Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Maenpaa must be livid

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
I thought the whole point of having 2 'strong' keepers was if one got injured the other keeps the shirt until they play badly. Maenpaa did absolutely nothing wrong against Rotherham yet a shaky Stockdale has been thrown back in and has made errors coupled with his horrendous kicking. Think it's a poor message sent by Hughton that Stockdale won't be dropped if fit.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I didn't think Stockdale had a bad game and wasn't at fault for their goals. Several times he saved us at one nil down.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I didn't think Stockdale had a bad Gabe and want at fault for their goals. Several times he saved us at one nil down.

On this occasion I thought he was. He committed to cardinal sin of not staying upright at the near post both times. The attacker had been closed off sufficiently for him to do that. He did make some good saves though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ah the old NSC adage - the less you play the better you get,

Murphy was the second best winger at the club...

...until today.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I didn't think Stockdale had a bad game and wasn't at fault for their goals. Several times he saved us at one nil down.

???

He looks like he's bereft of confidence to me. Lovely fella and a decent keeper, but it's time for a change.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Had this very same conversation with a fella today. Hughton convinced Maenpaa to stay and yet not been rewarded with a run in the 1st team following a faultless performance against Rotherham. Wonder if he is regretting signing already.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
Are you mad?, Stockdale could score three own goals and Hughton still wouldn't drop Stockdale. Stockdale should be playing for England.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
On this occasion I thought he was. He committed to cardinal sin of not staying upright at the near post both times. The attacker had been closed off sufficiently for him to do that. He did make some good saves though.
IMHO ...I don't think he was at fault for the second..excellent finish....several fine saves ..if we are to make changes then I think the need is elsewhere

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
One of our very best players last season but so far has looked like the Stockdale under Hyppia. His distribution alone is nowhere near the level of last season. I thought he was certainly at fault (although not solely) for the first goal. Got his angles wrong as he came out and made it far too easy for the striker. The second one I'm less sure about - yes it was near post but was a hell of a strike.

He also seems to be carrying quite a bit more weight than last season (as he was in first season). Really think it may be time to give Maenpaa a run - he did nothing wrong and, as others have said, must feel pretty disappointed to lose his place...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I didn't think Stockdale had a bad Gabe and want at fault for their goals.
Several times he saved us at one nil down.

Whilst admitting that he was beaten by two good finishes, I think that on another day he could have saved both of them. Both times he was beaten at his near post, an area keepers would like to think they have covered.

Both goals though came from defensive mistakes, and collectively he can't have have had too much confidence in the four men in front of him.

When it comes to team selection though I think Chris Hughton is very conservative, and I imagine that Stockdale will be back between the posts on Tuesday evening.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Finns don't get livid.

They become internally bemused but maintain an extremely polite, humble and self-deprecating demeanour.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Their second goal came about when Stockdale miskicked the ball and gave away possession. He was the start of the Brentford passage of play for the goal.

Well if we are to take him to task for that then I'll suggest that Duffys pass back wasn't that clever...or that for the first goal the problem stemmed further up the pitch

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
He can do OK and still not deserve to start IF the Finn is better. He got his chance, did little wrong and infact looked better (all be it not in a long enough stint to KNOW) so I think he should have kept the shirt.

That said if Finn had started, would we be bedwetting if he'd made a mistake and 'cost' us the game?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here