Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Curved TVs

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Does it make a difference?

I'm currently looking for an upgrade on my tellybox (mines 10 years old and looks sad).

I realise I should trust my eyes and my eyes say "they look GREAT".

But am I falling for the GIMMICK? Anyone else here gone for a nice bent one?

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
Does it make a difference?

I'm currently looking for an upgrade on my tellybox (mines 10 years old and looks sad).

I realise I should trust my eyes and my eyes say "they look GREAT".

But am I falling for the GIMMICK? Anyone else here gone for a nice bent one?
Are you going to watch on your own or with family and friends? Curved screens have a smaller 'sweet spot' which is obviously central if its just a 2 seater sofa fine, if its a number of seating positions forget the gimmick and save £300 odd quid.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Complete and utter GIMMICK. I've looked at them in Hills and Currys and they're fine if you're bang in front of them, but not so great if you're sitting at an angle. Plus when you've got banner menus on the screen (Sky etc), they're all BENT. And the sets themselves look stupid when they're wall-mounted.

I love them though. Just like that other pointless short-lived fad 3D TV's, they've forced down the price of all the perfectly excellent gimmick-free TV's. I just bought a 48" 4k Panasonic for £420 for my lads 21st birthday. Now what a bit of kit THAT is.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Unless you're central to the screen then I wouldn't waste your money. The viewing angle will decrease on one side if you move at all.
It's nothing more than the latest sales gimmick, and a very poor one at that.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I think it depends on the size. Mine is curved and is 78". It's amazing. I'm not sure it will have the same effect on a smaller screen though.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Thanks all.

It's just....well...they are so PRETTY.

I think saving the money on the curved aspect and PLOUGHING it back into a nice little sound package may be the way forward.

My tv will be in the corner of the room and we're only really thinking about 43" so the benefits of a curved tv may be wasted on us.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Thanks all.

It's just....well...they are so PRETTY.

I think saving the money on the curved aspect and PLOUGHING it back into a nice little sound package may be the way forward.

My tv will be in the corner of the room and we're only really thinking about 43" so the benefits of a curved tv may be wasted on us.

Got a 43inch Blaupunkt from Tesco a couple of weeks back for £179. Sound isn't great so we're looking into soundbars/external speakers, but for the TV alone, I thought it was a bargain.

At no point did I consider curved TV, just like I never considered 3D when it was (briefly) 'popular'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here