Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fave Bus Routes in Brighton & Hove

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Well we had a thread on favourite bus stops in the city recently, so I thought why not start one on fave bus routes?

If we are just going to consider routes that run at least partly in Brighton & Hove, I'd like to nominate two.

Firstly, probably most peoples favourite, the Coaster 12 group of routes, starting in Brighton, and meandering along the coast, past Rottingdean, Peacehaven, Newhaven, and Seaford, taking in glorious sea views en route, and of course Seven Sisters and Beachy Head, before reaching the seaside town of Eastbourne.

I'm also a fan of a very different route, the 27, especially travelling westbound, after it turns off from Dyke Road, and gingerly navigates the hilly residential estates of Westdene, quite a feat for a double decker in some places!, before ending up outside Withdean Stadium.

Feel free to nominate other routes within Sussex, if you would like to look further afield. I could wax lyrical about the Stagecoach 17, but I don't want to send too many of you to sleep.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
The old green southdown number 17 open top from rottingdean to devils dyke was a brilliant way to spend the day if alls you had to spend was a shilling

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The 28/29 out to Tunbridge Wells. You see so much fantastic countryside ... and some decent pubs on the route if you want to break your journey

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
13X

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The 3 and the 7. Special mention to the old blue 81.

You could probably triangulate those services to find out which area used to live in. (if you're sad enough)

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Well we had a thread on favourite bus stops in the city recently, so I thought why not start one on fave bus routes?

If we are just going to consider routes that run at least partly in Brighton & Hove, I'd like to nominate two.

Firstly, probably most peoples favourite, the Coaster 12 group of routes, starting in Brighton, and meandering along the coast, past Rottingdean, Peacehaven, Newhaven, and Seaford, taking in glorious sea views en route, and of course Seven Sisters and Beachy Head, before reaching the seaside town of Eastbourne.

I'm also a fan of a very different route, the 27, especially travelling westbound, after it turns off from Dyke Road, and gingerly navigates the hilly residential estates of Westdene, quite a feat for a double decker in some places!, before ending up outside Withdean Stadium.

Feel free to nominate other routes within Sussex, if you would like to look further afield. I could wax lyrical about the Stagecoach 17, but I don't want to send too many of you to sleep.

Surely an undercurrent of smugness for thee. How can anyone offer a route that matches the number 17 ? A splendid run on a lovely summer day and the Partridge Green route where no-one seems to get on or off.

I wonder if the Partridge Green diversion is something to do with an agreement after the Beeching axe.

Wasn't that route known as the 117 at some stage ? (Southdown).

D

Deleted User X18H

The old green southdown number 17 open top from rottingdean to devils dyke was a brilliant way to spend the day if alls you had to spend was a shilling

That was the 77 dear boy

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
That was the 77 dear boy

Well it may well be 77 now i don't know but when i were a lad twas the No17

n the 1950s the number 17 open top service used to run during the summer months only, and ran to Rottingdean from the bottom of Boundary Road, not from Portslade Station. The starting point was outside of what was then Spragens the newsagents. Until the re-organisation of this site, there used to be a photograph of a visiting Australian cyclist with a number 17 in the background, before the start of its journey. Behind the bus in the photo was Luff's the bakers, on the cerner of Seaford road and Boundary Road. I seem to recall that sometime later the number 17 service also ran up to the Devil's Dyke for a while.

By Alan Phillips (08/06/2007)

So pleased on comments about No. 17 to Rottingdean. We used to get it at Adelaide Crescent. I have been trying to find a model of it but no luck. Does anyone know where I can get one? Please email me at gswaller06@aol.com.

By Sandie Waller (11/06/2007)

Here's a picture of a bus :lolol:

cb9b45b974eb8df0a8d2989aa28fc03e.jpg

Jul 7, 2003
Surely an undercurrent of smugness for thee. How can anyone offer a route that matches the number 17 ? A splendid run on a lovely summer day and the Partridge Green route where no-one seems to get on or off.

Used by loads of school / college kids in Partridge Green and also a favourite with those doing the brewery tour at Dark Star.

Was my favourite route when we were at Withdean. Everyone else would squeeze onto one of the 5's at St Peters Church and we would wait for the little number 17 to pop around the corner. Most people seemed unaware that you could use your travel voucher on this bus so we would join the old ladies on the 17 for a swift trip north to Withdean with very few stops whereas the 5 would seem to take forever as it stopped every 100 yards or so.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

I wonder if the Partridge Green diversion is something to do with an agreement after the Beeching axe.

Wasn't that route known as the 117 at some stage ? (Southdown).

It was the 17 when Southdown ran it. My Dad came from Henfield.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here