Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brian Clough offering Dean Saunders a job!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That is a classic!

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I found the story quite amusing in some ways, but also quite sad, as it was evident from the tale Saunders told, however affectionate it may have been meant, the extent to which Clough's alcoholism had taken hold by that point for him to behave in the way that he did.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That is quite extraordinary. It certainly was the era of the cult of personality, but the question for me is to what extent does this sort of thing happen today? The antics of Clough, and in other walks of life the untrammeled excesses of Robert Maxwell, Jimmy Savile, etc etc seem unthinkable now. But in recent times we have Philip Greene, and back to footy, Mourinho at Chelsea last season . . . .human beings do seem to love and tolerate an egomaniac machiavellian psychopath . . . .

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
That is quite extraordinary. It certainly was the era of the cult of personality, but the question for me is to what extent does this sort of thing happen today? The antics of Clough, and in other walks of life the untrammeled excesses of Robert Maxwell, Jimmy Savile, etc etc seem unthinkable now. But in recent times we have Philip Greene, and back to footy, Mourinho at Chelsea last season . . . .human beings do seem to love and tolerate an egomaniac machiavellian psychopath . . . .

At least we now seem to catch them before they die.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
And to think we practically gave DS away nice one Barry. :tosser:

More the decision of the board than Barry Lloyd I think.

But yes that's a wonderful story. I'm just surprised that it hasn't surfaced before. Maybe Dean was just keeping it quiet for some reason.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here