Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has the Worthing FC rebellion been quashed?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I thought Worthing were The Rebels but, reading a report on the club site, I now see them referred-to as 'The Mackerels'. What's going on? It all seems a bit fishy to me.

btw...they won 6-2 in the FA cup replay at Carshalton.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I thought Worthing were The Rebels but, reading a report on the club site, I now see them referred-to as 'The Mackerels'. What's going on? It all seems a bit fishy to me.

Wikipedia - Worthing FC

The club's intriguing nickname of "The Rebels" dates from when it resigned from the West Sussex League over a rule change, prior to becoming a founder member of the Sussex County League in 1920. Previously Worthing had been known as "The Mackerel Men": a reference to the fish on the club crest.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just looked at wiki and lists ex players who played in the FL but omits Allan Arnell and Fred Perry who they signed from Chichester in the late 50s and both went to Liverpool I am sure they both made a few appearances for Liverpool

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Just looked at wiki and lists ex players who played in the FL but omits Allan Arnell and Fred Perry who they signed from Chichester in the late 50s and both went to Liverpool I am sure they both made a few appearances for Liverpool

Perry only made 1 appearance for Liverpool but Arnell scored 33 league goals in 69 appearances (albeit over about 8 seasons).

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
In thought that was so especially about Perry but didnt think Arnell played so many and was there so long.

Arnell moved on to Tranmere where he had a very similar scoring record (34 league goals in 68 matches) and then Halifax (6 in 14), giving him a career league total of 73 goals in 151 matches (which isn't too shabby at all).

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I always thought Shoreham were known as the mackerels? And yes they did!, after being 2-0 down at one stage.

Edit . . . Shoreham are the musselmen!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I always thought Shoreham were known as the mackerels? And yes they did!, after being 2-0 down at one stage

In the first game they were 1-3 down at home, got it back to 2-3 and finally scored the equaliser with a penalty in the 6th minute of injury time, hence the replay.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here