Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Southern Health Trust

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
[video]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37288843[/video]

Did anyone else watch the programme about the "troubled" Southern health trust.

I may be biased because I live near Southampton, where it is based, and know someone who has been involved in protests about the operation of the trust as she has two sons who have been treated by it.

But how can someone resign from their job ........ eventually........ because they are no good at it, and then have a £240,000 a year job created for them from nothing. No, I didn't add a 0 - £240,000.

And to hear her say how difficult it has been - she has cried at work, she has cried at home and sometimes has had trouble motivating herself to get up in the morning to go to work. My wife is the head of a Public institution around here, is paid well under half of what this woman has been paid, and yes, it can be difficult sometimes, BUT THAT IS WHY SHE IS PAID £240,000 per year.

I'm quite cross..... and that is a deliberate understatement. Does the NHS not have capability procedures? or other ways of dealing with people who may not be up to the job, which many governors/former governors were suggesting. Either sort it out and confirm that she is competent, or get rid.

PS - this was on BBC south. Might it not have been on in Sussex?

el punal

DavidinSouthampton;75838 33 said:

I may be biased because I live near Southampton, where it is based, and know someone who has been involved in protests about the operation of the trust as she has two sons who have been treated by it.

But how can someone resign from their job ........ eventually........ because they are no good at it, and then have a £240,000 a year job created for them from nothing. No, I didn't add a 0 - £240,000.

And to hear her say how difficult it has been - she has cried at work, she has cried at home and sometimes has had trouble motivating herself to get up in the morning to go to work. My wife is the head of a Public institution around here, is paid well under half of what this woman has been paid, and yes, it can be difficult sometimes, BUT THAT IS WHY SHE IS PAID £240,000 per year.

I'm quite cross..... and that is a deliberate understatement. Does the NHS not have capability procedures? or other ways of dealing with people who may not be up to the job, which many governors/former governors were suggesting. Either sort it out and confirm that she is competent, or get rid.

And if I read the report correctly, no one else was interviewed for the "consultancy role". All strange in the extreme.

Collingburnian

May 13, 2016
Shoreham by Sea
This sort of crap is going on all over the NHS . The woman has been reawrded handsomely for having made a complete balls of her previous job and "rhey" have created a non-job for her at the same salary. It's a disgrace and this sort of thing makes you realise why the NHS is broke.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Having had experience of the Sussex Partnership Trust, which looks after mental health in Sussex, when Dad was in their care for a while, this too made me angry. I don't want to get Bozza into trouble, so I won't name the hospitals he was in, but the way he was treated, and Mum and me, when we were presented with a fait accompli of persuading him to go into their care or have him sectioned, left us feeling angry and scarred. I can't see how this appointment can possibly be justified. Frank Dobson sacked the Chair of the National Blood Authority when he was Health Secretary, and Ed Balls sacked the Director of Social Services in the Baby P case. I don't know how Jeremy Hunt would stand if he took the same action. The reporter on BBC News this evening said the authority feared they would lose a court case if they had made Ms Percy leave.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Having had experience of the Sussex Partnership Trust, which looks after mental health in Sussex, when Dad was in their care for a while, this too made me angry. I don't want to get Bozza into trouble, so I won't name the hospitals he was in, but the way he was treated, and Mum and me, when we were presented with a fait accompli of persuading him to go into their care or have him sectioned, left us feeling angry and scarred. I can't see how this appointment can possibly be justified. Frank Dobson sacked the Chair of the National Blood Authority when he was Health Secretary, and Ed Balls sacked the Director of Social Services in the Baby P case. I don't know how Jeremy Hunt would stand if he took the same action. The reporter on BBC News this evening said the authority feared they would lose a court case if they had made Ms Percy leave.

That's why I mentioned capability procedures. If something is done properly.........

