Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spider Bite

Dawn Korus

Oct 17, 2010
Christmas Island
This morning I was unfortunate enough to be bitten by a False Widow whilst laying in bed. The pain, almost instant was unbelievable. Not only in the massive red blister that appeared on my shoulder but in the pain that shot down my left arm and raising my heart rate. After three hours in A&E I've been let out with antibiotics and other pain relief but I'm still feeling scrambled and sore. I don't recommend getting bitten by a False Widow.

More alarmingly, I was the 3rd person within the past 12 hours who'd been admitted with the same condition, apparently this time of the year the spiders migrate in to houses as its warmer. Be careful everyone, check bed sheets, pyjamas etc as would hate for you or your kids to suffer this.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Spotted this monster in my shed yesterday !

20160903_112516.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This morning I was unfortunate enough to be bitten by a False Widow whilst laying in bed. The pain, almost instant was unbelievable. Not only in the massive red blister that appeared on my shoulder but in the pain that shot down my left arm and raising my heart rate. After three hours in A&E I've been let out with antibiotics and other pain relief but I'm still feeling scrambled and sore. I don't recommend getting bitten by a False Widow.

More alarmingly, I was the 3rd person within the past 12 hours who'd been admitted with the same condition, apparently this time of the year the spiders migrate in to houses as its warmer. Be careful everyone, check bed sheets, pyjamas etc as would hate for you or your kids to suffer this.

I take it you aren't in the Christmas islands now then!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Good thread!

I read it to my teenage son, and he is now tidying the cesspit that he calls his bedroom as a result.

Thanks.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
False widow bites are effing painful. I can attest to this after getting nailed by one a couple of years ago. You could even see the two distinct holes where it sank it's bloody fangs in. Really unpleasant experience. Worst of all is it escaped afterwards into the depths of my garage which means a trip out there now to hunt for tools etc. Is akin to how ripley must have felt in "Aliens" when she goes on a journey to the depths of the building to rescue newt.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Strange they come inside. Our Redbacks stay the feck away from humans where possible. Got close a few times but that was me being careless in the garage (note to self, wear those damn gloves). White tips.on the other hand, evil transient spiders that love a bed...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My lad has been bitten twice in the space of 3 weeks. First time was his middle finger, swelled up like a pork sausage. Then last week he woke up with a face like he'd gone 6 rounds with Muhammed I'm 'ard Bruce Lee. His room has had a good cleanout since after I said he'd better hope it didn't go for his bollocks.

Yoda

English & European
I had a spider or insect bite on my knee earlier this year. Really painful like I had damaged my ligaments or tendons. Ended up getting infected and a mild case of blood poisoning, should've seen the size of the crap that came out of it, and took 3 months to completely heal up with no pain and to be able to put direct pressure on to the area (as in kneeling down on it).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I got bit by a big house spider a few years back while half asleep in bed. Was not nice at all, the bite area was painfull off and on for several weeks and would pulse with pain for several minutes regularly.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've seen more spiders around this month than in the rest of the year put together. There's one that lives on the ceiling in the bathroom (harmless, no question) that likes to descend rapidly down to level with my face every time I go to brush my teeth, which is somewhat disconcerting.

Whilst we're on the subject of bitey, stingy things: I came in from work the other night to hear a loud angry buzzing noise coming from behind the kitchen blinds (stop it...). I'd not heard any insect make that sort of noise before, in terms of volume. I couldn't be arsed to deal with it- was about 3am at the time- so I went to shut the blinds properly to make sure whatever it was stayed put.

At which point the largest wasp (or wasp-type creature) I've ever seen emerged and started zooming furiously around the kitchen. I've honestly never seen anything like it, it must have been almost a couple of inches long, far bigger than any normal wasp or bee. I actually thought it was two together for a moment, but before I fled the kitchen in horror, slamming the door behind me, I managed to confirm that it was in fact just one, monstrous thing.

Any idea what the bloody hell it was? There were no more of them, so I kind of assumed it wasn't a queen. It was definitely black with yellow bits, and what looked like quite a large head. Could it have been some kind of hornet? :ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here