Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Setting up a UK bank account from abroad/offshore banking

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
After some help/if anyone has had to do something similar. I moved to SA 6 years ago and no longer have a UK Bank Account. I've been offered some contract work by a UK company which really needs to be paid into a UK account. Does anyone know if this is possible from overseas with no UK address. I've called several UK banks and they obviously say I need to do it in person with utility bills etc. Anyone had to do the same

An offshore account may be an option but I dont know much about them and from what I can see you need to put a hefty deposit in there

Any advice from NSCs finest?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
After some help/if anyone has had to do something similar. I moved to SA 6 years ago and no longer have a UK Bank Account. I've been offered some contract work by a UK company which really needs to be paid into a UK account. Does anyone know if this is possible from overseas with no UK address. I've called several UK banks and they obviously say I need to do it in person with utility bills etc. Anyone had to do the same

An offshore account may be an option but I dont know much about them and from what I can see you need to put a hefty deposit in there

Any advice from NSCs finest?

Barclays International Banking have UK bank accounts for Non Dom's. Easy to open and they also own ABSA which might simplify the process too

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Barclays International Banking have UK bank accounts for Non Dom's. Easy to open and they also own ABSA which might simplify the process too

Thank you that was my first port of call this morning due the ABSA connect, though I need to call their "wealth consultants" on Mon-Fri

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I did this the other way round - opened a bank in Florida without being there.
I choose HSBC as I knew they owned First Direct and I already had a First Direct account in the UK.

Was over 10 years ago now but as I remember, the overseas bank [branch] was happy for my identity evidence to be ratified by HSBC in the UK

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
All the big banks have similar offshore account offerings for your situation. Should be no problem opening the account from SA as long as you can supply the required docs for identification and address verification. Most of the accounts will be run out of operations in either the Isle of Man or Channel Islands. Type of account can vary depending on what you want, how you want to access it, how much money you're going to put through it and what 'add ons' you want.

As an example here are the Lloyds options : http://international.lloydsbank.com...gclid=CIrBlMGU884CFRPjGwodXjgK-w&gclsrc=aw.ds

HSBC equivalent : https://www.expat.hsbc.com/1/2/hsbc-expat/why-hsbc-expat/making-life-easier-for-expats

Incidentally Barclays is selling off it's stake in ABSA (interesting for me as I set up the ABSA Wealth management compliance function after the purchase a few years back......)

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
All the big banks have similar offshore account offerings for your situation. Should be no problem opening the account from SA as long as you can supply the required docs for identification and address verification. Most of the accounts will be run out of operations in either the Isle of Man or Channel Islands. Type of account can vary depending on what you want, how you want to access it, how much money you're going to put through it and what 'add ons' you want.

As an example here are the Lloyds options : http://international.lloydsbank.com...gclid=CIrBlMGU884CFRPjGwodXjgK-w&gclsrc=aw.ds

HSBC equivalent : https://www.expat.hsbc.com/1/2/hsbc-expat/why-hsbc-expat/making-life-easier-for-expats

Incidentally Barclays is selling off it's stake in ABSA (interesting for me as I set up the ABSA Wealth management compliance function after the purchase a few years back......)

The HSBC Expat service is pretty good and should be feasible for you to open remotely and then once you've had that account for a month or so you could approach the UK retail arm with ease

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here