Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom's Learning Curve: Gradually Getting There

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Needlessly kicking my heels same as everybody else for a fortnight while the season grinds to a halt, barely a month after it's started, thought I'd throw this topic into the air for no good reason at all, other than to hopefully generate some healthy discussion and a life-affirming amount of abuse.

Seems to me that Tony Bloom is on a learning curve of what it takes to get out of this division (upwards) and is coping admirably with it. Having built a beautiful stadium and a futuristic training ground that allows everyday players to swan around in bathrobes like they were holy roman emperors or something, reckon he's now finally starting to realise the things that WON'T get us promoted. First thing to go was the concept of the 'exotic' foreign manager, more or less just for the sake of having one. That's been firmly kicked into touch. Secondly, the nice-but-naive thing about 'not standing in the way of a player who wants to better themselves'. The hard line recently shows a commendable firming of attitude to players under contract. Third step - and the one to complete the learning process shirley? The skimping on the buying-in of quality players at current market rates.

Discuss. Abuse. Fill yer boots. :thumbsup:

theboybilly

I'm not so sure the idea of a foreign Head Coach has been truly kicked inti touch. If Chris walked and a decent manager from abroad became available TB would be daft not to consider him. Other than that I agree with your post.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
After losing out to Man City on goal difference Fergurson said it would never happen again and in the summer they signed RVP

The same logic should have applied here surely?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't see any change in TB's approach to recruitment.

Every player has been able to leave when that players (somewhat inflated) value has been met.
The only difference this time was the players value.

I also don't think TB has learned the value of centre forwards.
He still seems unwilling to 'gamble' and just go for it and spend x millions on Billy Goalscorer, if there's not potential for profit.

That's what's going to the Albion in the Championship until such time as a youth product gets the job done.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
After losing out to Man City on goal difference Fergurson said it would never happen again and in the summer they signed RVP

The same logic should have applied here surely?

Definitely esp as a 9 (?) player rebuild was paid for last season and the squad could have, if really necessary, made a striker the only signing of this window.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Could it be that TB is looking at doing the same as last year in looking at the position at Christmas and then signing players as needed in January although he has said he doesn't like the January window. I would hope the recruitment team are looking now for January if needed. in the 1 position we are lacking a back up striker

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Could it be that TB is looking at doing the same as last year in looking at the position at Christmas and then signing players as needed in January although he has said he doesn't like the January window. I would hope the recruitment team are looking now for January if needed. in the 1 position we are lacking a back up striker
We bought Skalak and Knockaert in January.

I think this is another part of Bloom's learning curve: if the correct player becomes available (at the right price) we'll buy him in January.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Seeing how parachute payments have enabled Championship clubs to buy strikers for £10m+ I don't see how we can complete with that buying power presently, and will be looking to unearth a foreign player who is under the radar and available for a more reasonable fee, or relying on the season long loan option.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
His whole strategy was to build for the future and make the club self sufficient. Buy players with potential profits or short term experienced players where there is no potential profit. And become a top class academy capable of feeding the first team.

I am worried that the ridiculous prices being paid mean we can't rely on the academy and will have to chase vastly overpriced players. I am glad we didn't play stupid money but how many of the so called JCLs will stay around if we don't go up soon. I don't know if TB will be able to hold his nerve and stick to the plan.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here