Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Stephens start on Saturday?

Should Dale Stephens start against Brentford on Saturday?

• Of course, Hughton said he's been good as gold & he's one of our best players

Votes: 220 89.1%
  • No chance, he might still be in a sulk & Hughton won't want to risk him getting stick from fans

Votes: 27 10.9%

• Total voters

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Now Dale's fitness is, miraculously, it seems, back up to speed, do you think Hughton should pick him to start against Brentford?

Last edited:

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
I think he will come on from the bench at around 60 mins.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In favour of him starting:

-he's one of our two best midfielders
-we lacked something against Newcastle in his absence
-Hughton previously said he'd been good as gold about potential transfers
-Sidwell hasn't set the world alight thus far

Against:
-he's made it clear he didn't want to stay here
-he handed in a transfer request, which perhaps went against what Hughton said about him displaying a great attitude to transfer activity.
-players are supposed to feel like they've earned their place, and he can hardly claim that this season so far

-

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Brentford, Huddersfield and Burton games in quick succession to rotate Norwood, Sidwell, Stephens and Kayal.

Stephens, Sidwell - Brentford
Norwood, Kayal - Huddersfield
Stephens, Kayal - Burton

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
**I've changed the thread title/ question to "Should...?" rather than "Will...?", as I'm interested to see what the NSC consensus is on this.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
**I've changed the thread title/ question to "Should...?" rather than "Will...?", as I'm interested to see what the NSC consensus is on this.

I'd go for no...but not for the reasons stated..such as sulking and getting stick as CH I'm pretty sure wouldn't even consider that.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There is no evidence this season to back that up as he has barely played.

You think there's no evidence that Dale Stephens is one of our two best midfielders? :ohmy:

I'd suggest most of last season was enough to suggest to me he is. Granted, we've since signed Norwood and Sidwell, but I've yet to see conclusive proof that either of them is superior (not intended to be disrespectful to them: I just mean we've not seen enough of either to judge yet).

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I'd start Kayal and Stephens. I think the reason we haven't started this season as well as we did last year is because they are yet to play together.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
It's a yes from me. If not then Norwood and Kayal. We need to get Kayal and Stephens paired up again, they are one of the best pairings in the division.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
What reasons then?

One reason...and that's for now those who wanted to stay at the club...I don't think Kayal and Sidwell works...the only game I've seen it was the SW play off home leg....so for me Norwood should start...that's not to say I don't want Stephens in..he was my vote for player of last season..but straight after handing in a transfer request...nope.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here