Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens . . . either play him, or sell him..

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yes I know that there were a lot of poor performances on the pich today, and no player had a really good game, but for me, the main reason that we came away with a defeat was that we lost the midfield battle.

Doubtless the likes of Oliver Norwood tried hard, and that he will probably get better, but I think Beram Kayal missed his old mate today, In fact he looked lost without him.

As far as I'm concerned, as Stepehens is staying at the club, until January at least, then he needs to be starting games. Leaving him sitting frustrated on the bench is no way forward, either for him, or more importantly, for the club.

Last edited:

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Why did we sign Norwood? He does not fit 4-4-2 at all. Puzzling signing, and yet we have an excellent player sitting on the bench who we rejected 8m for. Would like to know Hughton's logic as I don't understand

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
Hughton will **** our season up. He's clueless now and what team to pick but it isn't rocket science.

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
Why did we sign Norwood? He does not fit 4-4-2 at all. Puzzling signing, and yet we have an excellent player sitting on the bench who we rejected 8m for. Would like to know Hughton's logic as I don't understand

Money mate. Hughton will be laughing he's been given an 4 yr contract.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Yes I know that there were a lot of poor performances on the pich today, and no player had a really good game, but for me, the main reason that we came away with a defeat was that we lost the midfield battle.

Doubtless the likes of Oliver Norwood tried hard, and that he will probably get better, but I think Beram Kayal missed his old mate today, In fact he looked lost without him.

A\s far as I'm concerned, as Stepehens is staying at the club, until January at least, then he needs to be starting games. Leaving him sitting frustrated on the bench is no way forward, either for him, or more importantly, for the club.

He will start on Tuesday

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

A\s far as I'm concerned, as Stepehens is staying at the club, until January at least, then he needs to be starting games. Leaving him sitting frustrated on the bench is no way forward, either for him, or more importantly, for the club.

He was used as a substitute. Seems an OK way of rehabilitating him in the team. I've got him down as a 'must start' for Tuesday though.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Norwood is decent...... OK not the same as our pairing last season, but those guys themselves are not performing in that way either!

We have 4 good players to play there and I really think when a couple step up, the others will be dragged up too. More surprising and worrying for me has been kayal this season. Thought he'd be he's bulldog self in a contract year.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I had no problem with him starting as a sub given what has gone on but it backfired badly. Norwood had an absolute nightmare and is likely to be useless in a two man midfield as he is too lightweight. As the OP says we lost the game because we lost the midfield and we got progressively worse as the game wore on. Even when Stephens was introduced we didn't improve that much as Brentford had their tails up and very worryingly, to me, the team spirit we had all last season seemed to have gone.

Hopefully just a second successive bad day at the office but worrying as we were well beaten by the end and look a shadow of what we were last season. Maybe all is not well behind the scenes .......

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Hughton will **** our season up. He's clueless now and what team to pick but it isn't rocket science.

You can't honestly think Hughton is clueless can you.... He is bedding him back in, it's really that simple. The team had a bad day, get over it. We were never going to repeat last season and should never think it's an automatic right too. There are some Damn good teams in the division and Brentford showed why they scored the most away goals last season in the championship.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I do so hope that you are right as our midfield was non existent again today having not learnt from Newcastle. Mind it was helped by poor performances from many around them.

Murray and Hemed are beginning to worry me a little bit too. Two big target men, very similar players who seemed to get in each others way today. We badly need a smaller quicker number ten, who can play off one of them, and finish the knock downs that they create.

Time to give Knockaert a start in that role?, and if we did, who would we play wide on the right? Come to that we didn't have much of a presence in a position we normally excel at today, left wing, Murphy was all but invisible. Was he actually playing?

Last edited:

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
I can only guess that we signed Norwood because we thought Stephens was on his way - certainly doesn't look any better than kayal or Stephens - a downgrade signing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here