Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

21 years since THAT moment....

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
[YT]yCxe4r6SjH0[/YT]

One of the defining moments of football in the 90's and many credit it as one of the reasons why football flourished so much in that era. Still remember it like it was yesterday, watched it in the Old Black Bull in Yeovilton and the whole pub was agog when it happened.

:ohmy:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Incredible.

And I was there.

Only about 20K at Wembley that night but I was working with a Colombian guy and we went together. Pretty awful match apart from the Scorpion.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Incredible.

And I was there.

Only about 20K at Wembley that night but I was working with a Colombian guy and we went together. Pretty awful match apart from the Scorpion.

I thought there must have been more than that there, I know friendlies at Wembley in that era could be fairly sparse but you're right - official attendance 20,038 inc away fans 317. Dennis Wise played as well.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The linesman had flagged for offside before he did it though. I didn't know that at the time watching on TV though. It was incredible.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I remember watching it well because I had a job painting and decorating in a beautiful house in Rye that we stayed in instead of driving back and forth to Brighton.

It was a DIRE game apart from that moment.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The linesman had flagged for offside before he did it though. I didn't know that at the time watching on TV though. It was incredible.

Poor decision from the lino, harmless shot, no-one interfering with play, England would have been FUMING had it gone in and then been disallowed.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The only England game I have seen live. As said above, dull game apart from that save.

The save was the game really. I have no recollection of anything else, couldn't tell you who scored but I will always remember the scorpion kick and standing there agog in front of the TV in the pub.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Wasn't the best game as I remember (was there but just a young kid). But I remember that moment and everyone trying it at primary school the next day

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Not aware that any keeper has attempted it in a competitive game since then ( hardly surprising ) but if there is any evidence, would love to see it.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Always good playing South American teams.

Still don't know why we can't play Argentina at Wembley; Messi, Aguero, Higuain, Di Maria, Mascherano etc. It would be a fantastic game even for a friendly. We're always playing Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland or France.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Just reminiscing over the decade and don’t think there was a moment like this in the teens. Still takes your breath away watching it now, and how football flourished as a result of this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here