Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mobile Phones abroad question

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
What's the difference between turning off "roaming" and turning off "mobile data".:dunce:

Not sure about that but I do know I recently had a £1.99 per day all in package with O2 which was very reassuuring

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What's the difference between turning off "roaming" and turning off "mobile data".:dunce:

I think if roaming is off, you will only pick up calls and texts abroad. If you turn off mobile data you will essentially do the same in the UK and abroad and be restricted to wifi only

The O2 1.99/day package is ace - happy to pay that to be sure of not racking up huge charges but still have full access.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
How do you stop "background" updates going on and using up your data, although I guess 100mb per day takes some burning up. Not sure what 100mb equates to in real use.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Data roaming - If you turn this on you will use data on any network you are roaming on
Mobile data - This is the on/off switch for if you connect to mobile network data at all. If data roaming is off it will only connect on your home network.

Only turn on data roaming if you've got some kind of data roaming package.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
How do you stop "background" updates going on and using up your data, although I guess 100mb per day takes some burning up. Not sure what 100mb equates to in real use.

Are you on Android? Go in to the Google Play app -> Settings -> Auto-update apps. You can turn it off or set it to Wi-Fi only

For other updates (syncing accounts etc.) you can go into the Android Settings -> General -> Accounts & Sync and turn off Auto-sync data

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Are you on Android? Go in to the Google Play app -> Settings -> Auto-update apps. You can turn it off or set it to Wi-Fi only

For other updates (syncing accounts etc.) you can go into the Android Settings -> General -> Accounts & Sync and turn off Auto-sync data

Thanks for that

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Used it in the USA, all calls, texts, data for £20, it was a bargain

Same here. I think my monthly payment is £11 and I have used mine in the US, France and Spain in the past year.

PS The Fatherland isn't part of the deal......wouldn't happen in Germany.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here