Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Robert Eaton - 11.09.01 RIP

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
On the 11th it will be 15 years since Robert died in the tragic events in New York along with many others.

RIP

I never knew Robert but he was one of us a BHAFC fan and what I can say is that REMF has been extremely rewarding and a unique, memorable tribute to his life.

Having provided ball boys to then having both my sons playing in the games has been very humble and many, many BHAFC and CPFC fans have made huge efforts to make REMF events happen and subsequently providing funds locally, just up the road and to globally across the world.

Take time to pause and reflect

Last edited:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Well said Beachy.

I never met or knew Robert, but I'd like to think that he'd be, and indeed that his family are, very proud of all that has been achieved in his name.

I certainly think it's great that so much good has come from such a tragedy.

On a slightly different note, I can't believe it's been 15 years already.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
In the summer of 2014 I visited the Memorial site in Manhattan. I searched for Roberts name, when I found it I felt quite emotional. Like the above I never knew Robert but our shared love for The Albion gave us a bond. I feel immensely proud that those involved in the REMF have done such a wonderful job in his memory.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
15 years since Robert died, and since then the Robert Eaton Memorial Fund have raised over £225,000 in his name.

Never forget.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
It'll be a very emotional day today and my thoughts are with Robert Eaton's family and friends along with everyone else affected by that terrible tragedy.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
It'll be a very emotional day today and my thoughts are with Robert Eaton's family and friends along with everyone else affected by that terrible tragedy.

Just watching the Falling Man on catchup - RIP Robert. Btw your post was timed at 9.11

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
In the summer of 2014 I visited the Memorial site in Manhattan. I searched for Roberts name, when I found it I felt quite emotional. Like the above I never knew Robert but our shared love for The Albion gave us a bond. I feel immensely proud that those involved in the REMF have done such a wonderful job in his memory.
The whole site was very emotional however when I found his name it made it very personal and made me reflect and Robert will not be forgotten by Brighton fans. I also visited the HQ American Express office were they have in the foyer a memorial which has a tear drop running down it very emotional. But I also visited the nearby Fire Station again very sad. Well done REMF for keeping alive his memory.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
RIP Robert. May the REMF continue to go from strength to strength raising funds and helping others in your name and memory

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Main donations made by the REMF since 2001

£ 30000 Mini Bus
£ 20000 Worthing United Youth FC
£ 17000 AITC Powerchair team
£ 10000 Sutton Eagles
£ 6000 CPFC Foundation - new powerchair
£ 5000 5ways project
£ 5000 AITC
£ 12000 Los Peladitos - Queens, New York
£ 7000 Seagulls Specials
£ 5000 Coaching for Hope
£ 5000 teams in Kenya and Zambia
£ 1500 St Gertrudes, Hastings
£ 1200 Wickham Wanderers, Croydon

Donations of kit and equipment to numerous local teams in Sussex and Croydon, donations made to Cambodia, South Africa, Africa, USA, Kenya, Tanzania and many others since 2001

£ 225000 raised

15 Charity games players including fans of BHAFC and CPFC and Ricky Marlowe, 15 games, Peter Ward, 5 games, Andy Johnson, England 8 timer, Peter Taylor, Paul Rogers, Paul Watson, Stephen Rodgers, record crowd 1042, Amex 2016, 900 Southwick FC 2001

Annual football match, quiz night, Brighton marathon, golf day

Argus Charity of the year 2010, shortlisted 4 times

Well done everyone. The REMF will continue to grow and help others in the name and memory of Robert Eaton, RIP

Last edited:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
The REMF is a credit to all those that it involves and that Robert may no longer be with us and like many never meet him,but by golly will never forget him. May you R-i-P.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast

Agreed. Since 2001 I think a lot of the rancour between Albion and Palace has disappeared. That is something to welcome, and his family should be thanked for all that has been achieved in his name. I personally will never forget 9/11: I know exactly where I was and what I was doing all that terrible morning.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Out of a terrible tragedy, something amazing was created.

I still count it an absolute honour to have had the chance to have played in the original REMF game.

Many thanks to Crystal Palace supporters over the years for their support. Without their participation, it wouldn't be what it is.

Huge respect to all those involved in the organization over the last 15 years and their selfless dedication.

I hope that REMF and all the good coming from it is a comfort to the Eaton family today.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I watched the names read out on Sky News by American people who lost loved ones. It took a couple of hours. The sheer number is mind-blowing - almost 3,000. I won't ever forget that terrible day. The most haunting image for me and has been for 15 years is those people that were at the top of the towers. Either burn or jump to their deaths. To have time to know its the end. Just beyond shocking.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Main donations made by the REMF since 2001

£ 30000 Mini Bus
£ 20000 Worthing United Youth FC
£ 17000 AITC Powerchair team
£ 10000 Sutton Eagles
£ 6000 CPFC Foundation - new powerchair
£ 5000 5ways project
£ 5000 AITC
£ 12000 Los Peladitos - Queens, New York
£ 7000 Seagulls Specials
£ 5000 Coaching for Hope
£ 5000 teams in Kenya and Zambia
£ 1500 St Gertrudes, Hastings
£ 1200 Wickham Wanderers, Croydon

Donations of kit and equipment to numerous local teams in Sussex and Croydon, donations made to Cambodia, South Africa, Africa, USA, Kenya, Tanzania and many others since 2001

£ 225000 raised

15 Charity games players including fans of BHAFC and CPFC and Ricky Marlowe, 15 games, Peter Ward, 5 games, Andy Johnson, England 8 timer, Peter Taylor, Paul Rogers, Paul Watson, Stephen Rodgers, record crowd 1042, Amex 2016, 900 Southwick FC 2001

Annual football match, quiz night, Brighton marathon, golf day

Argus Charity of the year 2010, shortlisted 4 times

Well done everyone. The REMF will continue to grow and help others in the name and memory of Robert Eaton, RIP
Brilliant effort by all concerned I enjoyed the Brightobn v Palace fans game and it was great the club surported it . Keep the good work up.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The whole site was very emotional however when I found his name it made it very personal and made me reflect and Robert will not be forgotten by Brighton fans.

:thumbsup:

13737679_10209989805965539_6443694654778363520_o.jpg

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
RIP RDE

Like many others I remember very clearly that tragic day. I was working for the Civil Aviation Authority and I was chairing a meeting when someone rushed in and said:
"Sorry to interrupt, but there's been a terrible accident, a plane has crashed into one of the trade centre towers in New York"
Initial reaction by most was - crikey, bloody careless flying to run in to that huge building .... and assumed is was a private light aircraft.
But just a few mins later, when the second went in, there was a cold silence and we were glued to the TV News for the rest of the day.
Sickening.....

But great news that REMF has bought some happiness for some from such despair - well done all involved.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm making my first ever visit to NYC this week for a few days, and one of the first things I will be doing is visiting Ground Zero, to pay my respects to the victims of that terrible day that has stained our lives forever. I'll seek out Roberts name, and remember. He was one of us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here