - WORCS 55-2

Bit harsh on Wells. He is averaging 41 this season and has scored over 700 runs.

Agree on the other two though.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Maybe, maybe not?

He's a player who infuriates me....I really thought he'd go on and be an international at one point but he seems to have petered out into mediocrity instead.

He got messed around with last year due to him playing limited overs stuff. It meant in the proper format he was chasing stuff he should have left.

That seems to have been cut out of his game this year.

In all fairness, bearing in mind the lack of batting coaching at Sussex, it is no surprise our batsmen go backwards.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Some familiar names for me in the Worcs line up too.
Joe Clarke plays his club cricket at my club [Wellington] and went on the Lions tour last Winter. Also, both Joe Leach and Ed Barnard have come through the Shrops youth cricket set-up, as did the now retired James Taylor - good lads ....

But I'm still Sussex in my roots

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
For me the likes of Wells, Machan & Capocha have never pushed on from the initial promise they showed and I'd show them the door a

Machan scored just a few runs short of 1000 runs last season, at an average of over 40 - he came good. He's been hampered by injury this year but I don't see how you can say that he's not pushed on.

Wells is a funny one: he's not had a bad season but you feel that he should be doing better.

Cachopa's no F/C cricketer, which is why I didn't mention him in my list of batsmen

I see that Mitchell is looking set for a ton - he's one of those players who always seems to do well against us (see Ramprakash, Law, Pothas, Stevens, Napier etc)

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Machan scored just a few runs short of 1000 runs last season, at an average of over 40 - he came good. He's been hampered by injury this year but I don't see how you can say that he's not pushed on.

Wells is a funny one: he's not had a bad season but you feel that he should be doing better.

Cachopa's no F/C cricketer, which is why I didn't mention him in my list of batsmen

I see that Mitchell is looking set for a ton - he's one of those players who always seems to do well against us (see Ramprakash, Law, Pothas, Stevens, Napier etc)

Machin does not have the concentration to play 4 day cricket.

He can only play one way and that is to try and wack the ball out of the ground.

No doubting the talent, but his interest seems to only be in the pyjama forms of cricket and I suspect that he needs to get away from his home town.

Sargey

Jan 27, 2006
Portslade

In my eyes, he's a player I have little confidence in....more often than not he will throw his wicket away and I think there are better youngsters worth sticking with than keeping him on the roster!......Most of these lads have been her a while now and been part of the demise of Sussex cricket again, maybe it would do their careers good also to move on?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here