Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Today's the day...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's been a year but today is the day that Apple unveil their new baby to an eagerly-watching world.

See you on the 7th new iPhone.jpg

Yes, it's new iPhone announcement day and what can be more exciting than that (other than the Albion signing a 4th striker)?

People often insist I shut down NSC to coincide with Apple announcements in order that they can fully focus on the news - I'll make a call on that later today.

So, what can we expect? There seems to be widespread consensus, that...

- The design will not be significantly different from the iPhone 6/6s Plus/s Plus models from the last couple of years, with a radical redesign being held back for next year's 10th anniversary iPhone.
- The removal of the headphone jack. Wired headphones to use the lightning port or, of course, go the Bluetooth route.
- The biggest battery capacity boost on an iPhone ever (due to space saved by the removal of the headphone jack).
- Usual improved/faster CPU and camera.
- The Plus having a new dual lens camera allowing better zooming and low light shots.
- A pressure-sensitive home button that can provide feedback by way of vibrating.
- Another speaker and/or microphone on the bottom of the phone where the headphone jack used to be.

Apple Watch 2 could be unveiled, likely to include GPS (for running etc) and improved performance and battery life.

What can't YOU wait to see later today (6pm kick-off)?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It's been a year but today is the day that Apple unveil their new baby to an eagerly-watching world.

View attachment 77716

Yes, it's new iPhone announcement day and what can be more exciting than that (other than the Albion signing a 4th striker)?

People often insist I shut down NSC to coincide with Apple announcements in order that they can fully focus on the news - I'll make a call on that later today.

So, what can we expect? There seems to be widespread consensus, that...

- The design will not be significantly different from the iPhone 6/6s Plus/s Plus models from the last couple of years, with a radical redesign being held back for next year's 10th anniversary iPhone.
- The removal of the headphone jack. Wired headphones to use the lightning port or, of course, go the Bluetooth route.
- The biggest battery capacity boost on an iPhone ever (due to space saved by the removal of the headphone jack).
- Usual improved/faster CPU and camera.
- The Plus having a new dual lens camera allowing better zooming and low light shots.
- A pressure-sensitive home button that can provide feedback by way of vibrating.
- Another speaker and/or microphone on the bottom of the phone where the headphone jack used to be.

Apple Watch 2 could be unveiled, likely to include GPS (for running etc) and improved performance and battery life.

What can't YOU wait to see later today (6pm kick-off)?

And if that lot comes true I'll not be upgrading this year.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Interesting - if the Apple watch includes GPS and other functionality that you currently get with a mid-range Garmin, I might well consider it as a generic watch replacement. The current watch version is next to useless to runners unless you want to run with your phone (and for me, a key purpose of a running watch is to avoid having to take my phone out on runs). If the watch also has facility to play music through bluetooth headphones like the new Tomtom watches, then it could be a real boon for runners.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
And if that lot comes true I'll not be upgrading this year.

What is it that you want/don't want?

I'll be upgrading regardless as my launch day iPhone 6 is struggling, mainly as it's strapped to my arm when I run and has suffered with sweat/rain ingress as a result. Which reminds me, I did also read that the new iPhone will also possibly have some sort of mild waterproofness as I know some other phones have introduced.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I made the decision roughly this time last year to leave Apple and join the darkside, Android.

I had heard so many people tell me how much better android was and much better value for money. Eventually i fell for it and switched. Terrible decision. I can only assume those telling me that had never owned an Iphone. Terrible advice.

I have a year left on my contract but i might pay it off early.

Apple, I'm sorry. I want to come back, if you'll have me.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Upgraded mine and the missus iPhones to the 6s in May, and by the sounds of your list Bozza I haven't lost out much by waiting. I'm not a Apple addict so probably won't bother with the 10 year anniversary either - I tend to go for the 's' models anyway, once they've ironed out the occasional kinks they get. My previous (and only) one was the 4s, so that served me well for a long time. Started massively playing up though so a change was overdue.

I'm desperately looking forward to Saturday, no F1 to keep me going this week either :(

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Interesting - if the Apple watch includes GPS and other functionality that you currently get with a mid-range Garmin, I might well consider it as a generic watch replacement. The current watch version is next to useless to runners unless you want to run with your phone (and for me, a key purpose of a running watch is to avoid having to take my phone out on runs). If the watch also has facility to play music through bluetooth headphones like the new Tomtom watches, then it could be a real boon for runners.

My Garmin FR235 has not left my wrist since I bought it. My 'proper watches' such as a nice Omega now sit in a box. I could also be tempted by Apple Watch 2, although I significantly prefer round watches to square/rectangular ones.

Despite having the Garmin I also take my phone with me when I run to listen to music/podcasts so, as you say, if the new watch can store and play media then that could further tempt me.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I made the decision roughly this time last year to leave Apple and join the darkside, Android.

Ugh. As mentioned, I'm no Apple fan, but my ex switched to Android (admittedly Sony) a while back and god it was awful. Say what you want about Apple but the user experience is streets ahead of Android. (Based on my experiences)

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

I had heard so many people tell me how much better android was and much better value for money. Eventually i fell for it and switched. Terrible decision. I can only assume those telling me that had never owned an Iphone. Terrible advice.

I have a year left on my contract but i might pay it off early.

Apple, I'm sorry. I want to come back, if you'll have me.

100% agreement from me. I have both. A personal iPhone and and an Android work phone. The Android phone is SHITE.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
My contract is up for renewal in October so I await this announcement with interest. The headphone jack thing bothers me a little, but if it benefits battery life I'm sure I could live with it. Anyone use bluetooth headphones with their phones? Any good ones out there? I've never used them before.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Turn off for me is no headphone jack. I don't want to have to buy a decent quality pair of blueteeth headphones as well as a phone. I will though, eventually.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
100% agreement from me. I have both. A personal iPhone and and an Android work phone. The Android phone is SHITE.

Out of interest, when you remark about the quality of the Android handset, what make was it?

I have used Sony Xperia for some time and found them to outperform the iPhone in almost every way.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
What is it that you want/don't want?

I'll be upgrading regardless as my launch day iPhone 6 is struggling, mainly as it's strapped to my arm when I run and has suffered with sweat/rain ingress as a result. Which reminds me, I did also read that the new iPhone will also possibly have some sort of mild waterproofness as I know some other phones have introduced.

Ah...I'm on the 6s and whilst theres nothing on that list that I'd be unhappy about I'd rather keep my powder dry for next year.
Re the watch I've been more than happy with a Pebble, I didn't want to spend too much because of the potential for it getting knocked or scratched whilst working.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here