Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

fair to say

Jan 30, 2008
Brighton and Hove isn't really up to much and some parts are a disgrace , seen some sights and I think the place is tarted up big time, take of the Glossy exterior off and it reveals a whole host of issues IMHO
regards
DR

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I first came to Brighton in 1975 and it was seedy as hell, so what's changed?

Waterloo Street stands out as almost slum like back then

Isn't the seediness half the attraction?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Always has been, always will; just like a little London by the sea with all the good bits and bad bits.

It's taken you a long time to fall in.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Ha! you should visit Lewes you can't walk the streets after dark without some oddball offering to sell you their organs for nectar points .

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

This. I've been here since 1980 and it was ALWAYS seedy. The North Laine was positively DICKENSIAN. Housing was so affordable that nobody even thought to think of it as a thing.

It only changed when HRH made us into a millenium city and the DFLs started regarding B&H as a sort of commutable Ealing-By-Sea with 50% off the property prices.

Most of B&H is still pretty tatty, and none the worse for it. Wouldn't live anywhere else in the UK.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All 'end of the train line' destinations are seedy, always have been.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Ha! you should visit Lewes you can't walk the streets after dark without some oddball offering to sell you their organs for nectar points .

Lewes is like the scene from Airplane where he's walking through the airport at the beginning fighting off Hare Krishnas etc. If you can escape the chuggers, the addicts lurking outside the train station and in the passageways will get you. I guess no tolerance policing elsewhere has driven them further afield, oh how the chattering classes and ladies that lunch in Bills must love it, you don't pay Brighton prices for a house and expect to have to put up with 'Brighton' on your doorstep.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
All 'end of the train line' destinations are seedy, always have been.

I have recently had cause to visit both Bournemouth and Poole - on separate occasions - and for "domestic reasons".
The missus and I took the opportunity to visit both towns and seafronts in anticipation of a bit of shopping and eating, and I have to say ......

.... they truly are both cr*p!!

Brighton is a paradise in comparison - but perhaps that goes without saying.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
And you have the gall to criticise Croydon ! :smile:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

House prices :(

It's still a damned site nicer than most places in this country. In most countries in Western Europe you could go to any bang average town and it would look beautiful compared to places in this country. I'm talking about YOU Reading and Leicester.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If you think Brighton, or anywhere in Sussex, for that matter, is a disgrace and seedy, then you haven't travelled much, imo. There are far worse places in Britain.

House prices have always been higher than the majority of Britain too. That's why I lived away when I got married.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I have recently had cause to visit both Bournemouth and Poole - on separate occasions - and for "domestic reasons".
The missus and I took the opportunity to visit both towns and seafronts in anticipation of a bit of shopping and eating, and I have to say ......

.... they truly are both cr*p!!

Brighton is a paradise in comparison - but perhaps that goes without saying.

I was down in Bournemouth for a few days last year, looked OK. Plus went to one of the best fish n chip shops in UK, Chez Fred, There are far worse holes in the UK than a few south coast towns.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
And you have the gall to criticise Croydon ! :smile:

You are coming on here mentioning Croydon on a thread about Brighton? Brighton may be a bit seedy, Croydon is a cesspit, but you already knew that so you can jog on now.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
My ma and da came up north a year ago to see Blackpool illuminations. Obviously all the romance and stuff surrounding it for those who haven't been etc. I kind of had an inkling that it wasn't all that, off season etc. But parents were both blissfully unaware until GF and I went to meet them from Manchester. When we got there it was apparent that apart from 2P pusher machines it was run down and very disappointing really. We ended up having a meal in Weathy's and spending about 3 hours there. Brighton is a goldmine compared to that and I'm thankful I ever grew up there.

Perhaps I should have taken them to Conwy, Llandudno, Barmouth etc. Those places are beautiful. There's nothing there at all, but that's the point. No cars, no industry, just quiet harbours with a few chippies and plenty of scenery.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here