Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New cars

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I'm thinking about buying a new car, I've only ever gone second hand before so I'm looking to NSC for some advice.

Looking for something like a Dacia Duster as the top trim one look great but still comparatively cheap.

I want something that has room for the baby and abit of space.

Any advice on cars/when to buy/deals would be gratefully received.

Yours in ignorance,

Drumstick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Buying new means you lose a lot of money very quickly, a Dacia will lose even more as a percentage of the purchase price.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Flexible to an extent but in or around £20k

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Like someone said already, you're going to lose a large proportion of value the minute you drive it off the forecourt, more so as its a Dacia.
Dacia aren't a particularly sought after car, and for a good reason......they're not particularly good.
For £20k there are a lot better cars around, £20k will get you a very good year old car that has already lost its depreciation leaving you a better value for eventual resale.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
£250 a month will get you a good lease car with no initial outlay

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
Like someone said already, you're going to lose a large proportion of value the minute you drive it off the forecourt, more so as its a Dacia.
Dacia aren't a particularly sought after car, and for a good reason......they're not particularly good.
For £20k there are a lot better cars around, £20k will get you a very good year old car that has already lost its depreciation leaving you a better value for eventual resale.

On the other hand I guess with a new car you don't have to worry whether the previous owner thrashed it about or if there are any other hidden secrets. Could be worth the premium for some.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I'm thinking about buying a new car, I've only ever gone second hand before so I'm looking to NSC for some advice.

Looking for something like a Dacia Duster as the top trim one look great but still comparatively cheap.

I want something that has room for the baby and abit of space.

Any advice on cars/when to buy/deals would be gratefully received.

Yours in ignorance,

Drumstick

If you are paying cash, I seem to remember someone on a similar thread saying that you may be able to get certain add ons and upgrades free of charge if you take out a finance deal ( as you don't get much discount or extras paying by cash ).If this indeed the case, find out what you freebies you may be entitled to on a finance package and then pay the loan off within a week or so ( without ever letting on to the car sales staff ). Free extras and no interest as you've paid off the loan.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
On the other hand I guess with a new car you don't have to worry whether the previous owner thrashed it about or if there are any other hidden secrets. Could be worth the premium for some.
I guess so, but a year old car will still have a minimum of 2 years manufacturers warranty.
Obviously if budget allows then everyone would choose a brand new car.
Personally for me, the choice of a brand new Dacia or a year old something else, I'd choose the year old car.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
We had a budget, so looked at Dacia, but decided on a Hyundai i30 instead. I know the thread said brand new, ours was just under three years old, but only had 6K on the clock. They have a 5 year guarantee.
It was the Hyundai garage at Seaford. Have a look, as we're very pleased with ours.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I really would not buy a brand new car, we did it once and although there was a recession so we really haggled hard the moment you drive off the car showroom you are chucking money away, literally.

As stated get an ex demo as far cheaper and better value.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
In other parts of the world the Duster is sold under the Renault marquee ( yes i know Dacia is owned by Renault) as a Renault Duster.
Its only the UK as i understand it that sells them under the Dacia name.

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
I'm in a similar position in looking for something a bit bigger but can't decide if I want / need an MPV, estate or SUV... or if I can still justify an mk7 GTI to replace my mk6 because I won't have the kids in it for long journeys 'that' often... :)

If it helps with your search I've considered a Ford C-Max, Golf SV, Mercedes B Class and I like the look of the new Seat Ateca; maybe an Audi Q3 if I see a bargain one. Would never buy brand new though... always between 1 and 3 years old, it's just better value for money.

Jan 30, 2008
We had a budget, so looked at Dacia, but decided on a Hyundai i30 instead. I know the thread said brand new, ours was just under three years old, but only had 6K on the clock. They have a 5 year guarantee.
It was the Hyundai garage at Seaford. Have a look, as we're very pleased with ours.
did Mr Ori DO YOU A DEAL THEN :whistle:
regards
DR

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
In other parts of the world the Duster is sold under the Renault marquee ( yes i know Dacia is owned by Renault) as a Renault Duster.
Its only the UK as i understand it that sells them under the Dacia name.

Sold in France as a Dacia ....I was there 2 weeks ago and looked in a Renault showroom as I did noy know Dacia was owned my Renault.
Dacia are quite popular at the moment in France, personaly I would not buy a Dacia Dustbin.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'd have always said go 'nearly new' rather than new but last time I changed my car used Carwow website and it worked very well. If you know what vehicle you're after, go on there, choose all the bits and pieces you want and, if it works well, you'll get car dealers competing for your business with their best offer. In my case, I got a discount on the list price of over 20%. These are brand new, UK spec cars - not 'imports' or 'second registered owner' vehicles. Once you get the deal, you're not realistically going to get any more off but, on past experience, I really don't think I'd have managed the price I achieved if I'd been negotiating from scratch. Just so you know, I'm have no affiliation to the website or the motor trade...

I'm sure it varies by manufacturer (didn't have much joy getting a discount with Skoda, for instance) but in my case the deal price was so close to the cost of a 'nearly new' version of the same car, it was a no-brainer to go for it.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patreon
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
If you are paying cash, I seem to remember someone on a similar thread saying that you may be able to get certain add ons and upgrades free of charge if you take out a finance deal ( as you don't get much discount or extras paying by cash ).If this indeed the case, find out what you freebies you may be entitled to on a finance package and then pay the loan off within a week or so ( without ever letting on to the car sales staff ). Free extras and no interest as you've paid off the loan.

I've done this. Saved me an extra £1k on a new Ford Fiesta for my wife. The dealer recommended though that I pay 2 months instalments (extra £50 in interest ) before paying it all off. I wad trying yo find the catch but there wasn't one! Also , I used Carwow website to check all the deals beforehand.

theboybilly

Another one here to recommend Hyundai. My missus bought her first brand new car (an i10) from Tates at Portslade and for the price I think you'd be pushed to beat it. It has everything fitted that you need bar Satnav but at a £20k budget that will surely come fitted. The i10 has cruise control and air-con and just seems so well thought out. A decent warranty gives peace of mind. If I change cars soon I think Hyundai will be top of my list.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here