Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reykjavik, Iceland. Places to stay things to do?

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'm off to Reykjavik with 3 friends on 31st October for 3 nights.

Have you been? If so what can you recommend? Northern Lights tour and Blue Lagoon are a must. Was also looking at the Lava caves?

Will probably end up trying some crazy Icelandic cuisine like Súrir hrútspungar (Sour rams testicles) and Svið (Singed and boiled whole sheep head) also heard you can eat whale meat (not endangered whales) and Shark. I've heard its around £8 for a pint!

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
I went last February for 4 days. Did all the usual trips. I loved it but VERY, UNBELIEVABLY expensive.
Despite that, I'd like to visit again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Will probably end up trying some crazy Icelandic cuisine like Súrir hrútspungar (Sour rams testicles) and Svið (Singed and boiled whole sheep head) also heard you can eat whale meat (not endangered whales) and Shark. I've heard its around £8 for a pint!

If it's £8 a pint, these foul-sounding foodstuffs are hardly likely to come cheap. Maybe go for some kind of taster menu? Would seem a shame to blow all your cash on something you take one mouthful of and then :sick:

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I went about 15 years ago, really liked it, but the costs were crippling - had to limit myself to the cheapest tours I could find. Eating was a problem - I'm a slightly fussy eater and found it hard to identify restaurants that served anything that sounded nice but which also didn't charge £20 or more for a main course. Ended up eating quite a lot of chips. Supermarket wasn't that good for self-catering either. However, I hope all that has changed now (food-wise). The Blue Lagoon, Thingvellir, Gullfoss, Geysir and the outdoor swimming pools were all fantastic. Only wish I had had more money to spend. Would love to take my kids there.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Can you base yourself in Reykjavik and do all tours from there? Thanks for the website! looks like a good one!

Yes, absolutely.

Also, as Reykjavik is so small, don't worry too much about location in the city.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
I went last February for 4 days. Did all the usual trips. I loved it but VERY, UNBELIEVABLY expensive.
Despite that, I'd like to visit again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've worked out with flights accomodation and tours is going to cost £335 - not included food drinks and transport.

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
We stayed in the Grand Hotel, was pretty reasonable and fairly central. Dont believe all the stories about ridiculous prices, its like anywhere, you need to shop around a bit. Obviously they import most things so some stuff will be higher than you are used to, but its not insurmountable. Alcohol is expensive though so would recommend buying a load of cans at the airport to consume in your room, beats paying the prices in the hotel which are always over the top anyway.

Go to Pingveller National Park, Gullfoss, Geysir etc, worth hiring a car for the time you are there.

One of my favourite places I have been to, the scenery is just amazing. Enjoy!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sounds as eye-wateringly expensive as Norway. Went to Tromso earlier this year and it was £8 a pint minimum and £25 for locally caught cod and chips and just about every other damn main course also! Would highly recommend you only consider booking somewhere that includes breakfast in your deal. Stuff your face so you can skip lunch and restrict yourself to a crippling-expensive evening meal. sounds a crap thing to have to do on holiday, but if you're on a budget - and at those prices EVERYBODY's on a budget - then needs must. Save your money for the trips.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Sounds as eye-wateringly expensive as Norway. Went to Tromso earlier this year and it was £8 a pint minimum and £25 for locally caught cod and chips and just about every other damn main course also! Would highly recommend you only consider booking somewhere that includes breakfast in your deal. Stuff your face so you can skip lunch and restrict yourself to a crippling-expensive evening meal. sounds a crap thing to have to do on holiday, but if you're on a budget - and at those prices EVERYBODY's on a budget - then needs must. Save your money for the trips.

i can see why the flights were only £75. We are staying in a Hostel and even that is £25 per night!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Might be my favourite place in the world.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Was there a couple of weeks ago for the Reykjavik marathon. Superb place, stunning....and the prices are eyewatering - £8 a pint, £4+ a coffee or tea. Food also expensive. However I would go back.

Things I would say are a must (other than the northern lights which we did not see as wrong time of the year)

Reykjavik itself is lovely, go up the tower in the church for stunning views and go on a whale watching trip (wrong time of year for Puffins). Please watch the whales dont eat them. They have slaughtered 33 minkie whales this year and most of this goes to feed tourists - the majority of locals no longer eat whale meat. I would also visit a local thermo pool, hot water when the air is old is lovely (even if a bit smelly!)

Golden cicle is fab

Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon is superb, but quite a long way from Reykjavik (our day coach trip was 16 hours) but also included stops at waterfalls which are also breathtaking.

I would have gone (if had the funds and time) glacier walking and to see the volcanoes more closely.

I want to go back when you can see the Northern Lights. Have a great trip

Mark R

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I went about 15 years ago and it was about £8 a pint then! (but duty free on the way out was really cheap). Damon Albarn owned a bar in the city and we drank there most of the time.

If you get lost in an Icelandic Forest there is an easy way to find the way out....

...stand up. The combination of cold, wind and volcanic rock means their trees only grew a couple of feet high.

The scenery is amazing... go to all the places mentioned above but also just take a drive out away from the main roads/towns and enjoy the amazing alien-looking landscape.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
The Blue Lagoon is a bit shit. You're basically swimming round an outdoor pool in the wastewater from the local power station, stopping occasionally to pointlessly rub mud on your body.

Other than that I absolutely loved pretty much everything else about Iceland.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here