Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TV licence iPlayer change, Do you now need a licence?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Seen on previous thread re people not needing a licence as they don't watch live TV,
But now they have closed that loophole will you now buy a licence?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37243332

New TV licence rules have come into force, with changes affecting people who watch BBC programmes on iPlayer.
As before, anyone watching or recording TV programmes as they are broadcast must have a licence.
Here are the answers to some common questions about the legal changes.
How has the law changed?
Previously, only viewers who were watching shows live (as they were being broadcast) needed a licence.
That meant it was legal to watch content after broadcast via iPlayer without paying the annual licence fee.
From Thursday, people need a TV licence to download or watch almost all on-demand and catch-up programmes on iPlayer.
What can I watch without a TV licence?
The rules only apply to iPlayer, so you do not need a TV licence if you only ever watch on-demand or catch-up programmes through other service providers - as long as they don't use iPlayer.
This means that - for example - you can watch on-demand and catch-up BBC programmes on third-party services such as Netflix without needing a TV licence, but you wouldn't be able to watch any on-demand and catch-up BBC programmes on iPlayer through services like Now TV, Sky, Virgin, Amazon Fire TV and Chromecast without a TV licence.
If you only watch on-demand and catch-up television, and you only ever watch it using services from other providers, such as the ITV Hub or All 4, then you also wouldn't need a TV licence.
If you only use iPlayer to listen to the radio, watch S4C TV on demand, or watch films or TV shows you have bought from the BBC Store, then you do not need a TV licence.
What are the rules for students?
Person using BBC iPlayer on a tablet
In certain circumstances, students may be covered by their parents' TV licence. TV Licensing says four conditions need to apply:
The student only ever uses a device that is powered by its internal batteries (e.g. a laptop, mobile phone or tablet device) to watch live TV or watch and download programmes on iPlayer
They have not connected it to an aerial or plugged it into the mains
Their permanent address (outside term time) is their parents' home
Their parents have a valid TV licence
So if you plug your device in to charge it while you are watching live TV, or catch-up or on-demand programmes on iPlayer, then you need a TV licence.
Students can find out more by visiting the TV Licensing student information webpage or by calling 0300 790 6113.
TV licence changes: Young people's thoughts
How can TV Licensing check whether I have a licence or need one?
TV Licensing details on its website the ways in which it can check whether you have a licence, including a database of more than 31 million addresses, and home visits.
A fleet of detector vans can "detect the use of TV receiving equipment at specifically targeted addresses within minutes", it says.
In a statement, a TV Licensing spokesman said it would not use mass surveillance techniques nor ask internet providers for IP addresses.
"We will simply use existing enforcement processes and techniques which we believe to be adequate and appropriate. Our current procedures enable us to catch those watching on devices other than televisions," he added.
A government White Paper did ask the BBC to consider the cost and feasibility of a verification or sign-in system for iPlayer, and it is understood that TV Licensing will consider the costs and benefits of such a system in the future.
At present, no major changes to the ways that iPlayer asks you about your TV licence are expected.
A BBC spokesperson said: "Previously, a pop-up window appeared asking viewers to confirm they've got a TV licence when they click to play live BBC content on iPlayer, and from Thursday, that will update to include on-demand BBC programmes on iPlayer."
What are the penalties for not having a licence?

If you need a licence and do not have one, you are breaking the law and risk being prosecuted.
You could be fined up to £1,000 (the maximum fine is £2,000 in Guernsey and £500 in Jersey) - excluding any legal costs or compensation you may be ordered to pay.
TV Licences are available online from the TV Licensing website.
You can also purchase one by post or telephone, or at one of more than 28,000 PayPoint outlets across the UK.
How much does it cost?
A colour TV licence costs £145.50 per year, while a black-and-white TV licence costs £49.
There are some concessions for the blind and for care home residents, and there is no charge for people over the age of 75.
The cost to businesses varies.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
seem to have made a simple rule pretty complicated.

dont know why BBC/Government didnt take the opportuntiy to make iplayer a subscription service, included for free with licence or paid seperately without. with the popularity in the US and elsewhere of the BBC output, this would open up a very significant revenue stream.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

dont know why BBC/Government didnt take the opportuntiy to make iplayer a subscription service, included for free with licence or paid seperately without. with the popularity in the US and elsewhere of the BBC output, this would open up a very significant revenue stream.
Yes, a pin number for subscribers would suffice.

The student rules strike me as being laughably unworkable. They are allowed to watch so long as the device is not plugged into the mains? Ridiculous!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yes, a pin number for subscribers would suffice.

The student rules strike me as being laughably unworkable. They are allowed to watch so long as the device is not plugged into the mains? Ridiculous!

What's even more laughable is that TVL claim that they have enforcement methods ..... yeh, OK !!!! No registration required, no access to ISP records .... of course they have enforcement methods ..... not :dunce:

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013

A slippery slope.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
So if you don't have a television at home but do have a computer and an internet connection....or even a smartphone thinking about it you now need a TV license because you could in theory watch iPlayer??

Dec 29, 2011
So if you don't have a television at home but do have a computer and an internet connection....or even a smartphone thinking about it you now need a TV license because you could in theory watch iPlayer??

This has always been the case because previously watching live iplayer required a TV license. The law has been updated to include watching catch up TV on iplayer too.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

No. You only need to buy a license if you actually watch iPlayer.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...loophole-for-whiny-freeloaders-20160902113219

BBC closes loophole for whiny freeloaders

PEOPLE with an absurd sense of entitlement will no longer be able to watch BBC iPlayer for free, the broadcaster has confirmed.

The broadcaster closed the loophole, which allowed people access to billions of pounds worth of entertainment for free, yesterday after a high-level decision that those people could go fvck themselves.

Craft beer ambassador Tom Booker said: “I don’t own a television, I don’t have a television aerial on the chimney of my house, I don’t even have a house. I’m contemporary.

“So when I’m watching Bake-Off ironically on my MacBook I shouldn’t be liable for any licence fee, because what I am doing is completely different and cooler.

“YouTube’s free, and I don’t see the distinction between high-quality content by a broadcasting organisation which is the envy of the world and blurred smartphone footage of teenagers punching each other’s groins.

“Where does this end? Paying for music?”

A BBC spokesman said: “We’ve got Attenborough, you whiny bitches, so pay up.”

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..

a few years ago i met a chap who worked for paypal... he told me the bbc were working on making iplayer subscription using paypal as he was working on the beginnings of it.. seems to have taken a long time if so....

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
TV licence nowadays seems about as irrelevant as a dog licence. There's so many ways round paying for the content they may as well bite the bullet and take advertising (like they do if you're watching BBC World from abroad) and compete with the other broadcasters.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
As if students will get a TV licence for when they are watching iplayer and charging their device.

I can see a lot of knock knock at the door, a twitch of the currents and the students see a TV van outside and pull the plug out before answering the door. Hello, we believe you were watching BBC iplayer while charging your device. No I wasn't look its not plugged in.

A stupid rule to say the least.

Why not abolish the TV Licence and either replace with adverts on the BBC or just increase Income Tax by say 0.5% points and ring fence that to the BBC.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
TV licence nowadays seems about as irrelevant as a dog licence. There's so many ways round paying for the content they may as well bite the bullet and take advertising (like they do if you're watching BBC World from abroad) and compete with the other broadcasters.

I dunno, what percentage of people are actually cheating the system?

I don't think competition is necessarily a good thing for an arts platform. Wall to wall ant and dec/soaps might be the future.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here