Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] "If I don't see your name, I'll understand."

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Is it compulsory for this line to be present in EVERY single copy and paste and share thing that gets posted on Facebook?

1. You'll not see my name because I understand that copy and pasting this stuff ad finitum doesn't do a whole lot to promote awareness.

2. Please also understand that just because you don't see my name, it doesn't mean I don't care about the cause you believe you are promoting awareness of.

(Or do I have just Monday morning grumps?)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
ALLOWING PEOPLE IN TO BANKS WEARING BURKAS (sic) IS POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD. SHARE IF YOU AGREE

*hits unfriend button*

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
What is god's name are you talking about?

He's talking about those posts on Facebook where you're supposed to copy/paste a paragraph of text into your own status to "raise awareness" about something or other (usually some horrible disease/mental illness/animal cruelty/tragedy). The idea is that once you've posted it you write your name in the comments of your friends status to show that you've helped spread the good word.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What is god's name are you talking about?

There are what seems to be numerous copy&paste awareness posts on Facebook. Without fail, they always seem to include the line "If I don't see your name, I'll understand."

It's like somewhere there's a checklist for how to construct these posts and the inclusion of this sentence is mandatory. Examples...

"So suicide is the number one silent killer of good people! So if it's a killer, it should be a big concern. But it's not!!! That said, September is Suicide Prevention month . If I don't see your name, I'll understand. May I ask my family and friends wherever you might be, to kindly copy and paste this status for one hour to give a moment of support to all of those who have family problems, health struggles, job issues, worries of any kind and just needs to know that someone cares? Do it for all of us, for nobody is immune."

"Everyone goes through hard times at some point. Life isn't easy. Just something to think about. Did you know the people that are the strongest are usually the most sensitive? Did you know the people who exhibit the most kindness are the first to get mistreated? Did you know the ones who take care of others all the time are usually the ones who need it the most? Did you know the three hardest things to say are I love you, I'm sorry, and help me? Sometimes just because a person looks happy, you have to look past their smile to see how much pain they may be in. To all my friends who are going through some issues right now--let's start an intention avalanche. We all need positive intentions right now. If I don't see your name, I'll understand. May I ask my friends wherever you might be, to kindly copy and paste this status for one hour to give a moment of support to all of those who have family problems, health struggles, job issues, worries of any kind and just needs to know that someone cares. Do it for all of us, for nobody is immune. I hope to see this on the walls of all my friends just for moral support. I know some will!!! I did it for a friend and you can to. You have to copy and paste this one, NO SHARING."

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
There are what seems to be numerous copy&paste awareness posts on Facebook. Without fail, they always seem to include the line "If I don't see your name, I'll understand."

It's like somewhere there's a checklist for how to construct these posts and the inclusion of this sentence is mandatory. Examples...

"So suicide is the number one silent killer of good people! So if it's a killer, it should be a big concern. But it's not!!! That said, September is Suicide Prevention month . If I don't see your name, I'll understand. May I ask my family and friends wherever you might be, to kindly copy and paste this status for one hour to give a moment of support to all of those who have family problems, health struggles, job issues, worries of any kind and just needs to know that someone cares? Do it for all of us, for nobody is immune."

"Everyone goes through hard times at some point. Life isn't easy. Just something to think about. Did you know the people that are the strongest are usually the most sensitive? Did you know the people who exhibit the most kindness are the first to get mistreated? Did you know the ones who take care of others all the time are usually the ones who need it the most? Did you know the three hardest things to say are I love you, I'm sorry, and help me? Sometimes just because a person looks happy, you have to look past their smile to see how much pain they may be in. To all my friends who are going through some issues right now--let's start an intention avalanche. We all need positive intentions right now. If I don't see your name, I'll understand. May I ask my friends wherever you might be, to kindly copy and paste this status for one hour to give a moment of support to all of those who have family problems, health struggles, job issues, worries of any kind and just needs to know that someone cares. Do it for all of us, for nobody is immune. I hope to see this on the walls of all my friends just for moral support. I know some will!!! I did it for a friend and you can to. You have to copy and paste this one, NO SHARING."

Thank goodness I'm not on Facebook. Sounds dreadful.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
"A lack of a quality 20+ goal a season striker is the number one reason why Brighton & Hove Albion may fail to clinch promotion to the Premier League. This is a significant concern to many people across Sussex who may also be subject to abuse from the natives of the Croydon area. Please look out for Brighton & Hove Albion supporters who live in your neighbourhood. Check up on them frequently, particularly on Sundays when post-match stress disorder can be a significant problem for those affected. If I don't see your name, I'll understand. May I ask my family and friends wherever you might be, to kindly copy and paste this status for one hour to give a moment of support to all of those who support Brighton and may suffer health struggles, job issues and worries of a season of mid-table mediocrity. Show them that someone cares? Do it for all of us."

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
"A lack of a quality 20+ goal a season striker is the number one reason why Brighton & Hove Albion may fail to clinch promotion to the Premier League. This is a significant concern to many people across Sussex who may also be subject to abuse from the natives of the Croydon area. Please look out for Brighton & Hove Albion supporters who live in your neighbourhood. Check up on them frequently, particularly on Sundays when post-match stress disorder can be a significant problem for those affected. If I don't see your name, I'll understand. May I ask my family and friends wherever you might be, to kindly copy and paste this status for one hour to give a moment of support to all of those who support Brighton and may suffer health struggles, job issues and worries of a season of mid-table mediocrity. She them that someone cares? Do it for all of us."

Does this mean there may have been many thousands of people caring for me at some point, and I never knew? I'm touched. Thank you Mr Zuckerberg for creating such willing lemmings.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I am on facebook and use it a fair bit, but I very, very rarely share any of those things. I would only if it was something I felt genuinely particularly strongly about.

.................. like the availability of quality left-backs for championship teams who have tremendous problems in that position...........

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
And don't get me started on people who share obvious hoaxes or stuff made up by groups like "Britain First".

I used to just reply "it's a hoax" and paste the Hoax Slayer/Snopes link proving my point.

Now I just type "What happened when you googled it first this to see if it is, actually, true?"

Best reply. "I didn't bother, My boss shared it so it must be true!"

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is it compulsory for this line to be present in EVERY single copy and paste and share thing that gets posted on Facebook?

1. You'll not see my name because I understand that copy and pasting this stuff ad finitum doesn't do a whole lot to promote awareness.

2. Please also understand that just because you don't see my name, it doesn't mean I don't care about the cause you believe you are promoting awareness of.

Why are you spending so much time on Facebook, NSC not good enough for you?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

There's a football match tomorrow (thank goodness!)

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Another line is "I know who amongst my friends will post this".

**** OFF!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here