.............. But they seemed to say on the Southern news a few minutes ago (at the beginning of news at ten) that she will leave the new post after a year, so maybe it is actually a way of dealing with it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
DavidinSouthampton;75838 33 said:

Also on at just after 8.30 BBC NEWS 24..harrowing!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The "Suits" section of the NHS has been like musical chairs for years and years. Incompetent people usually get made redundant or placed on "gardening leave" (because its too difficult to just sack them), trouser a massive cash sum if made redundant and then report for work the following Monday in another department in another town. It aint right.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I couldn't watch it as I knew it would make me very angry. My wife has just taken early retirement as an NHS nurse on health grounds, ground down by the various Trusts she's been shunted between. She's been a nurse since the mid 1980s and she said for the last ten years things got progressively worse and worse.When it comes to actual patient care and nursing the NHS Trust managers know **** all and care even less. Funding isn't the problem. Anyone who says the NHS just needs 'more money' and all that's wrong with it are 'Tory cuts' knows less than **** all. The whole thing needs to be re-thought.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I couldn't watch it as I knew it would make me very angry. My wife has just taken early retirement as an NHS nurse on health grounds, ground down by the various Trusts she's been shunted between. She's been a nurse since the mid 1980s and she said for the last ten years things got progressively worse and worse.When it comes to actual patient care and nursing the NHS Trust managers know **** all and care even less. Funding isn't the problem. Anyone who says the NHS just needs 'more money' and all that's wrong with it are 'Tory cuts' knows less than **** all. The whole thing needs to be re-thought.

Ive been saying this for a while. There is more money going into the NHS than ever before, but it is being wasted on paying these useless managers. IT packages bought which aren't fit for purpose, decisions made by those who haven't got a clue what they're doing.
I mentioned the way my father was treated, in the last three weeks of his life, at Worthing hospital, in another thread. I've lost all confidence in the NHS.
The grass root nurses & doctors are doing a great job, but with their hands tied behind their back, & blindfolded.
So this doesn't come across as a massive whinge, I must mention my local GP practise, which is wonderful. They have received an award recently for being excellent.

The NHS needs reorganising from top to bottom, so there aren't too many chiefs, but has it gone beyond that now?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
IT packages bought which aren't fit for purpose

Indeed - over the last few years I've worked 'with' the NHS on a couple of projects as an IT partner. One was with a local trust that wanted to upgrade their network. A number of options were provided using a number of different vendors. One solution stood out a mile as the best value for money but the trust rejected in favour of the most expensive - why ? - because 'unless it has Cisco on it we're not interested'. The managers aren't interested in getting the best value for money for the TAXPAYER, they just looking for cool badges.

The other project I was involved in was for the Department of Health. They wanted an NHS wide email system ( the trusts each ran their own system ). After millions invested in designs and contracts it wasn't possible to implement as many of the trusts played politics because they didn't like losing control over their own email.

The suits in the NHS aren't interested in patient care, aren't interested in value for money services - they're just interested in their own powerbase and their own pocket.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
You've got to love the line they gave out about the new post. So, they created a role specifically for this woman and they say "she is uniquely suited to it" - of course, she is, they created it for her. I'm all for people being well paid for doing a good job, but rewarding failure is simply ridiculous - you want to save money in the NHS, I know where I'd start.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
£190 000 for being a useless waste of space . Some of us can only dream .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37588815

I think the only good thing abput this is that they can draw a line under it and move on.

It's probably very telling in the article that they say this (£190,000) is the best way in terms of the public purse. In other words I guess she would have sued for wrongful dismissal and, even if they had defended it successfully, it would have cost a bomb.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I think the only good thing abput this is that they can draw a line under it and move on.

It's probably very telling in the article that they say this (£190,000) is the best way in terms of the public purse. In other words I guess she would have sued for wrongful dismissal and, even if they had defended it successfully, it would have cost a bomb.

Unfortunately probably true. Not defending her at all, but I'm guessing she'll never work again given her very public background.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I remember watching the moronic Chairman being questioned on telly about Ms. Percy's new job.
It was unbelievable and I ended up shouting and cursing at him...............this obviously worked 'cos now sanity has prevailed and she has gone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here