Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Prisoner at 50.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
The only time that a Village litter bin appeared in The Prisoner was in Checkmate. It was situated near No. 6's cottage and had a sign saying 'Please place litter here'. It could be seen in the background as No. 6 ran up the steps near the base of the bell tower in pursuit of the Rook

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The only time that a Village litter bin appeared in The Prisoner was in Checkmate. It was situated near No. 6's cottage and had a sign saying 'Please place litter here'. It could be seen in the background as No. 6 ran up the steps near the base of the bell tower in pursuit of the Rook

I said you won't get it!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I've stayed at Portmerrion - it is still a very odd place.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Reckon only P/MG knew what he was doing at the time,but was he throwing 1984 into the equation ?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Was down in North Wales last year, making sure I'd ordered The Prisoner DVD to take with us so I could subject my other half to it in our little coal miner's holiday cottage before we visited Portmerion the next day. Was very disappointed that the teen working behind the shop counter had little knowledge of, nor interest in, The Prisoner.

Me and a couple of mates drove Seaford to Portmerion on a Prisoner pilgrimage in about 87 or 88 just after passing our driving tests, slept in the car, it was very One Summer ("Icky!"). Spent loads in the shop on that visit, t-shirts, pics, badges, car stickers etc.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Reckon only P/MG knew what he was doing at the time,but was he throwing 1984 into the equation ?

Certainly explored similar theme of individual freedom. This 50th anniversary is when they first started shooting the series. The 50th anniversary of the first broadcast is September 2017. I was too young to catch it the first time round but saw it when it was repeated on Channel 4 in 1983. Brilliantly surreal iconic British television.

Be Seeing You

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Was it not a surreal spin off from Danger Man, McGoohan's previous series ?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Was it not a surreal spin off from Danger Man, McGoohan's previous series ?
It was ambiguous as to whether it was or not. His character in Danger Man was called John Drake. In The Prisoner he doesn't have a name, just a number, Number 6.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I watched the original on the tellybox and, being a big fan of the Emma Peel era Avengers, found the modern eye candy aspect very appealing. But I was only 8 years old, and the relentless repetition (escape attempt, folied, random new characters, no actual plot) rather undermined the overall pleasure. Also my understanding was that McG was still filming when the series started to air, and because it wasn't a hit, they ran out of funds so that the last episode was a bit of a shambles. Rather like the last episode of Millennium (which was actually an embedded episode of the X files). I have the DVD set but I only watched a couple of episodes before getting distracted by something else . . . .

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Loved Patrick McGoohan's previous series (Danger Man) so was looking forward to the sequel (and yes, it was a sequel), The Prisoner. Religiously sat and watched several episodes, with increasingly less and less enthusiasm. Then, tele addict as I was in those days (we hadn't had a tele very long), I switched it off and went to do something else. Can't remember what, but anything - even cleaning the shoes or tidying my room - was more interesting than watching that c***!

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
It must be very tough on millennials who must wade through all the meaning less rubbish that baby boomers talk about so much.

Oh my god!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here