Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Credit to Dean Smith

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
"Having seen Brighton in their previous two home games, I changed our system to 4-1-4-1 and it is very pleasing to be the first side to score at the Amex this season and first to win."

Have we got a manager that can change our system?

Or do we play the same way 46 games of the season?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The man who made the difference was their no 15 Woods he ran the show which he wouldnt have been able to do had we started with Stephens and Kayal. so it is a plus to Dean Smith and a minus to Chris Hughton.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I am wondering whether teams have figured us out. It happened a couple of times last season where we couldn't cope in midfield as the opposition played 3 central midfielders against our 2. Obviously it was great that we won that battle many times with the brilliance of Kayal and Stephens but we need to be flexible. Hughton all too often makes changes too late when the game is slipping away imo.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It was obvious what Brentford were trying to do when they were attacking on the left side, they got caught offside a few times and then they scored from there.
I say obvious to anyone in the stands watching, Bruno didn't seem to have worked it out.

Stockseagull

Dec 2, 2011
Peak District
Their 9 Hogan put himself about and was v mobile. We can't play Murray and Hemed. Far too slow. Hemed isn't powerful in aerial exchanges and Murray not quick over 5m.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was obvious what Brentford were trying to do when they were attacking on the left side, they got caught offside a few times and then they scored from there.
I say obvious to anyone in the stands watching, Bruno didn't seem to have worked it out.

Bruno pushed up as normal but wasnt covered by Duffy who was useless on the ground rather than as Goldson did last season and couldnt get back quick enough to defend. It must be remembered that Goldson played at right back a number of times so is naturally used to covering that position from the middle. Duffy would have a problem covering a cut from shaving, although very good in the air at kicks from their keeper.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
I am wondering whether teams have figured us out. It happened a couple of times last season where we couldn't cope in midfield as the opposition played 3 central midfielders against our 2. Obviously it was great that we won that battle many times with the brilliance of Kayal and Stephens but we need to be flexible. Hughton all too often makes changes too late when the game is slipping away imo.

very much this. it was obvious at half time that we needed changes - nothing til gone 60 mins i believe.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Bruno pushed up as normal but wasnt covered by Duffy who was useless on the ground rather than as Goldson did last season and couldnt get back quick enough to defend. It must be remembered that Goldson played at right back a number of times so is naturally used to covering that position from the middle. Duffy would have a problem covering a cut from shaving, although very good in the air at kicks from their keeper.

Just seen a video of the goal and the build up to it, not sure Duffy is to blame for this.
The attack started by us losing the ball in the centre circle, Bruno was in the centre circle and far too slow to get back.

Last edited:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
They put Hogan up there knowing our fullbacks push up at home. Usually our midfield gets the upper hand but we lost that battle and subsequently, passes were being knocked over the top to Hogan. Bruno lacks the pace. I have a feeling if Roseignor was playing. We would have caught him. It still doesn't explain why our midfield was outmuscled. Norwood was taking balls off the defence to play passes, when Dunk is fully capable of playing a pass. The whole thing looked disjointed. Not a team that worked together. The credit to Dean smith is his players were organised and stuck to a game plan. They could have scored another couple too.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just seen a video of the goal and the build up to it, not sure Duffy is to blame for this.
The attack started by us loosing the ball in the centre circle, Bruno was in the centre circle and far too slow to get back.

If Bruno is forward shouldnt Duffy fill in to cover as Goldson did last season and Greer did before him? Isnt that the way we play?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
For Tuesday, Baldock has to Start, with Hemed. Murray on the bench. Goldson in for Duffy, Stephens in for Norwood, and I'd bring in Skalak for Murphy. Let's get back to normality.
We had a rough patch last year when we missed Rosenior Baldock and Hünemaiaer. Pretty similar this year. Let's hope the wobble is now and things go back to normal from here.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
If Bruno is forward shouldnt Duffy fill in to cover as Goldson did last season and Greer did before him? Isnt that the way we play?

Don't know, I just think Bruno should have worked out what Brentford were trying to do, there is a time to push up ( or stand in the centre circle :shrug: ) and a time to defend.
That goal was far too easy for them, one simple mistake and we were undone.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
For Tuesday, Baldock has to Start, with Hemed. Murray on the bench. Goldson in for Duffy, Stephens in for Norwood, and I'd bring in Skalak for Murphy. Let's get back to normality.

Totally agree. That was the team that was scoring for fun at the end of last season and we haven't played it at all this season (yes, I know Goldson hasn't been an option but we've scarcely played the others either)

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
TBH, think DS is blowing his own trumpet here. And why wouldn't he? If it had been 2-0 the other way, he might not have mentioned a formation change....

It is not a matter of 'teams working us out'. Our best run of form last season was actually after Cardiff, the last 14 games. Teams had had plenty of chances to work us out then, but to little effect.

No, formation changes can help at the margin, but the fundamentals are that we were poor in all departments. Having better players on form will outweigh formation changes in most games. We may have to accept that this team has not gelled in the way last season's did. For me, a key to success last year was DS and BK breaking up opposition play in central midfield. Teams never got going against us as a consequence. If DS is gone in all bar physical presence because of transfer issue then I fear a PO spot is very best we can look forward to.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The man who made the difference was their no 15 Woods he ran the show which he wouldnt have been able to do had we started with Stephens and Kayal. so it is a plus to Dean Smith and a minus to Chris Hughton.

Very much agree with this as the extra man in midfield he had the freedom of the park. It was clear from 20min in we needed an extra body or some pace to stop him running the game but we persisted with a system that was clearly not working. Should have gone 1 up front at half time and pushed Knockaert or Skalak centrally to occupy their 15 who continued to have acres of space to pick passes from

BFC

Jan 18, 2015
Dean Smith definitely got his tactics exactly right yesterday. Barring the period of about 20 minutes before we scored, we were in control and rarely for me at a game we're leading 1-0 in I was never really nervous. Hogan is an excellent striker, natural goalscorer who's a nightmare for defenders, but all our players were good today, not least Woods.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast

If you will allow a view from the "oppo" it seemed Bruno was playing well too far up the park and that there was no plan as to who would cover for him. Greer would have known that but I sense that without him Dunk is floundering. If Stephens had played from the beginning...but he was brought on far too late to turn your team around.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
If you will allow a view from the "oppo" it seemed Bruno was playing well too far up the park and that there was no plan as to who would cover for him. Greer would have known that but I sense that without him Dunk is floundering. If Stephens had played from the beginning...but he was brought on far too late to turn your team around.

Agree with most of that apart from " Dunk is floundering " it's probably Duffy.
Bruno can't get away with disappearing against quick young players, stating the obvious I know.
Stephens should have started, 100% agree.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here