Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crossover widening.

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
I want my crossover widening, applied for this via council got an approved list of contractors, seems nobody wants to do this, or gets back to my messages or returns calls. Can good old NSC recommend anyone, think the problem is needing to have 10 million liability insurance to work on the highway.

Cheers

Danny

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I want my crossover widening, applied for this via council got an approved list of contractors, seems nobody wants to do this, or gets back to my messages or returns calls. Can good old NSC recommend anyone, think the problem is needing to have 10 million liability insurance to work on the highway.

Cheers

Danny

I would have thought that anyone doing this work would have £10m PL cover in place given that it's a standard Council requirement, and if on a Council approved list would have this in place otherwise I assume they would not be on the list.

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
I would have thought that anyone doing this work would have £10m PL cover in place given that it's a standard Council requirement, and if on a Council approved list would have this in place otherwise I assume they would not be on the list.

2 I called don't have it anymore, and other called either don't answer or are not returning calls, don't have to use the list they supply just wondered if one knows a builder who can do this kind of work. that's all.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Anybody else googled 'crossover' and still none the wiser? ???

I thought it was something to do with widening his car, and was quite intrigued until I saw the builder references...as you say you learn something new everyday

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Ah, right, cheers, learn something every day :thumbsup:

Edit: just a thought: maybe the contractors who don't return your mails or calls don't know what 'crossover' means either :moo:
If they are on the Council's approved list , then they bloody well should know what a crossover is!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
10m public liability seems mighty high for such a simple job.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Here in Leeds it's just called a dropped kerb and pavement

Same here and throughout my old company that had to do drainage surveys when people applied for them

Maybe call back and say dropped kerb?

P.S - I googled too and the first hit was this thread

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
10m public liability seems mighty high for such a simple job.

It's not about it being a simple job.

The £10m public liability insurance is in place for any work an approved contractor can do. This crossover job would evidently be merely a small job in comparison to what they're allowed to do.

My now ex has to have seven-figure public liability insurance for her school. It's not necessarily what any damage might be about; it is, with all things like this, there to cover the largest costs of any claim - the sodding solicitors.

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
Same here and throughout my old company that had to do drainage surveys when people applied for them

Maybe call back and say dropped kerb?

P.S - I googled too and the first hit was this thread

Tried both, the application form from the council says crossover, I always called it dropped kerb but thought I would use correct wording , that's helped eh!!

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Tried both, the application form from the council says crossover, I always called it dropped kerb but thought I would use correct wording , that's helped eh!!

It's quite amusing as I worked for the water board for 6 years and went on a number of surveys to check and never heard it referred to as a crossover.

I had visions in my head of you having some sort of elaborate Spaghetti Junction style driveway crossing over the main road (I have an over active imagination and it is Monday)

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
It's quite amusing as I worked for the water board for 6 years and went on a number of surveys to check and never heard it referred to as a crossover.

I had visions in my head of you having some sort of elaborate Spaghetti Junction style driveway crossing over the main road (I have an over active imagination and it is Monday)

I guess I will have to keep trying this list. oh well thanks anyway

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I had Crossovers when I had a Scalextric set many (45 to 50) years ago.

But over here the local authority responsible for roads would do it - Hampshire County Council in our case - at a price.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here