Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Recommend smart phones and tablets

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The wife would like to upgrade her iPhone 3Gs. A bit extravagant I know, but she's very demanding. We currently have an iPhone and iPad each, but I like the idea of switching to Android. I particularly want expandable storage.

So if we end up with 2 Android tablets and 2 phones, should we just pick and choose between different manufacturers for each, or is there any benefit of sticking with one brand (eg, so that we have one program on the PC to backup etc)?

Also, please recommend some different models.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The wife would like to upgrade her iPhone 3Gs. A bit extravagant I know, but she's very demanding. We currently have an iPhone and iPad each, but I like the idea of switching to Android. I particularly want expandable storage.

So if we end up with 2 Android tablets and 2 phones, should we just pick and choose between different manufacturers for each, or is there any benefit of sticking with one brand (eg, so that we have one program on the PC to backup etc)?

Also, please recommend some different models.

Why does she want to dispense with her 3Gs :moo:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Get a Galaxy S5, has many of the features of the latest models (I particularly like the water resistance) at a fraction of the cost.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I currently have an LG G4c and it is one of the worst phones I've ever owned. Horrendously slow, if you exit one app to enter another and then go back to original app, it forgets everything and reloads the entire app again, I've had it repaired once and it made no difference. The keyboard is dim witted and never remembers words unless you've spelt them wrong and then it will autocorrect them incorrectly every time. I had to find a secret admin settings section to turn off animations as even scrolling pages on the home screen can seriously slow the phone down.
From experience, I would have a Sony xperia every day, never had any issues with Sony before.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Please don't close the thread yet. Can you tell me why it's the best?

Have the G4 (bewildered by above post) and by far the most reliable I've had, bulletproof, good battery life, fantastic display and great camera. Not up on android software but it will use the best

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
From experience, I would have a Sony xperia every day, never had any issues with Sony before.
Conversely (and I promise not a tit for tat gesture :) ) we had a Sony Xperia and was horribly unintuitive to use and incredibly slow. That was a couple of years ago, to be fair.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Conversely (and I promise not a tit for tat gesture :) ) we had a Sony Xperia and was horribly unintuitive to use and incredibly slow.
If phones are using the same Android software, what is it that makes some less intuitive than others?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
If phones are using the same Android software, what is it that makes some less intuitive than others?
Different manufacturers customise the Android system installed on their phones with their own apps and widgets etc plus different shortcuts etc depending on the system and phone design.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I switched from a iPhone5 to a Sony Xperia Z5 nearly a year ago.

Superb piece of kit, good battery life, water resistant to a degree, nice big screen, brilliant camera, expandable memory and looks brilliant. What more could you want?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Different manufacturers customise the Android system installed on their phones with their own apps and widgets etc plus different shortcuts etc depending on the system and phone design.
Thanks. So does it make sense to have a phone and tablet from the same brand, so it's easier to get used to one style? Or do brands change their systems so that they don't match between different versions of phones and tablets?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Please don't close the thread yet. Can you tell me why it's the best?

Good call, looks like a decent size and has the SD slot I like. What's it missing that the S6 and S7 have?

I'm no expert but I think they're a bit tougher with a metal body - though I've had no issues with my S5 in the year or so that I've had it. The S6 isn't waterproof (they thought no-one wanted it for some reason), but the S7 is again. I imagine the other changes are the usual extra megapixels, etc.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Get a Galaxy S5, has many of the features of the latest models (I particularly like the water resistance) at a fraction of the cost.

Worst phone I have ever owned. Regularly tells me that the sim card is missing despite it being there and I have to reset. Battery life is pretty average, can't go a day without dying. Gets hot at times too.

Can't wait to get rid of the bloody thing in the next week.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here